Wireless IP Camera thread

Flamerboy

Reaction score
i am interested in the ip cam from ali website. it is cheap.
Currently i am using all dlink based ip cam. and my monitoring software and viewing software is the Dlink View Cam software. If I would buy the foscom or other brands of cam will it work with the dlink view cam? or is there any cheaper brands that can work with Dlink view cam software?

Thanks

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
i am interested in the ip cam from ali website. it is cheap.
Currently i am using all dlink based ip cam. and my monitoring software and viewing software is the Dlink View Cam software. If I would buy the foscom or other brands of cam will it work with the dlink view cam? or is there any cheaper brands that can work with Dlink view cam software?

Thanks

I have Dlink cameras, but I never use the software (nor any other software from the other cameras).

What I can try is run the Dlink View Cam software (if I can find the CD) and then try it out with the other cameras. However, I can only do so during the weekends.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok, got my Foscam camera. So far so good and I'm glad I chose foscam. Had some problems linking my router to it but a google search and quick scan of the forums gave me the answers I needed:)

The Ali2 site was ok, delivery maybe 2 weeks + (hard to keep time when you have a baby...), came by courier. One of the IR light's bulb (or whatever u call it) came off, not sure if I'll need it since I haven't tried out the low light fuction yet. Firmware of the camera was the latest, so no need to update.

Camera wise, its good enough for my use, which is to monitor my baby when I'm surfing the net in another room and for me to see her when I'm at work. Haven't tried the audio in yet, that's the next project, need to find a cheap mike or something to pick up sound.

Oh and now tempted to buy one with zoom feature....

Depending on the sensitivity of the sensor, one less IR LED may not have much impact on the image.

When you said audio in, are you trying to get the camera end to play sound? Or are you interested in hearing the baby. I think the Foscam has a built-in mike already, so you can pick up sounds over on the PC end.

Cameras with pan-and-tilt function tends to be a bit more expensive then those fixed cameras, and cameras with optical zoom is even more expensive. Looking at Mediapro's pricelist for example, the Dlink DCS-5635 (10x optical zoom) cost over S$1K (pricelist is wrong as it lists the DCS-5635 as having 10x digital zoom), while the Panasonic HCM581CE (21x optical zoom) costs close to S$1.5K. I am not sure if there are cameras that offer say 3x to 5x optical zoom. So far, I can't find any in Singapore. Alibaba website does list some Foscam 3x camera, but the minimum order quantity is 20 pieces.

Last edited:

ziggyy

Reaction score
Depending on the sensitivity of the sensor, one less IR LED may not have much impact on the image.

When you said audio in, are you trying to get the camera end to play sound? Or are you interested in hearing the baby. I think the Foscam has a built-in mike already, so you can pick up sounds over on the PC end.

Cameras with pan-and-tilt function tends to be a bit more expensive then those fixed cameras, and cameras with optical zoom is even more expensive. Looking at Mediapro's pricelist for example, the Dlink DCS-5635 (10x optical zoom) cost over S$1K (pricelist is wrong as it lists the DCS-5635 as having 10x digital zoom), while the Panasonic HCM581CE (21x optical zoom) costs close to S$1.5K. I am not sure if there are cameras that offer say 3x to 5x optical zoom. So far, I can't find any in Singapore. Alibaba website does list some Foscam 3x camera, but the minimum order quantity is 20 pieces.

Thanks Dr.

Read on the forums about the built in mike but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Probably this weekend.

Didn't realise those with zoom is so expensive. Will stick to using this one first then but it's a good and relatively cheap intro to the world of IP cams.

Now, to figure out how to view it from my office pc... something about port-forwarding and all.... more reading up to do...

cptow1

Reaction score
I'm going to order a Wansview NC530W H series, anyone wants to order Foscam we can also buy together.

cptow1

Reaction score
The F-series seems quite a good value for money camera. It has quite decent colours, can pan-and-tilt and have built-in IR LEDs. If you are looking for a budget wireless IP camera, the F-series is a good choice. The H-series is slightly more expensive, and this is because it offers H.264 encoding. I haven't yet figure out how to set the H-series to various default positions, but the F-series has that capability.

The Samsung Wave is an android phone, right? I am using the Android app IP Camera, and it supports all the cameras I have, including the F-series and H-series. The trick is to look for other brands that shares the same OEM. For example the F-series is the same as Foscam, and the H-series is the same as SmartEye.

Happy baby watching!

Dr_Acher,

I tested the live demo of the H series NC530w, noticed that the audio cannot be heard when using ipad and iphone have you try before?

At recent baby fair also saw this model ICS502w the audio can be heard loud using iphone and clear image not bad too but quite ex. $299. Wonder any brothers have it here.

http://www.cam2life.com/products-IC502w.html

Last edited:

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Dr_Acher,

I tested the live demo of the H series NC530w, noticed that the audio cannot be heard when using ipad and iphone have you try before?

At recent baby fair also saw this model ICS502w the audio can be heard loud using iphone and clear image not bad too but quite ex. $299. Wonder any brothers have it here.

http://www.cam2life.com/products-IC502w.html

So far, on my Sony X10 and now Incredible S, I couldn't get any audio for all my cameras. I suspect it has to do more with the app then with the camera hardware.

I am not familiar with the IC502w. Looking at the link you provided, the camera does not have IR mode. That would mean you can't see anything in a totally dark room. For me, as a baby monitor, it is useful to be able to see in a totally dark room.

cptow1

Reaction score
So far, on my Sony X10 and now Incredible S, I couldn't get any audio for all my cameras. I suspect it has to do more with the app then with the camera hardware.

I am not familiar with the IC502w. Looking at the link you provided, the camera does not have IR mode. That would mean you can't see anything in a totally dark room. For me, as a baby monitor, it is useful to be able to see in a totally dark room.

Yup, most of the cameras i tested on iphone/ipad do not support the 2 way audio. Except for this cam2life camera. But the camera is way out my budget.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup, most of the cameras i tested on iphone/ipad do not support the 2 way audio. Except for this cam2life camera. But the camera is way out my budget.

2-way audio may not be supported, but 1-way audio is generally available for most IP cameras. The thing is, I suspect it is the app that is not working well rather than the camera not having the feature. On my android app (IP Cam Viewer), there is a button for speaker (to hear audio) and a button for mike (to broadcast using the IP camera), but it has no effect to date.

cptow1

Reaction score
2-way audio may not be supported, but 1-way audio is generally available for most IP cameras. The thing is, I suspect it is the app that is not working well rather than the camera not having the feature. On my android app (IP Cam Viewer), there is a button for speaker (to hear audio) and a button for mike (to broadcast using the IP camera), but it has no effect to date.

Bro, if you cant....none of us can.......cause you own the most ip camera here! :s13:

cptow1

Reaction score
Okay. Managed to get the sound on my F series. Couldn't get sound from my WVC200 or my DIR-6620G.

:s12: Hurray!:s12:When my camera comes i will consult you. Now can listen to see if baby crying and maid chatting on phone bo. :s8:

alpha1ma

Reaction score
hey Dr_ARCHer, great to see this thread.

setting up the cams really took a long time for me and i wished i seen your thread first.

i need help regarding the software u used to view them.

for iphone, is there any software that allow multiple viewing of ip cameras? i searched and found one app, unetcams which probably works but costs a fair bit. 19.99usd. is there any other alternatives?

for pc, i heard blueiris is good, what are you using?

sorry if you had already posted the answers above >.<

cptow1

Reaction score
Bro, live cams for iphone is very popular.
You can try it out, can view up to nine cameras.
I tried it on my iphone.....its has got friendly controls.
Very simple setup.

alpha1ma

Reaction score
hey thanks for the intro.

i dled the live cam and everything works

i must say the reviews given are inaccurate.

i am using dlink 2121. right now i will be very happy if i can find one that can view my other cams connected to avtech recorder as well. still searching.

currently using eagle eyes which can only be used for my avtech setup.

live cams cant load the avtech coz its h264.

hmm actualli i haven even found a pc version viewer that can view the 2 setups haha

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
hey Dr_ARCHer, great to see this thread.

setting up the cams really took a long time for me and i wished i seen your thread first.

i need help regarding the software u used to view them.

for iphone, is there any software that allow multiple viewing of ip cameras? i searched and found one app, unetcams which probably works but costs a fair bit. 19.99usd. is there any other alternatives?

for pc, i heard blueiris is good, what are you using?

sorry if you had already posted the answers above >.<

I'm not using any software other than the browser. On my mobile, I am using IP Cam Viewer on the Android platform. I think there is a version for iPhone too. IP Cam Viewer can support many brands/models of IP cameras.

watchthewaves

Reaction score
Thanks to Dr_ARCHer's reviews, I got the SMC some months ago. While I've been happy with it so far, it lacks a feature that I want - record audio with the video to NAS. It only records the video.

Does anyone know of any cam that will record both video and audio to NAS?

Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.