Learn Korean?

Godbleseu

Reaction score
currently i'm doing korean @ nex

wat sort of info are you looking for??

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I am very interested to join the next intake on korean basic 1, I have a few questions in mind to check with existing students.

1. How big is the class size?
2. How is the pace ? too fast/ slow?
3. In order to be able to communicate fluently, how many levels should i be going for inorder to meet that very basic conversation?

I am totally new and have no exp in korean languages. Can you please share with me your experience as in pro and cons on NUX.

Thank you very much.

silencer22

Reaction score
1. for korean basic level 1, its abt 20++... e class may starts to shrink as u progress to following levels

2. pace wise is different across different teacher, but roughly one chapter per 2.5hr based on the textbook

3. not sure how u define basic fluent conversation, probably e whole of basic level, i.e 1 - 6?

for level 1 - 3, you are taught
-basic grammer
e.g. this is an apple, i am walking, etc
-past tense, future tense
-numbers
-how to inquire opinion, polite request, provide suggestion

i hav also started my korean classes without any knowledge of the language. but first few levels are alright, especially if u watch korean dramas or do the homework.
its a little difficult for e teacher to focus or aid e weaker students as they hav a curriculum schedule to follow. most students hav no problem wif e pace thou.

my teacher also uses english quite frequently, it does help in understanding, but doesnt improve on my listening. there are classes taught in korean thou, so tt largely depends on ur teacher.

nex is still a business entity, so if ur class gets too small, they juz axe e nex level. n u will hav to wait until they hav sufficient students to begin a new class. otherwise, you would just hav to wait 1-2 weeks to begin the next level.

hope tis helps

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm doing intermediate level nowadays.
the grammar's killing me.
i think last time basic level 1-6, mine was using sogang textbook. about 1-2 new grammar per week.

intermediate, expect about 4 grammar.
needs to really put in extra time to revise and practice.

joofei

Reaction score
Interested to learn Korean. Any recommendation besides Singapore Korean School and NUS Extension?

liyinglim

Reaction score
I have experience dealing with the first centre - DH Korean Language centre and I would like to share my experiences so that the fellow forum-ers can make informed choices when choosing a suitable Korean school. I am an undergraduate and I've been supporting myself through university. However, I signed up for Korean classes with this language centre, parting with my hard earned money because I believed that they were of high standards.

I couldn't be more wrong.

Firstly, 3 working days before classes were due to commence, I received an irresponsible SMS telling me that classes were unconditionally postponed to a month later due to insufficient enrollment. But they initially told me that classes were filling up quickly and advised me to register asap. To show my sincerity, I even paid upfront in cash in full. How could this centre so frivolously postpone classes with SO LITTLE notice? When I informed the representative who had SMS-ed me that I would not be able to accept any postponement arrangements and requested for a refund, she haughtily referred me to a clause in tje contract - The centre reserves the right to postpone classes WITH prior notice, if there are not enough students. How is 3 days prior notice? It's plain ridiculous.

Lesson One: This centre takes their students for granted and may SUKA SUKA postpone your lesson. They don't give two hoots about whether you can accommodate their postponement.

Secondly, the lady I spoke to on the phone did not once offer a genuine apology for the inconvenience caused to me from the postponement. (I had shifted all my driving lessons and tests and trainings etc to meet the class arrangements, which I mentioned to her) and the highlight was when she didn't hang up the phone and I overhead her conversation with her superior. She said that she feared that I was going to beat her up cause I was a gangster and I didn't understand what 'prior notice' means. Let me clarify that not once did I raise my voice nor used any demeaning words. I know what its like to be in the service line, I've worked in sales and telemarketing before and I don't believe that the customer is unconditionally right all the time. Customers who demand for special concessions or over the top demands deserve to be condemned. However, in this case I was just asking for what was due to me, a refund for a service not rendered. The principal whom I spoke to eventually even hung up on me halfway through the conversation when he did not have a reply to my question. Such service standards are completely unprofessional and unacceptable.

Lesson Two: The people who run the centre thinks that they are the ones ruling the world. They have absolutely no respect for the customers who are paying them.

Thirdly, when they finally agreed to refund me, they made it clear that they were only going to pay $350.74, deducting a $10 registration fee, $29.50 textbook and postage charges for the cheque. What registration fee? I did not even attend a single lesson, and I made registration PERSONALLY at their centre. I even offered to send the mint textbook back to them and they didn't even thank me for doing so and wanted to charge me for postage.

Lesson Three: Every penny counts to them. They will squeeze you dry so that they can make that extra cent off you. Penny snatchers or what, I leave that to you.

Lastly, when I finally got to speak to the boss, (They already ruined my evening which was supposed to be a happy birthday celebration for my 7 year old nephew), he started beating around the bush when I asked him point blank if he was willing to give me a full refund. He even ridiculously claimed that he opened this class specially for ME. That was the end of the straw for me. It was downright ridiculous. HELLLO? you are a profit-making business, why would you open classes for just one student? It was crazy that he even mentioned this. And he feigned concern for my korean language development, saying he would like me to continue 'developing' at his centre. I politely told him that I would continue to pursue Korean because it was something I really wanted to do, just not at his centre anymore. I then said that if he refused to refund me the full amount, I would have no choice but to go to CASE. He then turned defensive and started shouting over the phone at how his reputation would not suffer and challenged me to bring the issue to CASE. Seeing that this conversation was going nowhere, I ended the call.

Lesson Four, words can be twisted to spin incredible stories. Some castles can be built in air. This principal tries to use emotions to get you to part with your hard earned money.

I am sharing my experiences not to condemn this learning centre, nor pass any judgements on their teaching standards as I didn't even attend a single lesson. What I want to do is to provide an experience of mine and share it with other likeminded customers like me who are being abused by unreasonable policies. I hope that after hearing my story, my fellow forum-ers will make a more informed choice, and think through wisely whether you are prepared to accept it if the same thing happens to you.

infinityabsurdities

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your bad experience. thanks so much for sharing, this thread has been dead since 5 months ago lol.

hmm your case shld hand it over to the Small Claims Tribunal...

hmm seems like beyond the facade of a well-maintained website lies a foul service attitude?

what other language schs are good? cambridge language sch? mister korean isit ok?

rebirth1310

Reaction score
hi infinityabsurdities,

I have just registered for korean basic at cambridge language school. u interested to learn too?

rebirth1310

Reaction score
Hi infinityabsurdities,

I signed up for 2nd jul (saturday) class at cambridge peninsula plaza, but i am going Malaysia this saturday, so going for make-up class next week. u interested to sign up?

punkrockstar

Reaction score
anybody wants to take up beginner lessons at cambridge too? :)
does the simei branch have it? do email me

Last edited:

sakata

Reaction score
I had the same issues!!! currently im taking classes with them because i agree to take with my fren. my fren had no issue as her schedule and work are quite standard. If u have a busy schedule i wont recommend u to take and yes they have no respect for their customers!
also im unlucky, i got a teacher who is bad at explanation; in addition her korean words are untidy and difficult to read. i did make up with other classes and there are better teachers there but im just unlucky to get a bad teacher. most of the students in the class had prior learning for the lang so they don find it a big issue too. however i wont recommend Daehan to anyone. im sure there are more ppl who experience such things other than the 2 of us.
---

I have experience dealing with the first centre - DH Korean Language centre and I would like to share my experiences so that the fellow forum-ers can make informed choices when choosing a suitable Korean school. I am an undergraduate and I've been supporting myself through university. However, I signed up for Korean classes with this language centre, parting with my hard earned money because I believed that they were of high standards.

I couldn't be more wrong.

Firstly, 3 working days before classes were due to commence, I received an irresponsible SMS telling me that classes were unconditionally postponed to a month later due to insufficient enrollment. But they initially told me that classes were filling up quickly and advised me to register asap. To show my sincerity, I even paid upfront in cash in full. How could this centre so frivolously postpone classes with SO LITTLE notice? When I informed the representative who had SMS-ed me that I would not be able to accept any postponement arrangements and requested for a refund, she haughtily referred me to a clause in tje contract - The centre reserves the right to postpone classes WITH prior notice, if there are not enough students. How is 3 days prior notice? It's plain ridiculous.

Lesson One: This centre takes their students for granted and may SUKA SUKA postpone your lesson. They don't give two hoots about whether you can accommodate their postponement.

Secondly, the lady I spoke to on the phone did not once offer a genuine apology for the inconvenience caused to me from the postponement. (I had shifted all my driving lessons and tests and trainings etc to meet the class arrangements, which I mentioned to her) and the highlight was when she didn't hang up the phone and I overhead her conversation with her superior. She said that she feared that I was going to beat her up cause I was a gangster and I didn't understand what 'prior notice' means. Let me clarify that not once did I raise my voice nor used any demeaning words. I know what its like to be in the service line, I've worked in sales and telemarketing before and I don't believe that the customer is unconditionally right all the time. Customers who demand for special concessions or over the top demands deserve to be condemned. However, in this case I was just asking for what was due to me, a refund for a service not rendered. The principal whom I spoke to eventually even hung up on me halfway through the conversation when he did not have a reply to my question. Such service standards are completely unprofessional and unacceptable.

Lesson Two: The people who run the centre thinks that they are the ones ruling the world. They have absolutely no respect for the customers who are paying them.

Thirdly, when they finally agreed to refund me, they made it clear that they were only going to pay $350.74, deducting a $10 registration fee, $29.50 textbook and postage charges for the cheque. What registration fee? I did not even attend a single lesson, and I made registration PERSONALLY at their centre. I even offered to send the mint textbook back to them and they didn't even thank me for doing so and wanted to charge me for postage.

Lesson Three: Every penny counts to them. They will squeeze you dry so that they can make that extra cent off you. Penny snatchers or what, I leave that to you.

Lastly, when I finally got to speak to the boss, (They already ruined my evening which was supposed to be a happy birthday celebration for my 7 year old nephew), he started beating around the bush when I asked him point blank if he was willing to give me a full refund. He even ridiculously claimed that he opened this class specially for ME. That was the end of the straw for me. It was downright ridiculous. HELLLO? you are a profit-making business, why would you open classes for just one student? It was crazy that he even mentioned this. And he feigned concern for my korean language development, saying he would like me to continue 'developing' at his centre. I politely told him that I would continue to pursue Korean because it was something I really wanted to do, just not at his centre anymore. I then said that if he refused to refund me the full amount, I would have no choice but to go to CASE. He then turned defensive and started shouting over the phone at how his reputation would not suffer and challenged me to bring the issue to CASE. Seeing that this conversation was going nowhere, I ended the call.

Lesson Four, words can be twisted to spin incredible stories. Some castles can be built in air. This principal tries to use emotions to get you to part with your hard earned money.

I am sharing my experiences not to condemn this learning centre, nor pass any judgements on their teaching standards as I didn't even attend a single lesson. What I want to do is to provide an experience of mine and share it with other likeminded customers like me who are being abused by unreasonable policies. I hope that after hearing my story, my fellow forum-ers will make a more informed choice, and think through wisely whether you are prepared to accept it if the same thing happens to you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.