NUS ppl lip lai - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
You don't wanna work as a public sector economist right? Grad school not for you? You wish to work in banks next time? Finance career with a high income?

Then SMU biz is for you. If not biz then economics (if you can't get biz).

i chose not to do biz but econs. but the teaching system in SMU...if it ruins my GPA, then I can forget about all of the above =/

a thought just came into mind. can a NUS degree gives me job opportunities overseas? like Canary Wharf?

Agravaine

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i chose not to do biz but econs. but the teaching system in SMU...if it ruins my GPA, then I can forget about all of the above =/

a thought just came into mind. can a NUS degree gives me job opportunities overseas? like Canary Wharf?
London/NYC is gonna be hard. If you wanna go overseas, HK is a lot easier.

tehhalia

Master Member
Reaction score
dun follow in my footsteps.. will die horribly until no tomorrow.
really will become NMNHNLM one.

lol NMNHLM!

already one

its not even iron ricebowl anymore, many civil service jobs are just on a 1 year contract nowadays.

agree

yeah you are on your own. any documents depends on the company. for my first internship, nus career centre emailed me and asked me to fill in some long form and say that they would give me a certificate of participation for finding an 'internship through them'. i had actually found it myself, but being a noob i filled in the form. then they never reply me at all. 9 months later they email me ask me be their 'internship spokesman' at some career talk so i said 'okay, give me my cert first'. the person was like 'okay i'll get back to you'. and nobody got back to me, and till now, i still don't have the cert lol.

did you try to complain to them?
sound like that fooling around with you leh?

or you just cannot be bothered with them anymore?

if you happen to end up in NUS do note that applying via the general NUS career centre is a liability. Their webportal application is in such a pathetic mess that you will likely never hear from any of those that you sent. I have sent hundreds and 2 got back to me.

Find them yourself, do a good job, build your network, maintain a good relationship with your boss, get a recommendation letter before you leave. Keep in touch. When you are reaching your penultimate or final year the really prestigious firms do investigate your background and referrals and having those personal recommendations letter from the employer directly beats any kind of ****** up document you get from career centre (which I doubt you can get in the first place)

If you really end up in NUS econs I do not mind offering you some advice because it's hard to compete with the other universities in terms of career exposure and prep imo.

and during my former course's pre matriculation talk, there was a representative from NUS career center who advertise until like NUS career center will work out a perfect path for your career

well, after looking at these insightful posts
reality speaks louder

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quite easy to find job actually... went to internship interview yesterday and today they sent me offer already...

dskw

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dunno abt econs, but for compewting, if u did ur SEP at one at the nicer schools at CA, an internship is almost guaranteed :s13:

Last edited:

abc1987

Master Member
Reaction score
lol NMNHLM!

already one

agree

did you try to complain to them?
sound like that fooling around with you leh?

or you just cannot be bothered with them anymore?

and during my former course's pre matriculation talk, there was a representative from NUS career center who advertise until like NUS career center will work out a perfect path for your career

well, after looking at these insightful posts
reality speaks louder

can't be bothered to waste my time with them. anyway i found a job already.

carlogambino

Master Member
Reaction score
quite easy to find job actually... went to internship interview yesterday and today they sent me offer already...

It really depends on your job sector la.

I really don't mean to show-off or anything, but just to give the rest of the forum some "market reality", I applied for 10 law internships (ranging from international law firms like Clifford Chance to law minister K.Shanmugam's ex-law firm Allen & Gledhill to Davinder Singh's Drew & Napier) and all accepted. These are the biggest law firms in Singapore, not some random SMEs.

Undersupply of lawyers means that it is an employees' market out there. So I get to pick and choose. Not the firms. And to be honest, my grades aren't even that fantastic (only on dean's list and I don't even have an academic book prize to my name).

yoshi_fanboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I really don't mean to show-off or anything, but just to give the rest of the forum some "market reality", I applied for 10 law internships (ranging from international law firms like Clifford Chance to law minister K.Shanmugam's ex-law firm Allen & Gledhill to Davinder Singh's Drew & Napier) and all accepted. These are the biggest law firms in Singapore, not some random SMEs.

Undersupply of lawyers means that it is an employees' market out there. So I get to pick and choose. Not the firms. And to be honest, my grades aren't even that fantastic (only on dean's list and I don't even have an academic book prize to my name).

Hands up if you think that this sl*t deserves to get slapped.

Agravaine

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dude, you're erite rah. Will your peers with average results be able to get offers so easily?

tokiya

Banned
Reaction score

most wtf post i have read this week

Androidfroyo

Master Member
Reaction score

17899533.jpg

tehhalia

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello, anyone in NUS Project Facilities management?:s11:

i spent 1 sem in pfm, if you have basic questions maybe i can answer them for you :s12:

I really don't mean to show-off or anything,

And to be honest, my grades aren't even that fantastic (only on dean's list and I don't even have an academic book prize to my name).

that is contradictory.

but well you certainly deserve to choose the law firms you want given the effort you put into your work.

carlogambino

Master Member
Reaction score
Hands up if you think that this sl*t deserves to get slapped.

Dude, you're erite rah. Will your peers with average results be able to get offers so easily?

most wtf post i have read this week

Sigh. I knew this would be controversial. With respect, all that I was trying to do was to provide an empirical basis for advancing my argument that your choice of major/discipline that you specialize in is the predominant factor in determining your job opportunities, not market conditions, not your grades, not your CCAs, not your internships, and not your other "personality" factors.

You may choose to agree or disagree with me. What I was attempting to do was to provide an alternative analysis vis-à-vis other forumers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but abc suggested that as a general rule, market conditions determine job opportunities for all jobs (quote: "across majors"). To me, this may be an over-generalization in light of numerous exceptions where labour is perennially undersupplied.

Agravaine suggested that it is "the person and not the major" that determines job opportunities. But surely, for the average student who has little to distinguish himself from the rest, market conditions for specific jobs do matter insofar as their job opportunities are concerned?

At the end of the day (having repeated this over and over again), unless you are applying for a job that will accept any general degree, your job opportunities are strongly contingent on the specific market conditions of the particular field you are intending to enter into. Hence, the degree you choose to read is of critical importance.

Would I have the same opportunities if I had achieved identical grades in a finance degree or a life science degree? The answer is patently no. Not when you have so many candidates fighting for the same job. Not when the markets for those jobs are clearly saturated.

So, to those of you readers who opine that "your major doesn't matter" because "any degree will do", think twice.

Last edited:

carlogambino

Master Member
Reaction score
that is contradictory.

but well you certainly deserve to choose the law firms you want given the effort you put into your work.

Perhaps you might have misunderstood the context in which I was positing my argument.

I think it would be sapient to examine the following question: Why did the law firms accept my application?

Let me tell you the factors that did not influence their decision. They did not accept my application because of my grades. Not because of the fact that I am on the dean's list. Not because of my CCAs. Not because of my interview skills or my writing skills. Not because of any other "personality" factors that people would think are "relevant" to the procurement of jobs.

They accepted my application for the one and only one reason. And that reason is the massive undersupply of legally-trained individuals in the market.

They need legally-trained individuals badly. And they need them now. I so happen to be one such individual.

I rest my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.