Tiffany Proposal ring

rainofire

Reaction score
hi guys, thinking of buying a tiffany proposal ring.

Lucida setting

the spec,

Colour: G
Carat 0.48
Cut: VSI
Setting. platinum

after enquiry
it cost $8500

is it worth it?

if i change to 18K Gold ring setting, will it be more worth it?
cos i heard platinum ring not worth money.
the diamond no need to say

marnee

Reaction score
So small & its a lousy color...if your budget is 8.5k..u should get a diamond from a less branded retailer or a private jeweller..85k can get u close to a 1 carat diamond at a private jeweller & u can still do a tiffany setting..pple go woow at the size & not cuz its a small tiffany yellowish diamond..it might not look yellowish but it surely isnt white either..if u r restricted to budget no point getting a tiffany with a small carat & a bad color..sorry for being direct but u r asking if its worth it..so giving my 2 cents...

white gold will do...platinum is not just not worth it but also softer if i recall correctly...

jhchoo85

Reaction score
Extremely overpriced IMO... you should post in the Proposal Ring thread... you'll get more feedback.

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you really want. For me I got a Tiffany ring because of the branding. Sure, private jewellers are significantly cheaper but personally a ring to me is a ring. It is not a piece of hardware but heartware. No one can tell what colour is it, what clarity. Only thing they can tell is the size and they will probably ask the brand. Same analogy I used - Why some people will buy a BMW when a lexus has similar specs but cost less? :o

William7981

Reaction score
It depends on what you really want. For me I got a Tiffany ring because of the branding. Sure, private jewellers are significantly cheaper but personally a ring to me is a ring. It is not a piece of hardware but heartware. No one can tell what colour is it, what clarity. Only thing they can tell is the size and they will probably ask the brand. Same analogy I used - Why some people will buy a BMW when a lexus has similar specs but cost less? :o

I agree with you. So far most of my wife friends only asked about the size and brand. So i think that brand is very important when choosing a proposal ring.

marnee

Reaction score
size & brand i agree..brand pple will go wahh its tiffany when u tell them e size they will go ok & in their mind they definately wouldnt be going wah its tiffany & its a 0.48..got a nice number 8 there..yeah tats what they ask..but no1 will tell u exactly what they think..it definately wouldnt be a hot topic for discussion that so n so got a 0.48 carat tiffany yellowish diamond as compared to so n so got a sparkling 1 carat diamond but dont know buy from where..thats y william & swatch bring up size first before the brand..

Its like a bmw @ the smallest cc as compared to the usual 2l & above..

Kevin10

Master Member
Reaction score
Lets say both gers are out chilling and they compare their diamonds..
A Girl - Tiffany
B Girl - Private Jeweller with Better Color/Clarity
Both diamond size abt the same

When they compare, B girl diamond sparkles more then the A Girl, how would the A Girl feel ?

Frankly speaking, is really up to individual.. hehe..
For me, I budget and also due to my past experience in this trade thus I go for private jeweller which is less den half the price of what TS have stated but better quality diamond. =)

Last edited:

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lets say both gers are out chilling and they compare their diamonds..
A Girl - Tiffany
B Girl - Private Jeweller with Better Color/Clarity
Both diamond size abt the same

When they compare, B girl diamond sparkles more then the A Girl, how would the A Girl feel ?

Frankly speaking, is really up to individual.. hehe..
For me, I budget and also due to my past experience in this trade thus I go for private jeweller which is less den half the price of what TS have stated but better quality diamond. =)

In normal light and to the naked eye, I personally don't think that a diff between VS2 and VVS2 will have a significant impact on the "sparkle" of the diamond. Ditto colour. Sure, you can see a slight difference between a H and a D colour, but its really quite negligible. I think cut would affect most. :o

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nowadays woman are more educated.

They know about the 4Cs as well. Will be surprised if they only know about brands.

But ultimately the size is the first factor that comes to mind. :s13:

horlickz

Reaction score
After weighing it all in, think <10k tiffany is a big rip off... Because for a few k more, the differences are quite significant. Tiffany pricing is like debeers, the blue box premium really jialat. I go for branding too, that's why end up at larry's haha

T42rocks

Reaction score
After weighing it all in, think <10k tiffany is a big rip off... Because for a few k more, the differences are quite significant. Tiffany pricing is like debeers, the blue box premium really jialat. I go for branding too, that's why end up at larry's haha

Care to share what you bought at Larrys? Tks!

marnee

Reaction score

hmmm Larrys is a different breed...not just another brand name like Tiffany...well you made a very good selection indeed...i love Larry's Lazare collection..hoping to upgrade my wife's rock to a 2 carat diamond eventually..haa but i doubt i can afford a Lazare diamond of that size..

alwaysnforever

Master Member
Reaction score
hmmm Larrys is a different breed...not just another brand name like Tiffany...well you made a very good selection indeed...i love Larry's Lazare collection..hoping to upgrade my wife's rock to a 2 carat diamond eventually..haa but i doubt i can afford a Lazare diamond of that size..

how much do u make a year... 2 carat diamond is seriously no joke..

jazzy85

Reaction score
wedding proposal ideas

can check out the proposal ideas at wedding tweets singapore

marnee

Reaction score
how much do u make a year... 2 carat diamond is seriously no joke..

Wah are you iras? Haa that would be less than 2% of my nett assets..meaning less off liabilities like housing loans. It will be my family heirloom too passed to my kid eventually.

marnee

Reaction score

aiyah certain things i watch my spending n certain things which i deem a investment i spend lor n i do a fair of investments too..thats how over time i manage to grow more..i dont really believe in e concept of how much u earn is how much u can have..cuz if a person earns 40k a month n spends all of it..at e end of e day he will be poorer than a person who earns maybe 6k but only spends 1-2k. imagine the second guy who earns far less would have about 500k very conservative in 10 years..if he finds way to grow it, it will accumlate even more..which these stuff is also linked to a marriage...haaa cuz now the newly formed couple would have to plan for a future together & set up a bigger family tree n not just focus on themselves..hee

DissatisfiedCustomer

Reaction score
hi, if u r thinking of gg to customised ur ring... pls read below

***WARNING*** BEWARE OF “THE ENGAGEMENT RING SHOP” (@suntec twr 1 #04-01)

*Owner accepted our order for wedding bands & 4dianzuan, kept our deposit (>$1k) for 7 weeks, then gave unprofessional, lousy service and invalid+ambiguous reasons to CANCEL OUR ORDER AT THE LAST MIN!! IRRESPONSIBLE & UNPROFESSIONAL!*

We are writing this to share our horrific and regretful experience with this customised jeweller called the“THE ENGAGEMENT RING SHOP” (@suntec twr 1 #04-01). We’d like to warn all to avoid patronising this shop!

We engaged the David, the owner of THE ENGAGEMENT RING SHOP to work on our wedding bands and 4dianzuan jewellery. He was initially okay but gave a lot of EMPTY promises!

For instance,

1. He said customising would cost more than an existing mould design available, but we realised a design with or without mould worked out to be the same!

2. During meetings, he always assured us that he understands our budget and would check on cost. Which he never did after we left and simply shove us with a grandmother story that hecant revise the cost anymore, because even if supplier can discount further, it was “good for him”.

3. He only sends emails, evenif it was impt details or queries (see below for the other horrific incident).He never bothered to make a service call or give us an SMS no matter how impt the issue was. He only had the guts to do everything via email & for one single issue he can flood us with 3-4 emails all at once.

4. His emails are silly and unprofessional. He can email us with the subject as “kang tow for you” and we were clueless what he was driving at.

5. We know that gold prices can fluctuate. But with yellow 24k gold prices hovering at 67-70+ and whitegold 18k at 49-50+ , he quoted us an alarming price of $73 at first then rose to $77 per 1gm for 18k white gold! If the final ring turns out to be heavier than quoted, we need to top up the additional weight at that rate. We understand he needs to protect his biz frm fluctuating gold prices, but surcharging us at such an alarming rate?

6. When we started asking more on how his quotations work, his entire attitude changed. Don't customers have the right to understand how the quotes work?

7. He doesn’t issue official invoices. Everything was via EMAIL. (which is completely silly and not trustworthy, you’ll know why after u read below…)

It gets worse.

After our first few meetings discussing abt the specs and design, he suddenly threw us off with an emai lthat he cannot take on any jobs anymore because he just confirmed a few orders.what!!!!!??? Not even a phonecall to discuss and he decided the best way was to reject a customer via email. Before we could reply, he flooded us with 3 other emails, to tell us he actually wanted to do our business but if we could give him more time to work on it. & he had some dubious HK supplier who brought in some jewellery that could fit our budget. So we forgave and forgot abt his weird email and decided to continue working with him.

After another meeting, we were almost set! He claimed to give us a special price based on whole package and we accepted his final quotation, despite the fact he increased the 18k goldrate again. We paid our deposit of >$1k and he replied “you do not need toworry , I will ensure to do a good job for the both of you.” We left him to work on our order.

That was the brewing of the ultimatum…

When we came back from an overseas trip, we were curious on the progress. He stated in his email it will be done in 8 weeks. It has been 6 weeks and no news from him. So we contacted him & he told us it would be ready by end April and will contact us soon to try the moulds.

Then, came the last straw. He emailed us and claimed that he LOST OUR JEWLLERY ORDER DETAILS.

Apparently he should hv printed a copy for his reference but “accidentally deleted” all his emails. Sohe wanted his client to help him dig out the email with our order details init. Is that how you do business? You rely on emails so much and you delete away client’s orders? If we didn’t remind him, he probably would hv happily kept ourdeposit and forgot abt our order entirely. Irritated and appalled at his lackof professionalism and slipshot work. And yes, he did not bother to call us to explain, and was waiting behind his computer for clients to feed him with the details!

Before we could reply, not surprisingly he sent another email which was based on his “memory” on what was agreed. We replied and highlighted the carat size was different from what we’ve agreed, which was the most impt detail. He then said okay and demanded us to fwd him his email quote to “avoid ambiguity”. Not forgetting to followup with another email to say “once i see the date on your reference email , i will be able to go into my computer's Recycle Bin to find it.”

WHAT? If you can find the email in your recycle bin, then why didn’t you bother to start looking from there? Instead of troubling your client and making all these so confusing and ugly. Annoyed, we replied that he shd be liable for any “ambiguity” that he may claim to have, since he was the one responsible to fulfil our order and lost the order details! We told him to proceed with the order.

Here comes the ultimatum.

He emailed to claim that he was sorry he made us upset and it would be best if “part ways here” by cancelling our order and returning our deposit. He ended with “We trust you will easily find another jeweller and your wedding is almost 6 months away.”

We applaud him for the audacity to blast this in our faces at this point in time. He forced us to take back our deposit and told us to go to another jeweller. Obviously he realised he wasn’t gonna earn much from us as compared to his rich taitai biz, hence hewas finding ways to shake us off! Come on, you call yourself the owner of your business if you don’t even know how to run it? We didn’t force a knife on his throat to give us that price, he quoted it and we accepted. Now that he took our deposit of >$1k for over 1 mth and decided to cancel on us?

We are distraught and confused. The time and enthusiasm we have put in to research, meet up with that guy on several occasions to discuss and agree on the items have all completely gone to waste. Our wedding may be 5 months away, but that gives him absolutely no right or reason to comment or suggest that we have ample time to look for another jeweller.

He has no valid reasons or position to reject or back out on our order. That is absurd and uncalled for.This is evident that he has no interest to follow through your deals to his clients.

We have wasted our time,effort and $ on this unworthy shop.

SO PLS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! Pls share this with everyone is looking to patronise. THE ENGAGEMENT RING SHOP” (@suntec twr 1 #04-01) is NOT WORTH YOUR TIME & MONEY!

jazzy85

Reaction score
wedding tweets free proposal ideas

if u all need proposal ideas, go check our weddingtweets.com.sg

alot of ideas...

anonym

Master Member
Reaction score

In that case if <10k is not worth it, then at what price point and what carat size ring is probably worth the money. A few k more is fine, but good to know exactly what is the agar agar range.

Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.