Seriously. anyone entered uni from a local poly? can post results?

afrovillain

Reaction score
Anyone here went to overseas uni using diploma?

Can share cos interested in taking the route.

Inneart

Reaction score
You need a minimum of at least 3.5 combined gpa by sem 5(year 3 sem 1). Any lower and it'd be even harder to get a place.
However, some uni courses which require portfolio may not need very high gpa.

Presently you need a minimum GPA of 3.8 to enter uni. :s13:

jen.95

Reaction score
Presently you need a minimum GPA of 3.8 to enter uni. :s13:

GPA 3.8 is a bit too high le.

Typically, local uni admission takes into account of O level result as well. 80% poly GPA and 20% O level grades.

If your O level score is good, approximately 3.4 might be enough to enter less popular courses in engineering such as EEE (NTU). I have also seen people with GPA 3.4 (O Level L1R4 11 points) entering FASS (NUS).

If one is able to score 3.8, that person will have plenty more choices. 3.8 is definitely not the min score required to enter uni, especially since people scoring 3.8 is not that plentiful. At a safer range, 3.6 might be enough. However, for popular courses, 3.8 might indeed be the min.

bichk3

Reaction score
Anyone here went to overseas uni using diploma?

Can share cos interested in taking the route.

yup, my friend went to edinburgh with a local diploma. her gpa was ard 3.0 and she got one year off. actually going to overseas uni with local diploma is easier than going to local uni, plus you will get exemptions cos overseas uni recognise poly modules. most cases you get one year off, some will give two years. or if you wanna go to america, you will get credits off.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not edinburgh Uni is in Scotland, a yr off is would mean studying 3yrs for a degree since all Scottish are 4yrs unlike those at wales and England which is 3yrs.

States U certainly wouldn't get much off with good Uni.

yes it is easier than Local Uni, depending on which school U apply. Aussie has ~39 Uni, UK maybe ~100, USA over 2500 Uni and colleges.

warriortemujin

Reaction score
there are couple of systems to get into the Uni, for poly students

1. Very good results, u enter Uni on the next intake after u grad from Poly. Straight As student.

2. You didnt do very well, you can opt to work for 3 years then u apply for the course in Uni.

The best is to give the admission office a call.

ochpsx2011

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have scored 18pts in GCE "O" level?
Is so, what poly to enrol?
Pardon me for asking, what is GPA?

messier

Reaction score
Does anyone have scored 18pts in GCE "O" level?
Is so, what poly to enrol?
Pardon me for asking, what is GPA?

18pts abit too high for "O" levels, your only option now is Engineering...either Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering.

GPA is how they grade u in Poly/Uni level.
In secondary school, you take about 7 subjects ( English, Math, Sci, etc... )
and given a grade for each.

In Poly, it is the same thing. I'm not too sure about the point system but here's an example from SP :

Grading System | Singapore Polytechnic

You will be taking about +/- 40 subjects (in poly, we call them modules)

==

I am taking Bioengineering now in SP and I'm aiming for NUS.
I am interested in taking Life Sciences(Biology) but according to the prerequisites, I can only take up Mechanical Engineering or Bioengineering.

Is it possible to apply to any course in Uni or must die die apply to related courses?

yodatan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
18pts abit too high for "O" levels, your only option now is Engineering...either Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering.

Is it possible to apply to any course in Uni or must die die apply to related courses?

18 pts is for 5 subjects or 6 subjects??

u dont have to apply to related courses if u are applying for humanities/business courses, the only thing is u wont get any exemptions (which u probably will get if you have related diploma).

i am not sure about engineering/science courses but even if they do let you in with an unrelated diploma, u are going to be in for a tough time without the background knowledge

limfarm

Reaction score
18 pts is for 5 subjects or 6 subjects??

u dont have to apply to related courses if u are applying for humanities/business courses, the only thing is u wont get any exemptions (which u probably will get if you have related diploma).

i am not sure about engineering/science courses but even if they do let you in with an unrelated diploma, u are going to be in for a tough time without the background knowledge

Hi. There are many poly courses available. There should be one that suits you. In addition to engineering course, you can also look at same of Information Technology course.

Use the last year COP as a reference only. No one what is the COP for this year. SP has published its 2011COP and 2012 intake-size for various course at SP web site.

Justintcy

Reaction score
My GPA is currently 3.15 and my O's is 18 pts. Now final sem at NYP Diploma in Info Tech. Any chances in any of the local U's ? I thinking of NTU's communication studies though...but many ppl say it's not as good as i think it is...:(

SotongBoy5566

Reaction score
My GPA is currently 3.15 and my O's is 18 pts. Now final sem at NYP Diploma in Info Tech. Any chances in any of the local U's ? I thinking of NTU's communication studies though...but many ppl say it's not as good as i think it is...:(

i heard its quite difficult to get into ntu comms studies. with your scores you might not be able to get in anyway but its worth a shot. just don't expect too much.

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score

GPA is how they grade u in Poly/Uni level.
In secondary school, you take about 7 subjects ( English, Math, Sci, etc... )
and given a grade for each.

In Poly, it is the same thing. I'm not too sure about the point system but here's an example from SP :

Grading System | Singapore Polytechnic

You will be taking about +/- 40 subjects (in poly, we call them modules)

==

I am taking Bioengineering now in SP and I'm aiming for NUS.
I am interested in taking Life Sciences(Biology) but according to the prerequisites, I can only take up Mechanical Engineering or Bioengineering.

dun go life science. Have a friend in NUS life science now. she told me its a dying industry. singapore is pulling funds out of the area.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.