Rumors on Japan radiation..

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone went to Japan recenty and have done a radiation check?

I was advised by my sister yesterday to not go to Japan as she has friends who came back to Sg and had done a radiation chk n found 10x the amount of radiation in their bodies..

Others said their friends friend can't give birth forever due to the radiation.. Or another version.. Can't give birth until Only 7 yrs later.. It's always the friend's friend..

Whats ur take?

from friend's friend is already BS. :s13::s13::s13:

Jayce_Gal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info! I went Korea past 2 years.. :D

any black and white paper say this what u wrote above haha. OK curious too hahhaa

dunno ley.. tink no hab

Go to the link I provided above.

NEA recently stopped monitoring since last month but they have monitored daily for last year cuz I remembered checking the levels every day for 2 weeks before I go for my Nov 2011 Japan trip and during those period, Singapore's levels were indeed higher than Tokyo's.

And here is Japan's radiation levels for 5th Feb across all its prefectures:
http://radioactivity.mext.go.jp/en/...ctivity_level_prefecture/2012/1010_020614.pdf

Sam i believe u!!

if it is really that bad, im sure mfa will warn us from going there already.
Im sure they dont want us carry the radiation back to sg right :D

Fabian thats what i tink so too la!

Jayce_Gal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ive' also heard this story 2wice from different sources now... i'm not glowing yet tho.. and no superpowers

ahahah! :D I shall use that to reply others when i come bk..

the 7 years cant give birth story i heard before also. i always have doubts about stories that are from friend's friend. somehow it is never from someone we actually know.

nevertheless, no one can say for sure whether there is any effect of radiation in japan... not even the scientists/experts studying radiation. so it is up to urself whether u feel comfortable going there or not. no point going there if ur are afraid, worrying about the food and drinks u take there, and continuing to worry after coming back

I understand :D

BLACK★ROCK SHOOTER;63906272 said:
radiation levels in singapore is higher than tokyo...

ya lo i read the link sam gave..

Jayce_Gal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are really concern, maybe you can consider going to okinawa. It is on the southern tip off japan main island. Check out this website sugoiokinawa.net. They have one article specifically covering radiation in Japan. Got a lot of details. You go slowly read.

If still very concern, maybe you can bring along a radiation detector. I think you can buy it off amazon.com. I think the article also got cover that.

Thank you so much for your reply!! :D

but i still am going to tokyo~

from friend's friend is already BS. :s13::s13::s13:

I wanna tell that to my sis too ley~

zacafronso

Reaction score
NP! Btw i went to tokyo last yr (after the radiation becoz they got cheap tix) i still in one piece. Maybe i got kena radiated (who knows right) but at least i got a great time at tokyo.

Just to quote Yann Martel from Life of Pi- "I must say a word about fear. It's life only true opponent Only fear can defeat life...It begin in your mind, always" so no nid to fear radiation . I think it is only in the mind.

Dun scared la. So many japanese are still staying in tokyo what.

Enjoy tokyo!

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nihon-jin staying there bcos got no choice....where can they migrate to?

but if scare than dun go
if go than dun worry so much
u won't see the side-effect so fast one....but bringing infant i advise better not

Jayce_Gal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Zac sure! Thanks! I got my tix le

Vaxvms nope just me b a girlfriend

lazywitch

Reaction score
I also hear alot abt this rumour, tts y i am abit worried... i booked my ho kkaido trip yet some smart alec come scared me with this...
I have a question. Hope those with japan travelling experience can advise me.
Anyone know where can we buy distilled water in tokyo and hokkaido? Is it easily found?

lazywitch

Reaction score
I checked with MFA yesterday. They said that Ministry of Health (MOH) has advised that thus far, there have been no reported cases of Singaporeans with radiation illness due to travels to Japan. The current radiation levels in Tokyo are within international acceptable limits, and close to Singapore's level. If you have any health concerns, you may wish to consult Travellers Clinic at Tan Tock Seng Hospital and take the necessary precautions. So probably these rumours are unreal.

ralliart_ray

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I checked with MFA yesterday. They said that Ministry of Health (MOH) has advised that thus far, there have been no reported cases of Singaporeans with radiation illness due to travels to Japan. The current radiation levels in Tokyo are within international acceptable limits, and close to Singapore's level. If you have any health concerns, you may wish to consult Travellers Clinic at Tan Tock Seng Hospital and take the necessary precautions. So probably these rumours are unreal.

This is an interesting topic, several of my friends + colleagues knew that I am going to Japan for holidays this month, and they were discouraging me and telling me tales (maybe true stories) on the radiation (like the friend's friend's stories shared here). I really sincerely thank them for their concerns and will stay alert when I am there. For the friends here, I used this for reference...

Disaster/Recovery General Information | JNTO - Japan Travel Updates after the 3.11 earthquake

Some of the their reaction was certainly so !!!!!!! (like "I forbidded you to go Japan!") ... Sterotyping the whole of Japan...

Its like telling me, japanese are going to extinct soon due to radiation... Come on lah, if fated to die, crossing the road in Singapore, also can be knocked down by a car...

Last edited:

xiaojing11

Reaction score

I was advised by my sister yesterday to not go to Japan as she has friends who came back to Sg and had done a radiation chk n found 10x the amount of radiation in their bodies..

Others said their friends friend can't give birth forever due to the radiation.. Or another version.. Can't give birth until Only 7 yrs later.. It's always the friend's friend..

Whats ur take?

Ya, i also heard from my bro's abt his fren's fren.

Hokkaido should b ok bah, becos it's at the north part.

Last edited:

Krysstallyne

Reaction score

Whats ur take?

Sorry to get into this topic since I'm Italian, but don't worry, in Italy everybody told me not to go because it's dangerous, the "Nuclear plant in Fukushima blew up"(WTF?!), "you're going to have serious issues in a few years!" (hey, thanks a lot, that's encouraging!).. but yeah, looks like even in my country the stereotypes are all the same.

Not that I'm underestimating the situation, but I spent months on looking for news, and trustworthy ones especially. In my research I even found out that the radiation here in Tokyo is less than the radiation in Rome. Seriously, What The Hell?!... However, even if my parents allowed me to go and live here for almost three months, they gave me some hints about food cause you never know where it may be from. Moreover, I'll be back in Italy in 12 days so I might think about a proper health check since I donate blood.. So I'll let you know once I'm back :)

Oh yeah, and here's the example of the REAL ITALIAN DUMB GUY: I asked in a forum what should I do for my iPhone (that was before leaving and still was looking for the flight/accomodation etc etc). I had ONE answer, and one only. It was something like this "Oh, you're going to Japan.. Where will you go next, to Chernobyl perhaps?". Seriously, mind your own and shut the hell up, idiot. I'd have appreciated having no answers on my thread instead of this piece of crap.

Last edited:

Reny078

Reaction score
There are risks in everything that we do.

Before the 311 earthquake and radiation leakage, no one is concerned about radiation. Who knows, maybe it is floating around for many months, yrs.. just that no one report it.

Family and friends's concerns I totally understand.
However, we only get to live ONCE and should expose and experience as much as we can (afford).

I find it funny when people who booked tours, start to worry about radiation side effects. Before booking should already know, right.

Anyway, my point is if scared then dont go. It is very simple.
No offence to anyone, just my view on this topic.

Krysstallyne

Reaction score
There are risks in everything that we do.

Before the 311 earthquake and radiation leakage, no one is concerned about radiation. Who knows, maybe it is floating around for many months, yrs.. just that no one report it.

Family and friends's concerns I totally understand.
However, we only get to live ONCE and should expose and experience as much as we can (afford).

I find it funny when people who booked tours, start to worry about radiation side effects. Before booking should already know, right.

Anyway, my point is if scared then dont go. It is very simple.
No offence to anyone, just my view on this topic.

Of course, I do understand my parents and friends' concerns, but since I need to do this trip to improve my Japanese, all I could do was coming here..

As I said, I'm not underestimating the situation, cause we'll never know the truth that lies behind all this: on one side, Italian newspapers when they had the earthquake here they were talking about "Doomsday" "Tokyo is a forsaken city", while on the other side, japanese newspapers were far more neutral.

Basically, everybody's concern is the radiation AFTER 3-11, but if you think about it we're constantly into radiations, due by radio,television and even our phones. I think that going to Japan is as risky as walking down the street and being hit by a brick that fell from the roof. My mum was ok with my decision and agreed with me, while my father was a little harder to agree with.. But still, I'm here, and as long as I'm fine, I'm living my life here with no big concerns.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to get into this topic since I'm Italian, but don't worry, in Italy everybody told me not to go because it's dangerous, the "Nuclear plant in Fukushima blew up"(WTF?!), "you're going to have serious issues in a few years!" (hey, thanks a lot, that's encouraging!).. but yeah, looks like even in my country the stereotypes are all the same.

Not that I'm underestimating the situation, but I spent months on looking for news, and trustworthy ones especially. In my research I even found out that the radiation here in Tokyo is less than the radiation in Rome. Seriously, What The Hell?!... However, even if my parents allowed me to go and live here for almost three months, they gave me some hints about food cause you never know where it may be from. Moreover, I'll be back in Italy in 12 days so I might think about a proper health check since I donate blood.. So I'll let you know once I'm back :)

Oh yeah, and here's the example of the REAL ITALIAN DUMB GUY: I asked in a forum what should I do for my iPhone (that was before leaving and still was looking for the flight/accomodation etc etc). I had ONE answer, and one only. It was something like this "Oh, you're going to Japan.. Where will you go next, to Chernobyl perhaps?". Seriously, mind your own and shut the hell up, idiot. I'd have appreciated having no answers on my thread instead of this piece of crap.

don't worry, we have dumb people in this forum too! someone posted something along the line of 'u have booked a one-way ticket to hell!' in another thread :s8:

at the end of the day, it is all about your personal comfort level. even the experts are unable to give a straight answer whether japan is safe to go or not. going by the figures for the radiation level, tokyo is lower than most other cities including singapore.

sereneong19

Reaction score
it's already been a year. no sights and signs that i had grown an extra limb or arm nor fingers n toes

dreamer75

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my fren went twice to japan btw sept 2011 and feb 2012, no issues so far.

honeypooh

Reaction score
but i understand is...they went for check up , and doc advise them not to conceive within certain number of years.
did anyone go for check up after visiting Japan?

dnsfpl

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are concern(like me)
dont visit japan for the next 3 years

both my colleague friend & gf colleague daughter kana
doc suggest 3 years better dun give birth

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.