Some considerations for selecting the right WiFi device for your wireless network

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
EDDY777 said:
I see..thanks wirelessdan2002,

I am indeed living in a 3-storey terrace :).

Maybe I should get the Fulbond access point cos it's cheap, but what about the pcmcia card? I don't see any 20 dbm cards except the Cisco one which is really expensive? Should I get a card with lower power rating?

I am actually quite apprehensive about getting the Senao solution (or even the Fulbond) as I have never heard of their brand before.... don't know how is their support or user-friendliness...

Regards......Eddy.

just found out that Fulbond has brought in the 20 dbm PCMCIA card XI-325H http://www.fulbond.com.sg/PRODUCTS/WIRELESS/XI325H.htm

G2-Tech at 6th floor Sim Lim Sq is selling it for $110, less than 1/2 price of Cisco Aironet 352. think the luck is with you :)

i have just tried the XI-1250A AP, kind of work out of the box too. Fulbond's range of Wifi products are actually from the more reputable Z-Com from Taiwan, the same unit is sold in Europe as Z-Com XI-1250A, and in USA as ZComax. surprisingly SMC carries the same AP as SMC2655W, being sold here for $220 http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=76&site=c

oh yeah i last posted that the XI-1250A was sold for $169 from IT Hub, i actually got it from NM (Network Mobility), #06-74 Sim Lim Sq, for $160, and is 18 months 1 to 1 exchange.

EDDY777

Reaction score
Oh....you bought the Fulbond XI-1250A? How is it? Any reviews or comments from u?

Thanks...

ComicBook

Reaction score
Hi wirelessdan2002

thanks for your very informative research. Ü
I am living in a 5 room HDB flat,
intending to connect 2 desktops with SCV.

for my case. 1 desktop in each room, SCV modem in the living room. Thus, expecting to have max 2 walls in between each desktop.

Am I rite to say that I should get:

Fulbond XI-2300H AP router X 1

Dlink DWL-120 USB Client X 2

in order to get the strongest signal?

I am interested to get the highest speed, not the longest range.

Answer mi if you have time.
Thanks~ Ü

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
EDDY777 said:
Oh....you bought the Fulbond XI-1250A? How is it? Any reviews or comments from u?

Thanks...

after almost a whole weekend of usage, i should say the Fulbong XI-1250A is quite a good value for money.

the setup was easy, living up to its name "smart AP", just plug it into 1 of the LAN ports on the router, and it work straight away.

performance wise, despite its small size (slightly larger than the Linksys WUSB11 USB adapter), believe it does deliver the promised 20 dbm (100 mw) power, using Enzer Skyroam Silver PC card on my notebook, the signal strength consistently beat the Linksys BEFW11S4 which is rated at 18 dbm.

recommending this as the wireless addon to existing wired router network, at $160.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
ComicBook said:
Hi wirelessdan2002

thanks for your very informative research. Ü
I am living in a 5 room HDB flat,
intending to connect 2 desktops with SCV.

for my case. 1 desktop in each room, SCV modem in the living room. Thus, expecting to have max 2 walls in between each desktop.

Am I rite to say that I should get:

Fulbond XI-2300H AP router X 1

Dlink DWL-120 USB Client X 2

in order to get the strongest signal?

I am interested to get the highest speed, not the longest range.

Answer mi if you have time.
Thanks~ Ü
i would agree with the DWL-120, though it is among the most expensive USB wireless adapters around, most shops are selling it for $145, but thought i saw it in some shops asking for $135, however please make sure that you get the latest version, the one sold in Unlimited is an older version. please check up Dlink website to see the image of the newer version. http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwl120/

with 19 dbm of power and -90 dbm of sensitivity from DWL-120, i believe you do not need a 20 dbm AP/router, in this case you will have more choices. i have not tried the Fulbond XI-2300H and also not sure about its price. still recommend Linksys BEFW11S4, at $227 its 18 dbm power should be more then sufficient for a 5-room HDB apartment, assuming :

maximum range 15 meters
2 brick walls in between contributing to -10 db loss

free space path loss (15 meters) = 32.44 + 20 log(2.4) + 20 log (15) = 65 db

total link budget considerations:

18 dbm (BEFW11S4) - 65 db (path loss) - 10 db (2 walls) - 12 db (fade margin) = -69 dbm

-69 dbm power would arrive at the USB client, which is still 21 db stronger than DWL-120's -90 dbm sensitivity, which should be able to work at 11 Mbps rate, even with 128 bit WEP applied.

BEFW11S4 is one of the most popular AP/routers, it is very user friendly and easy to setup, and the price tag of $227 is attractive too.

Last edited:

ComicBook

Reaction score
wirelessdan2002 said:

i have not tried the Fulbond XI-2300H and also not sure about its price. still recommend Linksys BEFW11S4, at $227 its 18 dbm power should be more then sufficient for a 5-room HDB apartment, assuming :

How about getting Senao SR2511SR+ at $250?
That will be the most powerful combination I think...

Is it advisable to mix Router AP and USB clients of different brands?

If there might be issues of incompatiblity, I would rather take the whole set from Linksys...

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
ComicBook said:

How about getting Senao SR2511SR+ at $250?
That will be the most powerful combination I think...

Is it advisable to mix Router AP and USB clients of different brands?

If there might be issues of incompatiblity, I would rather take the whole set from Linksys...

in term of specifications, the Senao combination should be great, but i have no idea how's the setup and user interface like. also they are sure to be overkill for your apartment, and if you are not using WEP, all your neighbour will be logging on to your hot spots :)

no problem with mixing brands as long as they are IEEE 802.11B WiFi certified, but please take note that the so called 11B+ (22 Mbps) system is not an IEEE 802.11B extension, different manufacturers come out with their own standard eg. Orinoco Gold, Enzer Skyroam Gold, Dlink AirPlus, chances that they are not compatible, so safest to stay with 11B's 11 Mbps.

Senao's SL2511 plus is not the 22 Mbps system, the plus is refering to higher power, as in Fulbond's H extension.

hj

Reaction score
Murcielago said:
tried and tested enzer's wireless router and pcmcia cards ... they sucked big time ... range was poor and i could neverf get it to work properly with my scv. when it did, browsing the web alone was heaps slower than dialup.

i've got them replaced with the linksys models ... the linksys wireless router and pcmcia cards were surprising. They flawlessly worked out of the box and with a firmware upgrade, the range improved somewhat ... i'm getting excellent (100%) signal strength and link quality even when the router is next door. directly one level down in the dining area, i'm still getting good reception (45~50%) and downloads are at full speed (180~200+ KB/s)

go for the wireless linksys routers and pcmcia cards (v.3) as they have been tried and tested. ;)

i don't recommend linksys. they pump only 32mW with the sample i tried. Better option is Aironet 350/1200 which pumps at 50mW.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
hj said:

i don't recommend linksys. they pump only 32mW with the sample i tried. Better option is Aironet 350/1200 which pumps at 50mW.

Aironet 342 series card is giving 50 mw, its cost has been brought down to $120, from almost $200.

Aironet 352 gives 20 dbm 100 mw, but the $250 price tag can get 3 Enzer Skyroam Silver ($79 each).

the Enzer's 16.5 dbm (45 mw) performs better than Linksys WPC11's 15 dbm (33 mw), is by far the best buy on the market.

if the environment is real challenging which requires higher power, try Fulbond XI-325H, which produces 20 dbm 100 mw too likes the Cisco Aironet 352, but costs only $110.

and if you need to surf from mother-iin-law's flat using your broadband from your own flat in the next block, try the Senao's SL2511CD plus, 23 dbm (200 mw) for $140.

dereth

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Erm... Dan...

Do you have any recommendations for USB ROUTERS? Preferably Wireless. :)

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
dereth said:
Erm... Dan...

Do you have any recommendations for USB ROUTERS? Preferably Wireless. :)

hi dereth,

only heard of the Draytek model but it is not wireless, just a 4 port wired router. and for the price of $270, you will be better off buying an ethernet modem at $160 + a wired router for $100.

have not heard of any USB wireless router, guess even if there is, it is unlikely to be cost effective.

Vladimir

Reaction score
Hi wirelessdan2002

Newbie questions here. I intend to try wireless. Need to your kind recommendations please.

Living in 4-rooms HDB flat
Magix PremiumSurf (ATM) using Alcatel Speed Touch Pro
1 laptop at master-bed room, WINXP Home
1 desktop pc at another room, WINXP Pro (2 walls blocking - 19ft apart)

I intend to get rid of Alcatel STP. What is your recommendation?

Thanks!

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
Vladimir said:
Hi wirelessdan2002

Newbie questions here. I intend to try wireless. Need to your kind recommendations please.

Thanks!

hi,

not too sure what do you mean by getting rid of the Alcatel STP? as i thought it is an ethernet modem which is suitable to work with a router/access point? or do you mean you want to switch over to the ADSL service?

anyway your setup should be quite a simple 1 without much hassle.

if the modem and point can be at the same room with the desktop, you can install a wireless router costing from $180 onwards (must be able to support PPPoA used by Magix). the desktop will connect to the router by cable, and the laptop by wireless, which need a PCMCIA wireless card form $79 onwards. 19 feet and 2 walls should not be a problem for your laptop to have a good link.

if the modem and point have to be somewhere else, then you will need to get an USB wireless adapter for the desktop, from $100 onwards.

hope this helps, regards.

Last edited:

dereth

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Dan.
I was asking on behalf of a friend. :)

Oh yah btw... if Vlad's using still using PremiumSurf and wants to get rid of the STP I think the right protocol to support is CIPoA since it's ATM.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
dereth said:

Oh yah btw... if Vlad's using still using PremiumSurf and wants to get rid of the STP I think the right protocol to support is CIPoA since it's ATM.

you are wlecome dereth.

oh thought for Magix is PPPoA, thanks for your information too.

so you have resolved your DWL-900AP+'s problem?

asd78

Banned
Reaction score
dereth said:

woah man..how u guys know so much abt this stuff? working in this line? anyway, i have a problem and hope u guys could help me out...

recently, my fren decided to wired up her 3 storey terrace house so her dad and brother could share their broadband....how would u guys suggest she do it? could u recommend the specific hardwares she would have to get?

thks for the help in advance...:)

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Vladimir said:
Hi wirelessdan2002

Thanks!

Hmm ... sorry to barge in .... but getting rid of your speedtouch pro ?!?!..

If you have read through Azacamis's forums, you'll find that you're able to set the STP in DMZ mode, thus getting the Linksys Wireless router with 4 Port switch (forgot the model =p ) would work for you.

This setup is being used by a friend on ATM Magix currently.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
asd78 said:

woah man..how u guys know so much abt this stuff? working in this line? anyway, i have a problem and hope u guys could help me out...

recently, my fren decided to wired up her 3 storey terrace house so her dad and brother could share their broadband....how would u guys suggest she do it? could u recommend the specific hardwares she would have to get?

thks for the help in advance...:)

you can start by doing a mapping of the intended home networking, i.e. where is the modem point (be it cable or ADSL) at which the wireless router will be placed, where are all the desktops/notebooks PCs. draw a straight line between the PC and the modem point and chart out what is the distance and how many/what type of obstacles walls, floors, reinforced structure, furniture etc.) lie between.

you will need to take the worst case so as to determine how much power you need for the link to be robust, you can compute it yourself based on what i have gathered on top, or just post it here and we can work it out together.

what are needed include a wireless router, wireless client adapter for each PC, and replace the modem if it is not the right type.

wirelessdan2002

Reaction score
dethangel said:

Hmm ... sorry to barge in .... but getting rid of your speedtouch pro ?!?!..

If you have read through Azacamis's forums, you'll find that you're able to set the STP in DMZ mode, thus getting the Linksys Wireless router with 4 Port switch (forgot the model =p ) would work for you.

This setup is being used by a friend on ATM Magix currently.

agree that STP has lots of potential, and probably Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router would work perfectly with it.

angscang

Reaction score
hi wirelessdan2002,
Thanks 4 the extremely gd inside!
r u in this line of Wireless installation 4 corporate etc.?
any companies hiring such people?
btw, did u get urself certified (CWNA)?
in ur earlier post, u mentioned abt Fullbond giving a high power rating n sensitivity. i m curious if it does provide secure authentication using 802.1x/EAP/Radius like Cisco (34x/35x series) or even Orinoco?
btw, did u own all the products that u tried out, or do they belong 2 ur company? just curious ;)
Thanks!

;)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.