How much $$ does it usually cost to really renovate a 5 room HDB?

Caesar

Master Member
Reaction score
How much $$ does it usually cost to really renovate a 5 room HDB?

Anyone knows?

Thanks! :)

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "really renovate"? You mean there's fake renovation one meh?

It all depends on how much or how little you do to it. How good your negotiation skills are and how micromanaging you want to be. Too many factors and you stated no requirements to have even a ball park figure.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New flat or resale?

What work do you want? Do you want standard design or custom design? Quality of the material, fittings and appliances.

Flooring,
kitchen cabinet
bathroom
window grills
change doors?
cornices
curtains
air con?
lighting?
furniture?
feature wall?
appliances?
built in cupboards, furniture?
using any existing stuff from current flat?

You should provide the budget you have in mind and what you want done before there can be any meaningful replies.

Naga Siren

Reaction score
I take it you meant knocking out and down everything existing tiles, including toilets to renovate it according to your taste.

there is no definite figure as renovation depends on requirement of the owner.

you can op for the most expensive tiles, do plenty of carpentry and your bill will most likely be in the $70K range.

OR

you can op for the simplest of material and as little work as possible to maintain it at the $30K range.

you do have to note that in renovation - majority of the stuff; eg: toilet bowls, sinks, taps, lightings, switches, mirror, rain shower are all not provided. these items will add to your final reno cost, unless you have a huge budget; my suggestion is go for something practical and cheap.

next up will be the carpentry - most of the time, this is measured according to the length you do (eg: $90 per feet). I have seen some of my colleagues spending $20K just on carpentry alone so this is really something you need to gauge and decide for yourself. Usually; cost of carpentry comes from - wardrobe, kitchen cabinet, shoe rack, bed frame, tv cabinet, display cabinet etc.

you need to give us more details what exactly you want to do before we can advise more.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Very sound advice.

TS - like the members mentioned, the price will really vary from the condition of the house to what you wish it to be like. It's anyone's guess.

I just completed my own renovation for my 5rm resale apartment a couple months back - after a year of struggling and micromanaging the ID and contractors. I hope to never do it again. :s27:

Cost me roughly $50k without cost of fittings as Naga mentioned.

I take it you meant knocking out and down everything existing tiles, including toilets to renovate it according to your taste.

there is no definite figure as renovation depends on requirement of the owner.

you can op for the most expensive tiles, do plenty of carpentry and your bill will most likely be in the $70K range.

OR

you can op for the simplest of material and as little work as possible to maintain it at the $30K range.

you do have to note that in renovation - majority of the stuff; eg: toilet bowls, sinks, taps, lightings, switches, mirror, rain shower are all not provided. these items will add to your final reno cost, unless you have a huge budget; my suggestion is go for something practical and cheap.

next up will be the carpentry - most of the time, this is measured according to the length you do (eg: $90 per feet). I have seen some of my colleagues spending $20K just on carpentry alone so this is really something you need to gauge and decide for yourself. Usually; cost of carpentry comes from - wardrobe, kitchen cabinet, shoe rack, bed frame, tv cabinet, display cabinet etc.

you need to give us more details what exactly you want to do before we can advise more.

valeon

Master Member
Reaction score
Reno is a big topic and wide knowledge. Nobody can provide exactly how much is required. All depends on personal need and budget. Suggest TS to read and survey more on the topic before decide what to do next.

ambasnakeman

Reaction score
i came across a contractor who targets BTO projects.

painting whole house
system 3 air con
kitchen cabinet set, cooker, hob, basin, pipe
wardrobe floor to ceiling for 3 rms
labour for installation of lights

about 14k

Caesar

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks for your input.

I ask this as I'm about to purchase a 5 room resale flat that has been fully and very nicely reno-ed a few months ago and the COV is in the region of $70k - $80k.

Should be acceptable right? (in view that I don't need to go thru renovation woes, etc)

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I ask this as I'm about to purchase a 5 room resale flat that has been fully and very nicely reno-ed a few months ago and the COV is in the region of $70k - $80k.

Should be acceptable right? (in view that I don't need to go thru renovation woes, etc)

Which area is it in?

daphnemaia

Reaction score
Which area is it in?

must be punggol la. this kinda exorbitant COV is likely to be punggol, from my experience.. hahaha! :p

anyway, this thread is quite useful. :p but i think Caesar needs to go look at renotalk.com singapore forum instead..

SmallIsland

Reaction score

Maybe you are not a carrot head in terms of reno, but you sure is a carrot when buying a house.

70-80k cov? May I suggest you get a similar size flat at a nearby location with COV of around $20k, and then pay $50-60k for the renovation. You get the house customised to your liking, and your boast up the economy with your spending.

It's people like you which push up the housing price.

a130572

Reaction score
TS, I think u maybe paying too much for the COV cos I just bought a 5-rm resale flat too. It all depends on the design of the house but for a 70K and 80k COV is too high side which u have to consider it when it came to first appt. I paid $25k for my COV (already consider high for me) and after calculating the cash need to pay during first appt will be painful to me.

The reason that I take this COV is due to I'm a D-I-Y buyer and thus no need to pay agent fee. U will be surprise on the agent fee that u pay if u get this house unless u think is really worth it.

I suggest u if possible be a DIY Buyer like me but a lot of time effort needed. PM if u need more info.

Now my worry is the reno too cos I have to spend a sum of money too.

Hi all, any recommendation of any renovation contractor/comopany. I welcome any suggestion.

Me too also reading the reno.com for advice and is there anymore forum like this in singapore?

I also interested in DIY for renovation if possible but I understand a lot of time effort needed(just like I DIY my buying).

a130572

Reaction score
Very sound advice.

TS - like the members mentioned, the price will really vary from the condition of the house to what you wish it to be like. It's anyone's guess.

I just completed my own renovation for my 5rm resale apartment a couple months back - after a year of struggling and micromanaging the ID and contractors. I hope to never do it again. :s27:

Cost me roughly $50k without cost of fittings as Naga mentioned.

Hi Vijay,

Care to share your DIY with me? PMed u.

peter2883

Reaction score
To TS,

I've heard from my Agent, prices for Resale Flats are dropping... It might be better for you to wait a while... Maybe until at least March when the new Resale Prices are released by HDB...

Please do not quote me as I too am quoting another person (In this case my Agent)... The reason why I think it's fairly true is because my friend's sister is thinking of selling her place as well (She is also using the same Agent). The advise from our Agent is for her to let go quickly as prices will be coming down, current prices have dropped quite a bit as of now.

I'm also looking at buying a place & I will definitely be waiting until at least March to start searching... Hopefully I will be able to move in by the end of the year. So I'm not in a rush...:)

a130572

Reaction score
To TS,

I've heard from my Agent, prices for Resale Flats are dropping... It might be better for you to wait a while... Maybe until at least March when the new Resale Prices are released by HDB...

Please do not quote me as I too am quoting another person (In this case my Agent)... The reason why I think it's fairly true is because my friend's sister is thinking of selling her place as well (She is also using the same Agent). The advise from our Agent is for her to let go quickly as prices will be coming down, current prices have dropped quite a bit as of now.

I'm also looking at buying a place & I will definitely be waiting until at least March to start searching... Hopefully I will be able to move in by the end of the year. So I'm not in a rush...:)

Hi peter,

U r right. The resale price is dropping but the valuation is increasing. What is change is the COV asking can be lower rather than in the previous that can be sky high. I believe those asking for very high COV is meant for their expensive renovation that was paid to his/her house. But Valuation already factor it and thus COV must be reasonable.

High COV will mean more cash in the first appt. So have to do a lot of calculation.

GL.

junlove

Master Member
Reaction score
4 years back paint my whole flat 4-rm hdb myself over weekend. Only cost 200+ paint plus mats.
Back then 20k shld be able to reno hdb.

Now need 50k? wah....

aileen99

Master Member
Reaction score
3 room flat also need about 38k for basic reno. no hacking of floors just laminate only. now materials are expensive. GST sooner or later also going up.

valeon

Master Member
Reaction score
4 years back paint my whole flat 4-rm hdb myself over weekend. Only cost 200+ paint plus mats.

This is a good reno point to TS for reference. DIY or engage pro to do got diff de. If pro painter, easily can cost you 4 digits but you save the time and job. I spent $1.8k for my flat 3 years back.

Still your need and budget play a part.

JesusLovesUs

Reaction score
Intend to buy a resale HDB to renovate into Posh Luxurious House.
But on reading that it cost 50k just for renovation without carpentry which includes rewiring, washroom, lighting, switches just to suit my taste.

OMG. lol.

Maybe wait for hdb price to go up again and sell it for renovation costs for cheaper house somewhere.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.