Learn Korean?

FandiAhmad17

Reaction score
I want to register for Navigating Korean I (Basic) at NUS Extension but seems like class is not opened yet.

How do I apply?

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried self studying using Korean grammar books? Already got some basics, but no time to attend classes.

starmerck

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are the certs at NUS Extension recognised by the Korean Government?

What I know is that one needs to pass the TOPIK tests in order to be certified proficient in Korean language.

plutoplace

Reaction score
Are the certs at NUS Extension recognised by the Korean Government?

What I know is that one needs to pass the TOPIK tests in order to be certified proficient in Korean language.

Of course not,only offical test such as KLPT and TOPIK are recognised as a measure of korean proficiency.

If you apply for universities or jobs in korea, they will probably ask for your klpt ot topik transcripts if you are a non-korean.

Of course, certified is one thing. Proficient is another. Even if you are certified to have a level 6 in Topik (highest level), you may not be proficient in Korean because the real proficiency is when you can communicate fluently with a native korean.

Btw I am a level 3 topik holder. But my level is probably not even on par with a primary 3 native korean standard..

Last edited:

plutoplace

Reaction score
Hi

I have had my fair share of experiences learning korean at both nus extension, cambridge and singapore korean school.

To help you decide, I will provide information that you might be interested in>

FEES: (from high to low)
NUS (EX), SKS, CAMBRIDGE

FACILITIES:
NUS (EX), SKS, CAMBRIDGE

NUMBER OF HOURS OF LESSONS:
SKS, NUS (EX), CAMBRIDGE

COURSE MATERIALS: (quality of the studying materials)
SKS, NUS (EX), CAMBRIDGE

Overall I will recommend you to go for SKS as they provide 20 lessons, 4 hours a week which translates to 80 hours as compared to 20 lessons, 2 hours a week for NUS (EX). Fees are also cheaper. Besides you get to learn in a 100% korean environment with korean people frequenting the place.

Alternatively, for cheaper private korean tuition you can check out my post.
KOREAN LANGUAGE TUTOR - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Thanks.

Yes. SKS is the best place to learn korean fast. Their materials are geared towards TOPIK. So if you finish studying until a certain level of korean, you should be able to pass the TOPIK. TOPIK is a internationally recognised cert which certifies your proficiency of korean. Furthermore, you can meet many ppl who have a korean connection. Like students who went korea for exchange, ppl who work in korean firms and of course guys/ladies with korean gf/bf. :s13:

infinityabsurdities

Reaction score
not to forget korean music enthusiasts, people who idolise korean celebrities and couch potatoes who are glued to korean reality shows and variety shows!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.