NTUC member worth it??

sgd10m

Reaction score
I have this long time question.
Is it worth to have NTUC member and plus! card?

ndleng

Reaction score
I believe it worth. I take up studies in MDIS for my honor and got a $500 rebate and now i believe it is $1000.

Credit Card is FOC as far as you are a member and you got other benefit too.

If you are in a unionized company, workplace protection come into play.

ccssgm

Reaction score
I believe it worth. I take up studies in MDIS for my honor and got a $500 rebate and now i believe it is $1000.

Credit Card is FOC as far as you are a member and you got other benefit too.

If you are in a unionized company, workplace protection come into play.

Member $9 / mth
Non member also can apply Plus card

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
12 * $9 = $108

you get:

1) 4% rebate on any purchase (credited yearly to you)
2) plus credit card -> 10% rebate on housebrand items (supposedly got 500+ items)
3) $1 = 2 link points @ ntuc (about 1.33% )
4) cheaper redemption of items @ the linkpoint online store

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Member $9 / mth
Non member also can apply Plus card

Plus card is not same as NTUC Plus card.

The most benefit I got from NTUC Plus card is the linkpoint that I get from buying and selling shares. Every $ = 5 linkpoints. When I use linkpoints to pay for brokerage, Lim Tan will give back 50% linkpoints used. The linkpoints earned in one year is enough to pay for several years' union fee :s12:

Since Feb 2009 I have collected 240,000 linkpoints from Lim Tan, credit card spending and purchases from NTUC fairprice. Besides every year I get 4% rebates on purchases from NTUC fairprice about $100+ dividend on fairprice shares.

Members also give some insurance coverage.

digitalguy

Reaction score
Plus card is not same as NTUC Plus card.

The most benefit I got from NTUC Plus card is the linkpoint that I get from buying and selling shares. Every $ = 5 linkpoints. When I use linkpoints to pay for brokerage, Lim Tan will give back 50% linkpoints used. The linkpoints earned in one year is enough to pay for several years' union fee :s12:

Since Feb 2009 I have collected 240,000 linkpoints from Lim Tan, credit card spending and purchases from NTUC fairprice. Besides every year I get 4% rebates on purchases from NTUC fairprice about $100+ dividend on fairprice shares.

Members also give some insurance coverage.

hi henry, would like to know how did you buy fairprice shares? Is it automatically given once you become ntuc member ? how to get the rebate 4%. so far i get only link points.

Last edited:

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi henry, would like to know how did you buy fairprice shares? Is it automatically given once you become ntuc member ? how to get the rebate 4%. so far i get only link points.

You need to fairprice member to enjoy the annual 4% or 5% rebate on total purchases during the year.

Now not sure how to be fairprice member.

I think you need to be union member or have ntuc life insurance policy to be fairprice member. But now I think max number of fairprice shares is 20 only at $1 each. When I bought insurance policy many years ago I also bought fairprice shares. I bought 1000 shares then and with bonus shares now got more than 2000 shares.

If you get because of insurance policy, the shares will be re-purchased from you when the policy expires or matures and you not longer a member. I no longer got insurance policy, but managed to retain the shares cause I joined the union just before my policy matured. My wife's policy matured and her 2000+ shares were repurchased by fairprice. That's was an oversight on my part.

Besides, linkpoints and annual rebates and dividend, fairprice or union members sometimes get additional upfront discount on certain purchases which public doesnt get.

Last edited:

sgd10m

Reaction score
NTUC used to have FairPrice Plus Personal Loan, so in this sense NTUC operates like a bank, but now this function transfered to OCBC, is this correct understanding?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NTUC used to have FairPrice Plus Personal Loan, so in this sense NTUC operates like a bank, but now this function transfered to OCBC, is this correct understanding?

Now there is NTUC Thrift & Loan for lending money.

Elvis_j_s

Reaction score
12 * $9 = $108

you get:

2) plus credit card -> 10% rebate on housebrand items (supposedly got 500+ items)
3) $1 = 2 link points @ ntuc (about 1.33% )
4) cheaper redemption of items @ the linkpoint online store

Correction.

Last month is double of the fee. is S18..

sgd10m

Reaction score

-----------this is only for Fareprice purchase right?

compro_1975

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

-----------this is only for Fareprice purchase right?

yup... for the first $20 rebate u will not get cos use to buy ur shares.... like my case, i just received the paper

dreamyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
double confirm...not worth it.
i regret it but was force into it.
will cancel upon renewal which coming soon.

It depends on individual. Would say it's worthwhile to get if u shop at NTUC Fair Price frequently.

SBS2716G

Master Member
Reaction score
i think it will be better to get that maybank credit card instead with 5% rebate.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
NTUC union member also gives you complimentary NTUC Gift insurance as well as being able to purchase the LUV plan(a cheap term life insurance).

Verbatin

Reaction score
Use Maybank card to pay to get 5% rebates

Use Plus card to collect link points (1.33%). do not use plus card to pay

If u r NTUC union member paying $9 a mth, u get an additiona 4-5%yearly rebates

i think it will be better to get that maybank credit card instead with 5% rebate.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.