IBM ThinkPad Users' Group

Lss

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i still think the build quality is better than most. but of course cost is higher. i have tried similar priced toughbooks but do not think they feel as good to use.

gohkhm

Reaction score
Hi firesage, I believe ideapads were never part of the original IBM ThinkPad stable and this line of notebooks never went through the same design and manufacturing processes since they were introduced by Lenovo. Furthermore, ideapads are targeted towards mass market segments, whereas the ThinkPad line is catered to business professionals. If you want reliability, go for a ThinkPad X,T or W series. :)

Firesage

Reaction score
Hmm ok, maybe I'll pay more attention to the thinkpad line. Yup I heard that the T series is quite popular, though im not intending to spend so much on a notebook.

How does the thinkpad edge square up, against say the asus u41? Specs-wise Im able to do the math, but how good is the edge in other aspects? I went to the Lenovo forums, and did not find much info about it there. I know that the edge differs from the mainstream thinkpad series because cheaper materials were used to cut costs etc. But overall is it still worthy of the thinkpad brandname in terms of build quality? Even if it may not be as 'zai' as the other thinkpads, is it at least better than other brands/series of laptops on average?

Cheers.

Chong Yu Fu

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi firesage, I believe ideapads were never part of the original IBM ThinkPad stable and this line of notebooks never went through the same design and manufacturing processes since they were introduced by Lenovo. Furthermore, ideapads are targeted towards mass market segments, whereas the ThinkPad line is catered to business professionals. If you want reliability, go for a ThinkPad X,T or W series. :)

Yeah i agree.ideapads are just targeted for the major market.

Leion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my T43 seems to be dying. Is it a good idea to get T410 to replace it?
I like the thinkpad keyboard alot and i see all other keyboard layout really not pleasing

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like the thinkpad keyboard alot and i see all other keyboard layout really not pleasing
Yes, it should be a decent replacement for your T43.

gohkhm

Reaction score

Get the T410s if budget allows. Its slimmer (slightly), lighter and performs better with the SSD. Wait a little while more if you are able to squeeze a few months of life from your T43, coz the new T420 and T420s will be out soon - likely in march

More details here on The T420...

http://www.thinkpadtoday.com/awesome-2011-thinkpad-t420t420st520-it-doesnt-get-much-better.htm

Last edited:

poring24

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my friend's W510 keep BSOD-ing...he told me that for his batch(at NP) all have the same problem...

im going to be 1st year student, hope the new batch dont have such issue :(

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get the T410s if budget allows. Its slimmer (slightly), lighter and performs better with the SSD. Wait a little while more if you are able to squeeze a few months of life from your T43, coz the new T420 and T420s will be out soon - likely in march

More details here on The T420...

http://www.thinkpadtoday.com/awesome-2011-thinkpad-t420t420st520-it-doesnt-get-much-better.htm
The T420 is interesting. Am particularly excited about the HD and HD+ screen. This makes the T420 more comparable to other brands in the market now.

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my friend's W510 keep BSOD-ing...he told me that for his batch(at NP) all have the same problem...

im going to be 1st year student, hope the new batch dont have such issue :(
I don't think this year the W510 will still be on sale. It will most likely be a newer model or one with a newer hardware.

ginseng1

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to add to my line of Thinkpads.

Still undecided between a T420 and W520.

One is 14 inch while the other is 15 inch.

I suppose T series more suited for mobile use.

My X201 super under utilised. Used only about 50 times since I bought it from RP in March 2010.

ginseng1

Master Member
Reaction score
Is the T series power adaptor same as X series 65w?

My X61 and X201 shares the same adaptor.

gohkhm

Reaction score
T420 / T420s pics

lenovo_thinkpad_t420.jpg

- ThinkPad T420

lenovo_thinkpad_t420s.jpg

- ThinkPad T420s

Both look virtually identical on the exterior, but I gather the difference will be in the guts. The T420s will likely have more SSD and hybrid drive options, whereas the T420 will offer more standard drives. Argh....would have prefered the 16:10 aspect ratio as opposed to the 16:9 though...look at that thick lower bezel!

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to add to my line of Thinkpads.

Still undecided between a T420 and W520.

One is 14 inch while the other is 15 inch.

I suppose T series more suited for mobile use.

My X201 super under utilised. Used only about 50 times since I bought it from RP in March 2010.
T420 I think better choice. Whoa. Underutilized liao you still buy ah.

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lenovo_thinkpad_t420.jpg

- ThinkPad T420

lenovo_thinkpad_t420s.jpg

- ThinkPad T420s

Both look virtually identical on the exterior, but I gather the difference will be in the guts. The T420s will likely have more SSD and hybrid drive options, whereas the T420 will offer more standard drives. Argh....would have prefered the 16:10 aspect ratio as opposed to the 16:9 though...look at that thick lower bezel!
Yes, the screen bezel looks thick and as if it is catered to hold a 15.6" screen. Looks quite ugly from the picture.

I did prefer the 16:10 screen too. But I guess, they are just following the trend.

Last edited:

nakorius

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was offered a Thinkpad 410 when I went to Funan and I have never been a Thinkpad user.

Like to know and understand why a Thinkpad is better?

gohkhm

Reaction score
I was offered a Thinkpad 410 when I went to Funan and I have never been a Thinkpad user.

Like to know and understand why a Thinkpad is better?

Like......maybe its because its the only notebook certified to be on the International Space Station? (according to wikipedia)...haha

They are reliable and durable (have used 2 ThinkPads, one T41 since 2003 and its still working, am using a T61p now) Though my T61p suffered a hinge break two years ago, there wasnt any more hardware issues. Excellent/comfortable keyboard (though again, depends on personal preference). No BSODs, works exactly how I want it to work all the time. A bit pricey, but great return of investment over time.

Some links here for further reading:

http://shopap.lenovo.com/sg/products/professional-grade/thinkpad/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad

Reaction score
yes, I am quite amazed that my machine never suffer any BSOD, even it is preloaded with the crappy windows vista. I have seen some other laptops which suffer BSODs with vista, although it is less in latest windows 7.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.