ASUS Transformer Prime

azzurri1980

Reaction score
Your estimate is off. The shipping cost will not be that high unless it is packed into a huge box.
The shipping charge you stated is for a package of ~7kg btw.

From experience, a tablet would normally be around 2-3 kg volumetric weight, which would be 20-30 usd.
Dimensions of the item from amazon site below.
Product Dimensions: 10.4 x 0.3 x 7.1 inches ; 1.3 pounds
Shipping Weight: 3.1 pounds (~1.4kg)

Going by dimensions found on the amazon site, entering it into comgateway's shipping calculator shows a charge of ~60USD (shipping +gst).
499+60USD~$730 SGD (using exchange rate of 1.3)
A weight of 3kg approximates ~ $740 SGD.

Thanks for the correction, it was just a rough estimate...

B&H (US retailer) do offer international shipping with UPS(3-5 days), I pre-ordered the Prime from them but they did not have enough stock to fulfill the pre-orders.. the cost inclusive of shipping was USD547.45 (48.45USD for shipping) about SGD 710. After GST it should be around SGD760. Unless the exchange rate differ...

snipes14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel like asking ASUS HQ if they will honor US Prime units here...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your estimate is off. The shipping cost will not be that high unless it is packed into a huge box.
The shipping charge you stated is for a package of ~7kg btw.

From experience, a tablet would normally be around 2-3 kg volumetric weight, which would be 20-30 usd.
Dimensions of the item from amazon site below.
Product Dimensions: 10.4 x 0.3 x 7.1 inches ; 1.3 pounds
Shipping Weight: 3.1 pounds (~1.4kg)

Going by dimensions found on the amazon site, entering it into comgateway's shipping calculator shows a charge of ~60USD (shipping +gst).
499+60USD~$730 SGD (using exchange rate of 1.3)
A weight of 3kg approximates ~ $740 SGD.

I'm sorry but i don't see what is off with regard the previous poster's estimate of shipping costs. He estimated $50-60 and yours from comgateway is $60. How off is his estimate actually? And you added GST for the $60 shipping fee, would that GST figure include GST for the tablet price of $499? Otherwise your estimate of $740 would a bit low?

LegendZenify

Reaction score
I'm sorry but i don't see what is off with regard the previous poster's estimate of shipping costs. He estimated $50-60 and yours from comgateway is $60. How off is his estimate actually? And you added GST for the $60 shipping fee, would that GST figure include GST for the tablet price of $499? Otherwise your estimate of $740 would a bit low?

If you read my post thoroughly, note that I clearly stated that a tablet would approximate 2-3kg shipping weight, which would result in an approximate shipping cost of $20-30 USD (in comparison with 50-60)
Also, I had stated that a shipping charge of $50-60USD would be for a ~7kg package (more than twice the weight, btw)
and that the 60 USD was for GST+shipping.
These would have answered your questions

For explanation's sake...
If you are familiar with comgateway (which I assume you are not), their shipping charges include the total GST incurred (which they then pay to customs)
Their shipping calculator also reflects this (try inputting an item with a high value (>$400 sgd) and one with a low value, the vast difference in cost (that the calculator displays) is due to GST.
Hence, the charges that comgateway will quote you are inclusive of the total GST charges.

emo panda

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ahh,, why so stupid ASUS! Got no GPS n WIFI issues but still greedy
We Asian will buy much more than those American

are u sure there is no gps? on the orignal transformer and most android tablets there is gps.

azzurri1980

Reaction score
If you read my post thoroughly, note that I clearly stated that a tablet would approximate 2-3kg shipping weight, which would result in an approximate shipping cost of $20-30 USD (in comparison with 50-60)
Also, I had stated that a shipping charge of $50-60USD would be for a ~7kg package (more than twice the weight, btw)

If you are familiar with comgateway (which I assume you are not), their shipping charges include the total GST incurred (which they then pay to customs)
Their shipping calculator also reflects this (try inputting an item with a high value (>$400 sgd) and one with a low value, the vast difference in cost (that the calculator displays) is due to GST.
Hence, the charges that comgateway will quote you are inclusive of the total GST charges.

Its all good, many of us are sharing the experience of purchasing or researching :s13: about buying the Prime from US because of the mark up here in SG.

Personally I would still prefer to have direct shipping(in the case of B&H where they use UPS).

metalchar

Reaction score
are u sure there is no gps? on the orignal transformer and most android tablets there is gps.

yea sure, they miscalculated with its design, full metal body means worse reception signal. hence, they remove gps feature of their marketing promo

LegendZenify

Reaction score
Its all good, many of us are sharing the experience of purchasing or researching :s13: about buying the Prime from US because of the mark up here in SG.

Personally I would still prefer to have direct shipping(in the case of B&H where they use UPS).

I understand, direct shipping would be faster and more convenient, especially for those unfamiliar with forwarding companies.

kohkoh17

Reaction score
RRP and the deals that come after that...

FYI to all... Latest as of now.. Go Get em! :s12:

‎[ASUS Official Statement] Dear all, we understand many has concerns on the price of the Transformer Prime in SG, as well as the additional 200 sets of the Transformer Prime which we are offering to the public. Thus, this is an official statement from Asus to address your concerns. Hope this helps. Thanks for all the support.

1) Promotion for Facebook members are limited to 100 sets and we are offering an additional 200 sets (tablets only) to the public to purchase it at a special price of SGD$699. The difference between the Facebook promotion and the public is that for Facebook members, you are getting the bonus gift of the protective case whereby this is not offered to the additional 200 sets.

2) Official introductory retail price of Transformer Prime (tablet only): SGD$759 (UP: $899)

3) Official introductory retail price of Transformer Prime + Docking station: SGD$899 (UP: $1098)

yhw22

Master Member
Reaction score

‎[ASUS Official Statement] Dear all, we understand many has concerns on the price of the Transformer Prime in SG, as well as the additional 200 sets of the Transformer Prime which we are offering to the public. Thus, this is an official statement from Asus to address your concerns. Hope this helps. Thanks for all the support.

1) Promotion for Facebook members are limited to 100 sets and we are offering an additional 200 sets (tablets only) to the public to purchase it at a special price of SGD$699. The difference between the Facebook promotion and the public is that for Facebook members, you are getting the bonus gift of the protective case whereby this is not offered to the additional 200 sets.

2) Official introductory retail price of Transformer Prime (tablet only): SGD$759 (UP: $899)

3) Official introductory retail price of Transformer Prime + Docking station: SGD$899 (UP: $1098)

ASUS Singapore Hi all, to address your concerns as below:

1) There will be a separate queue for Facebook and public promotion.

2) Docking station alone will not be available for purchase on 11 Jan 2012

3) For the additional 200 sets of the Transformer Prime (tablet only), it will be available on 11 Jan 2012 as well from 6pm to 8pm, queue starts at 5.30pm

4) We will be having a roadshow on Transformer Prime from 12 Jan to 15 Jan @ Suntec City mall @ Galleria Foyer L1 (next to Tawandang MicroBrewery)

5) Purchase of Transformer Prime (tablet only) at SGD$759 and Transformer Prime + docking station at SGD$899 can be done from 12 Jan to 15 Jan at our roadshow (Venue as mentioned at pointer 4)

Thanks.

hamudi

Reaction score
now things are looking better at the pricing...
worth getting it now imho...

snipes14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
now things are looking better at the pricing...
worth getting it now imho...

See I told you guys the "usual price" of $899 is a fake price. $759 is more like it, but $899 with dock is uncomfortably close to a laptop already.

azzurri1980

Reaction score
hohoho santa claus is late, no need to order from US, at 759 it is still a better deal then most other 32gb tablet considering its perhaps the most up-to-tablet out there! huzzah for Asus!

hamudi

Reaction score
See I told you guys the "usual price" of $899 is a fake price. $759 is more like it, but $899 with dock is uncomfortably close to a laptop already.

They put Usual Price as $1098 with keyboard now that is alrdy laptop pricing!

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I see, thanks for the clarification. It wasn't that clear to me that the GST was for the total value of the package...

Anyway for the others who may also be similarly confused... based on an exchange rate of US$1 = S$1.30. The GST for the device (at US$499) would be around S$45. Plus a shipping fee of US$30 (estimate upper end) with a GST of S$2.73.

In total the estimate would be = S$735 (give or take S$5 for currency fluctuations). Which is really very close to the RRP of S$759. And I expect the value of the tablet to slide once the others come up with their at CES 2012. And this also means that the US value will slide, plus stocks will ramp up by end of Jan and you might better off waiting for just another month...

Last edited:

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

tat gdnews...able to buy this along with other samsung tab out jan/feb

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.