japan trip in August for comiket!

Hikari__

Reaction score
hi all, i would like to ask some questions, hope you guys can help me with my planning.. thank you in advance! haha..

anyone been to comiket? this year's comiket will be on 12-14th august (fri - sun). Are there any major difference in different days of comiket?

i planned to fly on the 8th aug midnight arriving in tokyo morning on the 9th.

Itinerary:

9th August (tues) - touch down + check in + shopping at Shibuya

10th August (wed) - whole day @ Shinjuku

11th August (thurs) - whole day @ Akihabara

12th August (fri) - Tsukiji market + Comiket @ Tokyo Big Sight + sleep early

13th August (sat) - Morning Asakusa's temples and shrines + Ueno Park + Ikebukuro

14th August (sun) - whole day @ Harajuku.

15th aug (mon) if departure @ 6am, will then spend the night @ airport.

Questions:

1) is my itinerary too relaxed? i want to just take it slow and easy, but is it too laxed?

2) on 14th august, if i were to check out early, which i think i have to, are there any temporary places where i can put my luggage while i go shopping/sight-seeing @ harajuku? like capsule hotel?

3) seeing that i am just touring within tokyo, how can i lower my transportation fee? i am not sure whether i will be touching down at narita or haneda, how far are they from the places i want to go?

4) should i stay in 1 single hotel? or are there recommendations for must-stay hotels at different parts of tokyo?

sorry for all the questions! thank you in advance!!!

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) usually i would plan for 2 places a day. but this is really up to individual. if u are afraid that the itinerary is too relax, u can have some backup plans, maybe for evening/night for each day

2) u can always check out and leave the luggage with the hotel lobby, and come back in the evening to collect luggage. if not, there are lockers at JR stations that are large enough for luggage

3) around tokyo, dun think there are ways to reduce transport fee. coz the day passes are not worth it in ur case as u are going very few places a day.
narita is quite far, about 1-1.5hrs from tokyo. haneda is nearer.

4) just stay at one hotel so dun have to check in and out, and bring luggage around. popular hotels are sunroute shinjuku and toyoko-inn

Hikari__

Reaction score
Thank you evilerniex!

I am thinking of staying in hostels where I can interact with foreigners cuz I plan to travel alone.. Any recommendations?

hmm I know I sound ridiculous, but i plan to go alone and I am scared of ghosts, wondering are there any haunted hotels or hostels so I can avoid..? Haha

gundamhamtaro

Reaction score
Itinerary:

9th August (tues) - touch down + check in + shopping at Shibuya

10th August (wed) - whole day @ Shinjuku

11th August (thurs) - whole day @ Akihabara
advise u to queue at Big Sight this night to get the whole comiket experience

12th August (fri) - Tsukiji market + Comiket @ Tokyo Big Sight + sleep early
forget Tsukiji on this day and spend whole day til evening at big sight. remember to bring lots of water and food rations so u no nd to go out for lunch and go back in again. trust me when u see the crowd u wont feel like exiting and re-enter.

13th August (sat) - Morning Asakusa's temples and shrines + Ueno Park + Ikebukuro

14th August (sun) - whole day @ Harajuku.
maybe move Tsukiji to this day

15th aug (mon) if departure @ 6am, will then spend the night @ airport.

Questions:

1) is my itinerary too relaxed? i want to just take it slow and easy, but is it too laxed?
if u wan to take it slow and easy then why bother about it being too laxed??? just relax and do wat u want slowly man

2) on 14th august, if i were to check out early, which i think i have to, are there any temporary places where i can put my luggage while i go shopping/sight-seeing @ harajuku? like capsule hotel?
u will wan to leave yr luggage in train station lockers, most ex is 500 yen.

3) seeing that i am just touring within tokyo, how can i lower my transportation fee? i am not sure whether i will be touching down at narita or haneda, how far are they from the places i want to go?
choose Haneda, no fight. although i think air tix will be more ex? cos the budget airlines dont land there

4) should i stay in 1 single hotel? or are there recommendations for must-stay hotels at different parts of tokyo?
1 single hotel is gd enough

popular items will be sold out on the first day of comiket. so u better go on first day and fight with the other otakus there lol. i forgot if the community made staying overnight before the first day of event illegal, u can go the official site to have a look. remember hentai doujinshi is illegal in SG hor =:p if u wan to save travelling time or wat when u go Big Sight, just sleep in the internet cafes there. be warned though during comiket u have to go in early otherwise confirm no space.

Hikari__

Reaction score
popular items will be sold out on the first day of comiket. so u better go on first day and fight with the other otakus there lol. i forgot if the community made staying overnight before the first day of event illegal, u can go the official site to have a look. remember hentai doujinshi is illegal in SG hor =:p if u wan to save travelling time or wat when u go Big Sight, just sleep in the internet cafes there. be warned though during comiket u have to go in early otherwise confirm no space.

omgggg the queue sooooooo long!!! den mus queue overnight and bring lots of food and drink like what you said.

and HUHHHHH i wanna go there to buy yaoi doujinshi lehhhhhhh... cant bring to singapore?!?!?!??!?!?!

thanks for your help...

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
japanese really love to queue. when i went tokyo anime festival in 2008, the queue was about 1km long when i reached at 9am. took us 2hrs to get in.

if u are not planning to get limited/exclusive items, then dun go on the first day. and go in the afternoon, it slightly less crowded.

gundamhamtaro

Reaction score
omgggg the queue sooooooo long!!! den mus queue overnight and bring lots of food and drink like what you said.

and HUHHHHH i wanna go there to buy yaoi doujinshi lehhhhhhh... cant bring to singapore?!?!?!??!?!?!

thanks for your help...

so first timer right? bring at least a 1L bottle of drink and get some food tht can be eaten on the go like onigiri, sandwich etc.

as evilerniex has said, if u not planning to get limited stuff go in noon or last day. but since u said u wan yaoi doujin......................dont know how u trying to bring back lol gd luck. maybe some lurkers here will have advise for that?

Hikari__

Reaction score
so first timer right? bring at least a 1L bottle of drink and get some food tht can be eaten on the go like onigiri, sandwich etc.

as evilerniex has said, if u not planning to get limited stuff go in noon or last day. but since u said u wan yaoi doujin......................dont know how u trying to bring back lol gd luck. maybe some lurkers here will have advise for that?

sure! water n food... i dont think i want any specific limited stuff since its my first time, dunno whats limited there also. lol.

anyone helpppp? i want bring yaoi back... is it possible???? hmmm but how come i cn buy yaoi from sg huh..?

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i went for dec one last year
wah cow
so crowded
during august will be even hotter
if u wana to poto cospray
the roof also got
i din know
whole 3 days stay in the cramped car park on level 1

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i have not been to comiket but from what i hear from my friends who have went, you better have a battle plan before flying over.

doujin groups will already have released what they will be selling and their booth details (check their sites/blogs/twitter etc) and get the offical guide (released in both print and cd form) to reference the layout so you can plan your route.

judging by your comment on what you want at comiket, you might want to spend more time at ikebukuro. its not called otome rd for nothing lol. also of interest is nakano broadway might want to check that out too.

anne hostal at asakusa bashi is not bad. its close enough to akihabara that you can walk there. the tradeoff is that it has no washing machine. breakfast is provided but its always hardboiled eggs and toast.

Last edited:

Hikari__

Reaction score
i have not been to comiket but from what i hear from my friends who have went, you better have a battle plan before flying over.

doujin groups will already have released what they will be selling and their booth details (check their sites/blogs/twitter etc) and get the offical guide (released in both print and cd form) to reference the layout so you can plan your route.

judging by your comment on what you want at comiket, you might want to spend more time at ikebukuro. its not called otome rd for nothing lol. also of interest is nakano broadway might want to check that out too.

anne hostal at asakusa bashi is not bad. its close enough to akihabara that you can walk there. the tradeoff is that it has no washing machine. breakfast is provided but its always hardboiled eggs and toast.

i see.. yeah, i searched ikebukuro and i think i should dedicate 1 day there at least. haha!

thanks for the recommendation! =)

gundamhamtaro

Reaction score
online catalogs will appear around July, so better take a look to decide wat u want (aka have a battle plan lol by deciding on yr items and wat route to take to maximise time).

Hikari__

Reaction score
online catalogs will appear around July, so better take a look to decide wat u want (aka have a battle plan lol by deciding on yr items and wat route to take to maximise time).

The catalog will be released on the comiket website?

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score
The catalog will be released on the comiket website?
its a for sale guide actually. but im sure you will be able to get your hands on a copy. might to be ask at liang court kinokunia or kknm.

Hikari__

Reaction score
its a for sale guide actually. but im sure you will be able to get your hands on a copy. might to be ask at liang court kinokunia or kknm.

i see.. sure! i will check kinokuniya out when the time draws near..

i am still wondering whether i can bring yaoi manga back to singapore. will the custom fine me? =(

i am still struggling whether to go comiket on the 1st day or 2nd day.. hows the crowd flow for these two days?

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score
you might want to check with the liang court counter regarding comiket catalog. might be a preorder only thing.

regarding yaoi i know someone who brought it back and apparently the guards saw it. but he is a guy so maybe your experience might be different.

depends on what you want to buy. what you want might be available only on 1 day so there is a chance that you have to go on both days.

oh ya dont be afraid to put more money into your pasmo/suica. you can use it at the convinience shops and at the airport.

gundamhamtaro

Reaction score
i am still struggling whether to go comiket on the 1st day or 2nd day.. hows the crowd flow for these two days?

regarding the catalog, i am doubtful if kino actually brings it in. i suggest u call them up and ask. if not i am sure there are always lots of sites out there which will u/l the catalogs. even in JP i dont think kino or other book stores will have it, most probably only anime stuff related stores will sell the catalog.

and dont go hoping for the crowd flow. i already showed u those 2 links to give u a feel of wat the actual thing will be like lol =:p cos no matter how i describe u still have to be there and experience the crowd to believe it.

oh i dont know if those youtube videos got show anot, but for those 3 days xtra temporary ticket counters will be set up at the nearest train stations.

CloudKami

Reaction score
In regards to yaoi, I have brought through customs, as well as purchased online via EMS for the past 5 years and haven't encounter a single issue with it. Technically it's illegal, but no one cares about books or games :s13:

I'm almost positive the Kinokuniya in SG won't stock the catalog but you could probably order it from Kinokuniya JP. There are many english sites which will sell it though, so no real issue there. The main thing is whether are you looking for doujins published by specific circles? If you only have a few, then you wouldn't have much problem navigating. If you have alot though...then definitely get it planned first.

Most of the BL doujin circles go for the 1st day only, so you shouldn't miss out on the first day.

If you missed anything you could head to Toranoana or Mandarake Ikebukuro after Comiket and they'll probably have it stocked(unless it's event exclusive item of course).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.