SIM-UOL Degree to a Singapore Customs Superintendent?? Pls Help=)

nicholas_tan92

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a newie posting here so i hope i dint post under the wrong forum or anything...

I am considering taking a degree program under SIM UOL (Poly guy here). My ultimate aim is to join Singapore Customs as a Superintendent (the starting rank under their senior officer scheme).

Does anyone know if this would be the best route to take? I understand that SIM UOL is very recognised in the private sector, just a bit concerned that it will not bring me to where i want to be....

Any help would be most appreciated!!

Nic

bubblegumcartel

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've heard of someone who went into SPF holding a UOL external degree from SIM. However, his CCAs and achievements are excellent. Furthermore he graduated with a second upper and thus, was selected for the interview.

I've heard of many others UOL graduates getting rejected by the govt agencies though, not too sure for ICA. All in all, govt agencies are very skeptical in employing distance learning graduates.If you're really keen to join the ICA, grades and other personal achievements are very important. And the combination of these does not even guarantee you a interview.

nicholas_tan92

Reaction score
Hi Bubblegumcartel,

Thanks for the reply!
But i think ICA and Singapore Customs are 2 separate agencies. ICA is under MHA while Customs is under Ministry of Finance. I am more interested in Customs because of the enforcement-related work that it does MINUS the regimentation!!=)

But thanks for the advice anyway. Anyone else can share? would appreciate that a lot.

Laguna123

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share.
My cousin recently graduated from external UOL degree in BnF.
She got 2nd lower but still got called up for interview with the SPF as senior police officer post.
She will be going for her 4th round interview soon if pass should be joining the 9 mths officer cos.:o

Ironically her friend also went for the interview with local degree but fail the 2nd round interview. So i guess is also up to ur interviewing skill and are u suitable for the career.

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Bubblegumcartel,

Thanks for the reply!
But i think ICA and Singapore Customs are 2 separate agencies. ICA is under MHA while Customs is under Ministry of Finance. I am more interested in Customs because of the enforcement-related work that it does MINUS the regimentation!!=)

But thanks for the advice anyway. Anyone else can share? would appreciate that a lot.

SPF and ICA are under MHA. Yes u are correct custom and ICA are seperate agency and the former being under MOF.
Singapore Customs was re-constituted on 1 April 2003, and is a department under the Ministry of Finance (MOF). The process brought together the revenue enforcement and trade documentation functions of the former Customs and Excise Department (CED), the Trade Facilitation Division (TFD) and Statistical Audit Unit (SAU) of IE Singapore. Border control functions at the checkpoints were transferred to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), under the Ministry of Home Affairs.

bubblegumcartel

Master Member
Reaction score
If you have a passion for it, then go ahead with the degree from UOL. Since holding a degree opens up alot more doors. Good luck :)

nicholas_tan92

Reaction score
Just a bit curious,

Are agencies like SPF and ICA considered "harder / more prestigous" to get in compared to Customs? Since they are under MHA while Customs is under MOF..

Hoping to get a good gauge of my chances... just a average guy with average grades..

nicholas_tan92

Reaction score
Just a bit curious,

Are agencies like SPF and ICA considered "harder / more prestigous" to get in compared to Customs? Since they are under MHA while Customs is under MOF..

Hoping to get a good gauge of my chances... just a average guy with average grades..

Any help would be much appreciated!=)

uselessbum

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a bit curious,

Your choice of job should be one which you are interested in and pays an amount which you are satisfied with.You should not choose it based on "prestige" because it is very subjective and varies from person to person.The comparisons will never end.Hey,being a airline pilot is definitely more prestigious than any of those agencies right?Hmm,how about the STAR team in the SPF?Elite special forces,pratically oozes manliness.If you choose a job based only on "prestige",it will only be a matter of time before you loose interest and steam because you ran out of people singing your praises and admiring you for your job.

Also,you have to consider other aspects too.SPF requires you to be at least PES B.Anything lower than that and it is a definite no no.Even if you are PES B,do you think you can pass the required yearly IPPT or even get Silver for it?IPPT will definitely affect your promotion in the SPF just like in the army.ICA from what I heard has no IPPT requirement currently but they plan to implement it as a requirement somewhere in future.Customs has no IPPT requirement.

Finally,yes,there are private degree holders working as Senior Officers within those agencies.Of couse,if your results are only so so,don't expect much of a chance just like any other private sector jobs you might have applied with the same results.But please,don't be mislead into thinking that a private degree will definitely not get you a chance to enter into the public sector.:(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.