Bangkok Trip - Part 1

IceX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh the new mall terminal 21 got decent collections for guy's clothing? branded one or normal one?

Azrielsc

Reaction score
Come to think of it, even if you bargain, the price difference that you saved, if you convert back to S$, it ain't much. :)

I keep my mouth shut and let my wife do the bargaining because it is easier between 2 thais, than for me to open my mouth and let the seller know that I am a tourist.

Just take it as the price of inflation. :)

Last edited:

rVn_mUfC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, even if you bargain, the price difference that you saved, if you convert back to S$, it ain't much. :)

I keep my mouth shut and let my wife do the bargaining because it is easier between 2 thais, than for me to open my mouth and let the seller know that I am a tourist.

Just take it as the price of inflation. :)

most of the time, i dun really bargain. like you say, the price diff when converted to SG isn't huge at all. the only exception being the now defunct suan lum night bazaar, where they open their price at around 3x-4x of the actual selling price to try n chop tourist, that one no choice must bring down price since the opening isn't reasonable at all.

personally i m not really a bargain hunter, but i prefer the varieties available in BKK. and if you guys have time, take a look at their local brand like CPS Chaps, Jaspal or Greyhound etc. Price is not low like you expect in platinum or JJ that's for sure, but its something you wont be able to find over here. And during year end usually they have big sales going round, just last week i got 1 jean from CPS at 50% off usual price. The downside being there's no fitting room usually for such end year sales, so you got to know ur size or do like what the thais did, wear their jean over their boxer on the spot :x

I do understand different people have different agenda in going to bkk, but i just have to say there is much more to do in Thailand besides shopping.

Last edited:

Azrielsc

Reaction score
I agree. Now that you mention it, my wife just dragged me into Chaps and she got herself 2 pairs of shorts, as Chaps is now having a store wide 50% discount. Yes, you can't try them on but one helpful sales lady gave my wife a long skirt with an elastic band so she can wear it and change her shorts and try the new ones! A pair of shorts that usually cost 1,600baht is now half price, this is something that my wife would definitely go for!!!!

The beers are starting to be on "sale" too, since it is only a few days to the New Year! Reserved 2 tables at a NY party for S$120 and we are given 8 towers of Asaki beer!!! Can't wait for the NY to come!

Azrielsc

Reaction score
Gals going to Bkk mostly is to shop n bargain n it's something u can't do it in sg. Just like auntie bargaining in market. 1 dress cost 500 baht n 10 dresses cost 5000 plus bad attitude, I can use the money to shop online from forever21 website n moreover it is cheaper to shop in sg now. guys will never understand. N on few occasions in Bkk, I spend less money with many bags of loots vs my guy friends spending more with lesser stuff. Bargaining is a part of joy during shopping which guys won't do as they feel embarrass for doing so.

That is unfortunate that you feel this way. Maybe BKK IS getting more expensive and vendors do not give as much discount whilst bargaining but if this trend is continuing like this, there is nothing that anyone of us can do. Even my Thai wife also commented that it is not as cheap as before, but she shrugs her shoulders and continue shopping because she can get items that she couldn't find home in Singapore.

Remember that we are tourists and we are coming to a country to enjoy its culture/sightseeing/lifestyle/shopping. Just because we like to bargain like aunties in a wet market does not automatically make the Thais want to bargain with us, right? :) We shouldn't be imposing our habits on a country that we are visiting in.

Like what you have decided, maybe shopping online would give you better deals and no attitude, instead of flying all the way over here and not get the bargains that you so desire.

IceX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
imo no point bargaining...add up it can't even cover half of the amount of tips that I give out.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, so my point is...... going Taipei is as good as going to Bkk. Shopping is more fashionable, great food, great scenary. Prices are transparent, no bargaining. Same goes to local. tix can get below 300 during promo, hotel n fx about the same prices. I'm really sick of going to Bkk unless if I go there to pray.

Taiwan if promotion by Jetstar is 200 to 260 or more.
But taiwan so far. Take the flight is already 4.5 hours.
The things there are kinda expensive right?

applefreak

Reaction score
well i guess we all have our favourite places for holidays
for me, bkk is like a second home
just buy tix, book hotel and fly
i go there for makan, walk around, relax...
haven't been to taipei so won't comment on that :)

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well i guess we all have our favourite places for holidays
for me, bkk is like a second home
just buy tix, book hotel and fly
i go there for makan, walk around, relax...
haven't been to taipei so won't comment on that :)

becase taiwan is quite a distance from singapore... bkk is still nearer and more convienent..

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just booked ticket to BKK on 16th Jan. Can't wait for that day.

BKK here i comeeee!!!!!!!!!!!:s12:

Azrielsc

Reaction score
Will be back in BKK tomorrow from my wife's hometown for a few last min shopping before coming home to Singapore. Will be back to BKK on 16/1 as well!

Last edited:

Azrielsc

Reaction score
You all should check out Novotel Platinum. Just opened on 26/11/2011 and is situated beside Platinum Mall and Pantip Plaza. Good for both guys & gals. :)

Just checked in and very impressed with the service and the room. All new furnishings and design and pricing is S$136/night, which is cheaper than Novotel Siam Square, which I paid about S$167/night for basically a older hotel. Rates are all in, free wifi but does not include breakfast.

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually i stay in First Hotel which is 5mins walk from Platinum Mall. Save the money for shopping and makan.:o

You all should check out Novotel Platinum. Just opened on 26/11/2011 and is situated beside Platinum Mall and Pantip Plaza. Good for both guys & gals. :)

Just checked in and very impressed with the service and the room. All new furnishings and design and pricing is S$136/night, which is cheaper than Novotel Siam Square, which I paid about S$167/night for basically a older hotel. Rates are all in, free wifi but does not include breakfast.

Azrielsc

Reaction score
Usually i stay in First Hotel which is 5mins walk from Platinum Mall. Save the money for shopping and makan.:o

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried Novotel Platinum was because I saw it being featured on Asiaone website 2 days ago, so decided to give this hotel a try.

Staying so close to Platinum Mall etc has a detrimental effect on my wallet, regardless which hotel I stay in. Hahaha!

applefreak

Reaction score

hmm find it a little pricey
for that price i'd rather stay at amari watergate :D
novotel siam square is way over priced imho

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.