Bad Quality Asus Desktop

leomelvintoh

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was at the SITEX 2011 yesterday and I wanted to purchase a desktop for gaming. As I have been thinking of purchasing an Asus for quite sometime, I went to the Asus Booth to check out the desktop.

Initially, I was considering to purchase the CG8250 Desktop PC as it was recommended by HWZ. However, the salesman recommended to get the CM1831 which runs on the AMD Phenom X4 850 platform. He launched some GPU programme on both desktops for me to compare the FPS and the FPS on the AMD platform was 41FPS while the other which runs on Intel i5 was 19FPS.

Thus, I decided to purchase the one which runs on AMD platform. However, when I went home to fix up my PC and tried testing everything out, the desktop run really sluggishly, even slower than my Dell Laptop which runs on Core Duo platform.

When I restarted the PC, the whole system seemed to crashed and there was this error message that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

This went on for some time and I tried to get to Windows but no avail. After waiting for some time, I tried again and it went to Windows; however, the whole system was really sluggish! After which, it hanged and I had to restart the whole PC.

Upon restarting the PC, the same error message came out again.

It is really very frustrating for me as this was my first Desktop Purchase after a long time and I don't understand why this is happening especially when I heard from my friends that Asus Products are of good quality.

I suspect that the HDD/motherboard may have something to do with this as there have been a clicking sound. Can anyone advise as to what I should do?

1). Bring the PC back to the vendor and exchange for a new one?
2). Bring the PC back to the vendor and top up additional money for the intel i5 model?
3). Call the Asus hotline to repair any affected parts?

By the way, the vendor was @ Notebook-Com Private Limited.

Last edited:

eminus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dont they have in their on-site warranty? I mean that is a desktop :) it is heavy. check/read your warranty card and see if they have the option to come to your place and fix/fetch it

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
Should be first year on site 2nd and 3rd year carry-in. Just call them and fix a date to come down.

leomelvintoh

Reaction score
Hi eminus and wtfh4x,

yes, they do have 3 years on site warranty. I probably would get them to come down and check my desktop as what both of you have suggested.

Honestly, I don't know if AMD Phenom X4 850 is a good processor. =X

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi leomelvintoh,

I would like to apologise for your bad experience with us ever since your last desktop purchase.
It seems that you have got bad hard drive in the system.

Please call our service center for arrangement.

You may find our service center details here.

Thanks.

Best regards,
ASUS Technology

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi eminus and wtfh4x,

yes, they do have 3 years on site warranty. I probably would get them to come down and check my desktop as what both of you have suggested.

Honestly, I don't know if AMD Phenom X4 850 is a good processor. =X

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."
This error shows that the hard disk is faulty so most likely
Asus will replaced the hard disk.
Asus may I ask why wasn't there any new model featuring
AMD Fusion A series:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1497231&CatId=4928

I was quite shock that Asus brought in this model.

leomelvintoh

Reaction score
Problem Solved

Hello Everyone,

the problem has been solved. I personally brought the whole desktop down to @notebook.com at Sim Lim Square and did a one-to-one exchange with the retailer. David from the company assisted me with the exchange and my desktop is working fine now.

However, I would like to highlight that Asus Service Centre ought to improve on its efficiency. It is only after countless calls to the service centre that I managed to speak with one of the operator and even so, my problem was still pending and it took them more than 2 days to respond to my query.

Maybe something could be done to improve on its after-sales service standards?

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

the problem has been solved. I personally brought the whole desktop down to @notebook.com at Sim Lim Square and did a one-to-one exchange with the retailer. David from the company assisted me with the exchange and my desktop is working fine now.

However, I would like to highlight that Asus Service Centre ought to improve on its efficiency. It is only after countless calls to the service centre that I managed to speak with one of the operator and even so, my problem was still pending and it took them more than 2 days to respond to my query.

Maybe something could be done to improve on its after-sales service standards?

Hi leomelvintoh,

Good to hear that problem has been solved.
We are aware of it, however, it takes time to improve overall services.

Thanks.

Best regards,
ASUS Technology

Icesmash1

Reaction score
blue sreen and restart

Hi. I recently bought an ASUS CM1831 at Sitex notebook.com (newstead). I have been getting blue screen accompanied with restarts (6 so far) ever since I bought it. So I tried googling and came across a program, WhoCrashed, which analyzes the cause of the crash. All 6 error reports are the same (see below). It seems to be a result of this driver, ntoskrnl.exe. What should I do? Thanks!

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120611-16707-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x1A4913, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002A9C140)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi. I recently bought an ASUS CM1831 at Sitex notebook.com (newstead). I have been getting blue screen accompanied with restarts (6 so far) ever since I bought it. So I tried googling and came across a program, WhoCrashed, which analyzes the cause of the crash. All 6 error reports are the same (see below). It seems to be a result of this driver, ntoskrnl.exe. What should I do? Thanks!

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120611-16707-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x1A4913, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002A9C140)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Does it persist after system recovery?

Thanks.

Icesmash1

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't tried system recovery. For now, I tried changing the mouse and the keyboard. Came across a website which provides solutions for the NTOSKRNL.EXE error.

(i can't post a link because hwz says i dont have sufficient posts - basically just key in NTOSKRNL.EXE into google search and its the first result - computerhope.com)

So I am going to wait for a few more days and see whether the problem still persists after changing the keyboard & mouse. By the way, the keyboard and mouse that I initially used was provided by the vendor (newstead) and its logitech wireless (so keyboard and mouse was together). Currently, I am using an older lenovo keyboard and mouse. If the BSOD still continues, I may try system restore but not too sure whether this will be of any good since the problem started a mere 3 days after I bought the computer (I didn't really do much on the computer within that 3 days).

If it is proven that the logitech mouse and keyboard is the one that is causing problems, do I get a replacement from newstead (notebook.com) ? Thanks!

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I haven't tried system recovery. For now, I tried changing the mouse and the keyboard. Came across a website which provides solutions for the NTOSKRNL.EXE error.

(i can't post a link because hwz says i dont have sufficient posts - basically just key in NTOSKRNL.EXE into google search and its the first result - computerhope.com)

So I am going to wait for a few more days and see whether the problem still persists after changing the keyboard & mouse. By the way, the keyboard and mouse that I initially used was provided by the vendor (newstead) and its logitech wireless (so keyboard and mouse was together). Currently, I am using an older lenovo keyboard and mouse. If the BSOD still continues, I may try system restore but not too sure whether this will be of any good since the problem started a mere 3 days after I bought the computer (I didn't really do much on the computer within that 3 days).

If it is proven that the logitech mouse and keyboard is the one that is causing problems, do I get a replacement from newstead (notebook.com) ? Thanks!
I doubt such a basic device will cause ur problem. Did u install the correct driver? Anyway best of luck with ur generic set hope no more BSOD.

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry but what is a "time stamp" feature?
I some sort of a auto back up feature. But wonder if this name is for certain makes only or across the board. Cos now bands like to come up with their own version of things that quite similar to the OS but rename it and call it some fancy name.

Icesmash1

Reaction score
hey guys, i have made sure that all the drivers installed are up-to-date. I have even tried system restore to the earliest possible date (3 days after I bought the computer). But i still get BSOD. Gonna call ASUS later in the morning.

Icesmash1

Reaction score
These are the dump reports that i got using an app called "bluescreenview". I restored my system to the 30th of November (this was the earliest option I could choose) yesterday. So there are total of 4 BSODs (2 before the system restore and 2 after). I forgot to save the dump reports for 1st Dec-13th dec before doing system restore. But the errors are basically the same.

They are "caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe"
and it was either "Bug Check String : MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" or "Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

I have read other forums which said I should perform memtest and driver verifier. But it seems rather complicated and I don't want to mess around with a computer which is supposed to working fine (I bought it at Sitex last month).

I have also called ASUS and they said a technical guy will be calling me back later today.

Thank you for reading!

==================================================
Dump File : 121411-26036-01.dmp
Crash Time : 14/12/2011 10:27:38 AM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : fffff880`08df3018
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000001
Parameter 3 : fffff880`040e1756
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17640 (win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\121411-26036-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 275,416

Dump File : 121411-18033-01.dmp
Crash Time : 14/12/2011 1:42:52 AM
Parameter 1 : fffff880`09064018
Parameter 3 : fffff880`02c7c756
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\121411-18033-01.dmp

Dump File : 113011-23010-01.dmp
Crash Time : 30/11/2011 2:12:28 AM
Parameter 1 : fffff880`0921f018
Parameter 3 : fffff880`02cdf756
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\113011-23010-01.dmp

Dump File : 112911-16848-01.dmp
Crash Time : 29/11/2011 3:43:50 PM
Bug Check String : MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001a
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00041790
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`0207d230
Parameter 3 : 00000000`0000ffff
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\112911-16848-01.dmp

Icesmash1

Reaction score
So I had to call ASUS thrice today.

1020hrs: Called and explained that I kept getting BSOD. The ASUS guy took down details and said someone else will call me later in the day. So I said ok.

1530hrs: I got impatient because I knew that the call centre was not 24hrs so I called ASUS again. This time, I got a lady who told me to do a system recovery. She took down more details like serial no. etc. So I put down the phone and performed a system recovery. (press F9)

This was when things got nasty. System recovery did not complete. I tried twice and got this error message "Failed to apply image". I tried for the third time and it did manage to reach 99%. But then the system just had to BSOD! So now I can't even start my com (it gets into a loop when turned on - can't even get to recovery page to try it again)

1620hrs: I called ASUS again and explained my problem. She said ASUS will call me back within 2 days. By the way, she also said that she wasn't sure whether it was onsite warranty or not. Personally, I am not too sure whether I'm covered on site. How do I check whether its onsite or not? Kinda troublesome to lug the desktop to the service centre.

Lesson of the day: Buy an ASUS product which has a product page. This CM1831 desktop does not have one. Go ahead. Try googling. My ASUS laptop K43SV works like a breeze.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.