ASUS Transformer Prime

cwpang_musician

Reaction score
Hi, I believe the links you provided are under the sub-category of "Traders & Businesses". For consumers like us, I don't think there's a need for such permits. So far, I have ordered from the US a couple of times and have incurred GST once or twice. I guess it depends on your luck or whether the freight forwarder bothers.

So your products were delivered to your door step and you paid GST to the person who deliver them?

azzurri1980

Reaction score
I think if there is too much risk or trouble, waiting for the local suppliers to bring in the hardware would be the best choice.

The warranty, power issue of the devices, risk of losing the package,etc.

At least we don't have to worry about these things when buying locally.

Last edited:

elu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no, and no... I bought goods under 400 before but not from US...I have send items valued more then 400 using UPS from overseas before, i got GSTed.

Maybe i got lucky...

Do you have some experience with the customs that you would like to share?

SG Customs will base the total value on the sum of:

1) Declared value on the invoice
2) Shipment/delivery charges

If the sum exceeds SG$400 after conversion, GST will be levied on the product. If you are using an international courier company to handle the item (e.g. DHL/FedEX), they will pay the tax on your behalf and charge you upon delivery.

azzurri1980

Reaction score
SG Customs will base the total value on the sum of:

1) Declared value on the invoice
2) Shipment/delivery charges

If the sum exceeds SG$400 after conversion, GST will be levied on the product. If you are using an international courier company to handle the item (e.g. DHL/FedEX), they will pay the tax on your behalf and charge you upon delivery.

Thanks for sharing,

The price I have from B&H is approximately USD 550 (499 + 50shipping) or SGD 720, when we include GST that will be a total of 770 which is not really any cheaper IF the Prime is sold at 798(in line with most of the 32gb tablets)

But if the Prime is really sold at USD499 or SGD 650 then it will be very expensive!

For those who can wait, I think just wait....

azzurri1980

Reaction score
According to the web.,..
Prime will be release in Taiwan on the 1st Dec,
19th Dec in the US, no mention of other locations yet.

Those who can't wait, can fly over to Taiwan!

yhw22

Master Member
Reaction score
According to the web.,..
Prime will be release in Taiwan on the 1st Dec,
19th Dec in the US, no mention of other locations yet.

Those who can't wait, can fly over to Taiwan!

32G (不含鍵盤) - 建議售價 (NT$) 17,900 32G (完整套件) 64G (不含鍵盤) - 20,900  64G (完整套件) - 23,900  Eee 鍵盤基座 - 4,490

cwpang_musician

Reaction score
32G (不含鍵盤) - 建議售價 (NT$) 17,900 32G (完整套件) 64G (不含鍵盤) - 20,900  64G (完整套件) - 23,900  Eee 鍵盤基座 - 4,490

Is there Asus retail store in Taiwan? Or just like in Sg where it is sold through electronic gadget retailers?

azzurri1980

Reaction score

NT$ 17,900 is approximately SGD762 compared to US @USD499 or SGD650.
Most prob we are going to see the same kind of pricing as Taiwan?

The dock cost pretty much the same as US around SGD195.

Last edited:

YSLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Given Singapore is the land of expensive and overpriced stuff, I expect $749. Kinda like how the Slider is priced at US$499 but somehow morphed to S$749 here...

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will it come running ICS or still 3.2 waiting for upgrade.

azzurri1980

Reaction score
I miss the parts on the haptic feedback, paying attention to the design too much haha

So far so good for Asus Prime, most reviews seems pretty good
- Thinnest, good design, powerful cpu, one of the lightest

But there are some drawback as well,
- iPad 2 still have better 3D performance despite been dual core
- Battery performance, maybe due to 3.2. Tegra 3 is designed with ICS in mind?
- no 3G version!? Cannot show off this beauty in the MRT haha

cwpang_musician

Reaction score
I miss the parts on the haptic feedback, paying attention to the design too much haha

So far so good for Asus Prime, most reviews seems pretty good
- Thinnest, good design, powerful cpu, one of the lightest

But there are some drawback as well,
- iPad 2 still have better 3D performance despite been dual core
- Battery performance, maybe due to 3.2. Tegra 3 is designed with ICS in mind?
- no 3G version!? Cannot show off this beauty in the MRT haha

Maybe can I ask something stupid? With a 3G version, is it able to make call from the tablet?

azzurri1980

Reaction score
The Samsung Galaxy tab1000 7" can be use as phone, but even with ear piece it look silly.

I think the point of having 3g network access is for internet surfing (at places without wifi)?

The tablet has no 3g functionality but since the dock has a usb port it should be useable with a usb modem, like most laptop.

yhw22

Master Member
Reaction score
The tablet has no 3g functionality but since the dock has a usb port it should be useable with a usb modem, like most laptop.

With USB port, you still can't use 3G dongle too, as it required drivers for android. Most of the 3G dongle need drivers. Due now I think no 3G dongle manufactures had written driver for android.

You still can use 3G dongle provided you root it and install driver written for it. You may refer to xda forum on how to do it. :D

azzurri1980

Reaction score
wa thanks for the heads up on this, I guess the Prime will be stuck on wifi for a while hehe, but its still one hell of a beast!

Fifa03fan

Reaction score
wa thanks for the heads up on this, I guess the Prime will be stuck on wifi for a while hehe, but its still one hell of a beast!

Can at least tether using HP. :)

The one thing I thought Asus could have done better is having speakers on both sides. Hopefully the sound is indeed better as promised.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.