[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

elimmel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yep 189 but heard parking is terrible. carpark closed even before event started yest morning.
retail outlets will sell at sitex prices?

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take public transport lah... else try the newly opened changi point mall lor tho dun think got space

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This kind of hot event, can forget about driving there directly one. Last time I would park at airport, then take MRT down 1 station.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sls still going for around $209. Do check in shop promo.. Otherwise, there is no drop or change in freebies since comex

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New firmware version:

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.7f
1. add GUI site survey feature on WDS page
2. add GUI usb modem pin code code setting
3. add GUI VPN passthrough page
4. add GUI automatic LAN DHCP pool range adjustment ot match current netmask
5. restore GUI wireless authentication WPA-Auto-Enterprise option
6. fix 2TB+ usb storage support
7. fix LAN to WAN filter cross midnight issue
8. fix AiDisk permission and dos attributes issues
File Size
7,71 (MBytes) 2011.11.21 update

elimmel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it an overkill to get the N56U to use with MOL express 16mbps plan?
currently using old buffalo AirStation WHR-G54S.
hoping to upgrade plan soon though.

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have a NAS and/or transfer files a lot between PCs/laptops. Or do you stream movies from PC to TV?

If yes to any of the above, then get it. If no, get something cheaper.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Will at least do you good for wireless throughput and local transfers for now.

Bapenigo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have a NAS and/or transfer files a lot between PCs/laptops. Or do you stream movies from PC to TV?

If yes to any of the above, then get it. If no, get something cheaper.
I am currently using this router with apple tv 2 and DNS-320. When I stream HD movie from DNS-320 via apple tv 2, it's quite choppy though. So the only way I stream movies, they are all not in HD quality.

Bapenigo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will at least do you good for wireless throughput and local transfers for now.
Care to explain further? What do you mean by for now? I thought this router is for people staying in maybe 5 room flat or house?
I have the same MOL express like him and I am staying in a 3 room flat. I wouldn't say the coverage/ range is good, it's the same as linksys WRT54G.

miketkf

Reaction score
which booth is selling this at SITEX? could not find it
Same with me, I had walked around 3 times and I still can't find the booth that is selling except that there are 3 different Asus booths selling all Asus's notebooks.:D

tiwee

Master Member
Reaction score
Same with me, I had walked around 3 times and I still can't find the booth that is selling except that there are 3 different Asus booths selling all Asus's notebooks.:D

I just bought it. There are two small booth at Asus, really small booth selling the network equipments. it is together with the booth selling notebooks but it is facing the back. I think this Asus booth is in the center of the whole event.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Care to explain further? What do you mean by for now? I thought this router is for people staying in maybe 5 room flat or house?
I have the same MOL express like him and I am staying in a 3 room flat. I wouldn't say the coverage/ range is good, it's the same as linksys WRT54G.

Have you done any proper throughput testing on this router vs your WRT54G? Sometimes you can't just compare range, you need to see what throughput you can get in the same area.

Anyway, "overkill" is subjective. There are other advantages to this router that are not immediately apparent when you just look at subscription plans and intended wireless coverage.

Last edited:

elimmel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Couldn't take it so went ahead and bought the Asus. Significant speed increase and coverage. Shiok!
My vulkano seems to stream better too :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.