[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

mindgamey

Reaction score
Just got this.

Everything works except the download master.

Tried connecting and got "no device found error"

And one knows what's the issue?

There's very little documentation on this.

Thx

binary_0011

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can anyone confirm will NTFS formatted disk work if plug into the router usb?

i know some devices dont support ntfs, for example ps3 and sony tv.

thanks.

SPEED

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FLashed to 1.0.1.8e FW
Traffic Monitor still incorrect
i d/l at 4MB/s but the monitor is just showing few hundreds KB/s

the RT-N66U has no such issue in the traffic monitor.
Asus pls solve the bug...

szeshin

Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me how i can disable the LAN ports on the N56U.

I have a wireless bridge set-up and will like to disable the LAN ports on the 2nd N56U.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me how i can disable the LAN ports on the N56U.

I have a wireless bridge set-up and will like to disable the LAN ports on the 2nd N56U.

if i remember correctly padavan's firmware seems to have an option for that as well as Green Ethernet. need to go back and check.

sandyph

Reaction score
hi,
anybody know how to refresh the upnp media server ?
Im accessing my ext-hard disk through asus & WDTV.

But even after I deleted some files on the hard disk, it is still shown on the WDTV (though when I want to play it said file not found)

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to manually set the DHCP (M1), can we do that or must be always auto DHCP?

Is there any performance difference using Auto DHCP or Manual DHCP?

Thanks

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to manually set the DHCP (M1), can we do that or must be always auto DHCP?

Is there any performance difference using Auto DHCP or Manual DHCP?

Thanks

Got 2 kinds of DHCP settings hor, dun set the wrong one...

WAN connection to M1 must always be auto, since only M1 can decide what public IP address to give you. Setting it otherwise will break your internet connection.

LAN DHCP is another story. Up to you to decide what private IP address you want to allocate your computers.

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
Got 2 kinds of DHCP settings hor, dun set the wrong one...

WAN connection to M1 must always be auto, since only M1 can decide what public IP address to give you. Setting it otherwise will break your internet connection.

LAN DHCP is another story. Up to you to decide what private IP address you want to allocate your computers.

Thanks. What I meant is the local LAN DHCP setting.

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had a question regarding the setting for "LAN - DHCP Server". (firmware: 1.0.1.8e)

I want to manually assign IPs to my different PC, and I saw there is this setting called "Enable Manual Assignment" - "Yes", or "No".

The help for this saying "Tick No to allow the DHCP server to assign IP addresses to LAN clients manually.", I was confused.

Should it be "Yes"? (Please refer to my screen below)

Thanks.

X1FKn.jpg

Last edited:

binary_0011

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for those who plugged the HDD to the router, do you have found.000(file check) on your disk?

mindgamey

Reaction score
for those who plugged the HDD to the router, do you have found.000(file check) on your disk?

Safely remove (Unmount) the HDD before you switch off the Router.

Probably it was writing something when you switch the router off.

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
What is the supported filesystems?
If I were you I will stay off FAT and NTFS. FAT is too unreliable while NTFS is too resource hungry.

binary_0011

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Safely remove (Unmount) the HDD before you switch off the Router.

Probably it was writing something when you switch the router off.

i think because the router dont understand chinese character, hence it "think" the files are corrupted.. see error below :

Apr 14 21:55:49 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '小*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 3, error -5, chars e5 ae 2e
Apr 14 21:55:51 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '无与伦比的*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 15, error -5, chars e7 be 2e
Apr 14 21:55:53 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '春·*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 5, error -5, chars e6 97 2e
Apr 14 21:55:54 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '苏打绿-*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 10, error -5, chars e5 8d 2e
Apr 14 21:55:55 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '苏打绿同名*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 15, error -5, chars e4 b8 2e
Apr 14 21:55:56 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '陪我*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 6, error -5, chars e6 ad 2e
Apr 14 21:55:58 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '蔡*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 3, error -5, chars e4 be 2e
Apr 14 21:55:59 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert 'J-Top冠军*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 11, error -5, chars e7 b2 2e
Apr 14 21:56:00 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert 'J9 New + Party *.jpg' to unicode. Pos 15, error -5, chars e7 b2 2e
Apr 14 21:56:03 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert 'J世纪Jeneration 大牌新曲精*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 33, error -5, chars e9 80 2e
Apr 14 21:56:07 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '单身情歌·万人*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 20, error -5, chars e8 88 2e
Apr 14 21:56:08 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '唯舞*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 6, error -5, chars e7 8b 2e
Apr 14 21:56:10 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 0, error -5, chars e5 9f 2e
Apr 14 21:56:11 kernel: ufsd: utf8 failed to convert '爱的练*.jpg' to unicode. Pos 9, erro

think i will open a case with Asus, not sure if they will read it...

neomuffin

Reaction score
just bought a n56u router, wireless connection is really good! but I am using wired connection for both my desktop and network storage. somehow it worked for the first time with internet connection and I am able to access to my network storage drive.
but when my desktop is restarted, I am not able to us access my network storage and my connection to my m1 cable modem stopped working after awhile.
I got to restart both modem and router to get my internet wworking again...

any idea what is going on?

KB

Banned
Reaction score
anyone can enlighten what's the optimal settings for max wireless bandwidth on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz? am on MR 100mbps plan

i have a few laptops at home using wireless, all are wireless n, maybe the older ones are n150, but i do have newer lappys that use n300 as well. recently my dad got a new vostro that's got a 5ghz mode.

well i do know to get the best bandwidth i'd have to be on 5ghz band and 40mhz bandwidth? transmission power is maxed at 100%. what kind of settings should i use? am on 1.0.1.8f firmware.

2.4ghz
wireless mode - auto
b/g protect - always off
channel bw - 20/40mhz
channel - auto
ext channel - auto
auth - WPA2 personal
encryption - AES

5ghz
wireless mode - n only
channel bw - 20/40mhz
channel - auto
ext channel - auto
auth - WPA2 personal
encryption - AES

professional settings all default except multicast which i set to auto.

speedtest on a 2.4ghz n300 lappy gave 10mbps down
speedtest on 5ghz lappy was less than 20mbps down

oh, and ddwrt better?

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone can enlighten what's the optimal settings for max wireless bandwidth on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz? am on MR 100mbps plan

i have a few laptops at home using wireless, all are wireless n, maybe the older ones are n150, but i do have newer lappys that use n300 as well. recently my dad got a new vostro that's got a 5ghz mode.

well i do know to get the best bandwidth i'd have to be on 5ghz band and 40mhz bandwidth? transmission power is maxed at 100%. what kind of settings should i use? am on 1.0.1.8f firmware.

2.4ghz
wireless mode - auto
b/g protect - always off
channel bw - 20/40mhz
channel - auto
ext channel - auto
auth - WPA2 personal
encryption - AES

5ghz
wireless mode - n only
channel bw - 20/40mhz
channel - auto
ext channel - auto
auth - WPA2 personal
encryption - AES

professional settings all default except multicast which i set to auto.

speedtest on a 2.4ghz n300 lappy gave 10mbps down
speedtest on 5ghz lappy was less than 20mbps down

oh, and ddwrt better?

there's no ddwrt for this, but you can try padavan's firmware. Go for 1.0.1.8e-p2 if you are just dipping your toes in this, or the latest if you dun mind some risk.

My notebook is a single stream N (150) but I can hit 60Mbps on it, one room/wall away.

Last edited:

KB

Banned
Reaction score
there's no ddwrt for this, but you can try padavan's firmware. Go for 1.0.1.8e-p2 if you are just dipping your toes in this, or the latest if you dun mind some risk.

My notebook is a single stream N (150) but I can hit 60Mbps on it, one room/wall away.

how's padavan's compared to usual firmware? in terms of speed, i guess that's the only thing that concerns me..

oh i saw padavan's on ddwrt forums, and assumed it's ddwrt firmware lol!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.