J3 users come here!

Abletron001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
J3 sexy mah.....so she lor...lol

You are right, the clip+ represent the best price point from a SQ point.

Today got a bit of time to mess with the J3...

Very headphone dependance, find that as long as I stick to lower headphone...the sound with eq off is excellent vs a lot of other players...with high end headphone..cmi without amping.

Also have a bit of time with a itouch today..

Without EQ...itouch vs j3...the different is noticeable but subtle...J3 has better dynamic. With EQ...itouch can sound good but the lost of detail is wayyyy greater than J3 and bass seemed to bleed into the midrange (could be my bad eq lah).

J3 still win but throw in the interface of itouch..J3 still got a long way to go.

True i would say .

But if you take away all the EQs , i would say Clip+ / Fuze would be the best at its price point .

Btw , why is J3 a she ? :s13:

Last edited:

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ohh , alright . :s13:

To me , a DAP is just a DAP . I use it purely to listen music on the move . Other addons in/on the player are just bonuses for me . UI i would say its sufficient yet understandable enough but of course if you're able to get a J3 with Ipod Touch's UI then it would be the best or better combo imo .

What is your definition of high end headphone ? :s11:

J3 sexy mah.....so she lor...lol

You are right, the clip+ represent the best price point from a SQ point.

Today got a bit of time to mess with the J3...

Very headphone dependance, find that as long as I stick to lower headphone...the sound with eq off is excellent vs a lot of other players...with high end headphone..cmi without amping.

Also have a bit of time with a itouch today..

Without EQ...itouch vs j3...the different is noticeable but subtle...J3 has better dynamic. With EQ...itouch can sound good but the lost of detail is wayyyy greater than J3 and bass seemed to bleed into the midrange (could be my bad eq lah).

J3 still win but throw in the interface of itouch..J3 still got a long way to go.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about the similarly priced Clip Zip compare to the Clip+/Fuze?
On a flat EQ, can you please briefly describe the sound signature of these players.
J3 / Z2 are also under my shortlisted players and would greatly appreciate if you or other owners could make some comparison to the Sansa player.
Many thanks to all.

I don't own a Clip Zip so i can't compare the SQ of it . I've read reviews saying that Zip , Clip+ and Fuze all have the same SQ but there are also others saying that Zip's SQ ain't better than Clip+ or Fuze . If you would wanna add an amp to your overall combo , i would say getting the Fuze would be the better choice since it would be double amping with Clip+ / J3 .

It all boils down to what you seek in a player . I wanted a player with better SQ yet below the price range of $300 thus i bought a J3 . I owned a S9 too but sold it off because i prefer a flat back instead of a curved one .

J3 imo has better sound quality over Clip+ in flat EQ . Their soundstage is wider + better bass and better dynamics . Details are also clearer than Clip+ . Clip+ in flat EQ ain't nothing fantastic . The only attractive factor is the size + price point for the SQ produced .

After adding enabling EQ in the J3 and rockboxing your Fuze / Clip+ , J3 pwns Fuze / Clip+ . The EQs advantages i believe you could read up over at Head-Fi . They have more information about this over there . End of the day, it depends whether you're a purist person or EQ person . Whether you wanna amp or not amping .

For SQ without amp , i would say J3 over the Clip+ .

For SQ with amp , definitely the Fuze over the rest as it has LOD .

tricraze

Reaction score
Newbie here. Never used j3 be4. Lets say if j3 vs iphone wif a DAC (e.g audinst AMP-HP). Which would be better? I heard that j3 sound is good but requires eq and a lot of time is spent on eqing.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. Never used j3 be4. Lets say if j3 vs iphone wif a DAC (e.g audinst AMP-HP). Which would be better? I heard that j3 sound is good but requires eq and a lot of time is spent on eqing.

I would say Iphone with Audinst in this instance .

Leo888

Reaction score
I don't own a Clip Zip so i can't compare the SQ of it . I've read reviews saying that Zip , Clip+ and Fuze all have the same SQ but there are also others saying that Zip's SQ ain't better than Clip+ or Fuze . If you would wanna add an amp to your overall combo , i would say getting the Fuze would be the better choice since it would be double amping with Clip+ / J3 .

It all boils down to what you seek in a player . I wanted a player with better SQ yet below the price range of $300 thus i bought a J3 . I owned a S9 too but sold it off because i prefer a flat back instead of a curved one .

J3 imo has better sound quality over Clip+ in flat EQ . Their soundstage is wider + better bass and better dynamics . Details are also clearer than Clip+ . Clip+ in flat EQ ain't nothing fantastic . The only attractive factor is the size + price point for the SQ produced .

After adding enabling EQ in the J3 and rockboxing your Fuze / Clip+ , J3 pwns Fuze / Clip+ . The EQs advantages i believe you could read up over at Head-Fi . They have more information about this over there . End of the day, it depends whether you're a purist person or EQ person . Whether you wanna amp or not amping .

For SQ without amp , i would say J3 over the Clip+ .

For SQ with amp , definitely the Fuze over the rest as it has LOD .

Thanks x3dnd3x, I did some reading b4 this reply and bought a Zip. Did tried a Clip+ and Zip (from someone I happens to know and owns them) on a flat EQ and thought they sound very similar. I'm not into EQ and for now not looking into an amp as yet for the time being (would like the idea of scaling up step by step and enjoy the progress to audio nirvana). I kind of like what I heard from the Zip and it doesn't cost that much to own. I also know that it will eventually be passed on to my wife/daughter once I find my ideal player. Right now, the J3 is still in my shortlist and will take my time to research on some other players before committing. In your opinion, what is the next step up to the J3? Thanks.

Last edited:

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks x3dnd3x, I did some reading b4 this reply and bought a Zip. Did tried a Clip+ and Zip (from someone I happens to know and owns them) on a flat EQ and thought they sound very similar. I kind of like what I heard and it doesn't cost that much to own and know that it will eventually be passed on to my wife/daughter once I find my ideal player. Right now, the J3 is still in my shortlist will take my time to research on some other players before committing. In your opinion, what is the next step up to the J3? Thanks.

Frankly speaking , i never spend more than $300 on a DAP . If it passes that amount , i rather use the money to get other audio stuffs . I'm more of a headphone person than IEM . Took me awhile before jumping to IE8 with custom sleeve . Before that was using Atrios .

It depends on how you view it . I rather spend more and listen comfortably at home . Imo , J3 up onwards i would say something which is in the top tier league like DX100 and etc . I never tried DX100 before thou .

tomtan07

Reaction score
Any tips on eq-ing on the J3? Have been using the J3 for quite a few months now and I've been using the preset EQs that came with the player ie. BBE Headphone and BBE Mach3Bass. I'm quite satisfied with the sound but is there any way to make it better? Any experts would like to shed light on this?

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any tips on eq-ing on the J3? Have been using the J3 for quite a few months now and I've been using the preset EQs that came with the player ie. BBE Headphone and BBE Mach3Bass. I'm quite satisfied with the sound but is there any way to make it better? Any experts would like to shed light on this?

Go to Iaudiophile forum and look under Jet Effect 3.0 .

Use proxy .

Leo888

Reaction score
Frankly speaking , i never spend more than $300 on a DAP . If it passes that amount , i rather use the money to get other audio stuffs . I'm more of a headphone person than IEM . Took me awhile before jumping to IE8 with custom sleeve . Before that was using Atrios .

It depends on how you view it . I rather spend more and listen comfortably at home . Imo , J3 up onwards i would say something which is in the top tier league like DX100 and etc . I never tried DX100 before thou .

I'm with you regarding being a headphone person and I do own the HD650 and M50. I have a young family with 2 kids and is quite impossible to listen comfortably with all the distractions around. Anyway, you have a point there regarding spending too much on a DAP and have read in other forums that most good quality DAP sounds quite similar on a flat EQ. Now you have trigger my urge to part money for the J3/Z2. About DX100, did thought about it but for the price, I'm not so sure about that.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm with you regarding being a headphone person and I do own the HD650 and M50. I have a young family with 2 kids and is quite impossible to listen comfortably with all the distractions around. Anyway, you have a point there regarding spending too much on a DAP and have read in other forums that most good quality DAP sounds quite similar on a flat EQ. Now you have trigger my urge to part money for the J3/Z2. About DX100, did thought about it but for the price, I'm not so sure about that.

Arh M50 . I'm either on DT990 or T1 . Currently considering to purchase a new headphone for studio monitoring . Considering M50 or MK240ii .

Mzeria

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You have to know your IEM's weak and strong points to eq. As in which areas to boost in the Jet effect 3.0.
If you can do this properly, it will sound better than all of the preset eq's imo.

tomtan07

Reaction score
You have to know your IEM's weak and strong points to eq. As in which areas to boost in the Jet effect 3.0.
If you can do this properly, it will sound better than all of the preset eq's imo.

Hmm.. I'm currently using Shure SE215. Pretty modest setup haha.

Mzeria

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shure SE215

I don't really understand the graph there, but it seems the bass on the 215 is lacking? Probably need to add a bit to it?

To start off, you could set the benchmark as "Normal" eq, and start to improve bit and bit from there. Usually the signature sound isn't too far off from Normal.

tomtan07

Reaction score
Shure SE215

I don't really understand the graph there, but it seems the bass on the 215 is lacking? Probably need to add a bit to it?

To start off, you could set the benchmark as "Normal" eq, and start to improve bit and bit from there. Usually the signature sound isn't too far off from Normal.

Haha the only thing I'm worried about is that the music will start to become unatural, not like how it was originally intended to be heard.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha the only thing I'm worried about is that the music will start to become unatural, not like how it was originally intended to be heard.

EQ-ing will definitely change the music alittle . You gain some , you lose some .

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.