To answer the SATA questions popping out everywhere.

b3ck5_07

Reaction score
so am i right to say that if i do a clean installation of windows, i enable AHCI mode in BIOS first, during installation, press F6 then load the drivers and it'll be fine?

The drivers(intel matrix storage ...) are they provided by the motherboard manufacturer? or are we supposed to make our own floppy?

baineteo

Reaction score
I think it's something like that. To run SATA as IDE, I believe certain mobo do not require additional drivers. However, to run as AHCI, I think you'll have to install the driver from a floppy (as described in your manual).

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the performance of the HDD bound by its RPM only? I thought SATA is slightly faster than PATA...

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please read from page1 until this page. This is the exact purpose of this thread, to answer question like yours. Instead the reading the answer, you ask the question again???

darkarn said:
Is the performance of the HDD bound by its RPM only? I thought SATA is slightly faster than PATA...

kalverty

Reaction score
Hello, noob got a question to ask.

Yesterday i went to Fuwell and got the Asus Sata DVD writer. When i went home i realised that they didn't even give me the cables needed for installation. I have a spare Sata cable but i am not really sure how does a Sata power cable looks like.

Does it look like the cable posted a few pages before this post? Anyway i got a pic here -
SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg

If this is the cable, i just have to connect this cable to my normal 4 hole power? Also i read that a lot of people are having troubles with their OS not being able to detect their drives. My current motherboard is Asus P5K SE and it comes with 4 Sata holes. 1 of them is already assigned to my HDD, just wondering if i can just connect my writer to any of the 4 holes on the motherboard?

Sorry about the noobness and thanks to anyone who can provide the help. Cheers :s12:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
kalverty said:
Hello, noob got a question to ask.

Yesterday i went to Fuwell and got the Asus Sata DVD writer. When i went home i realised that they didn't even give me the cables needed for installation. I have a spare Sata cable but i am not really sure how does a Sata power cable looks like.

Does it look like the cable posted a few pages before this post? Anyway i got a pic here -
SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg

If this is the cable, i just have to connect this cable to my normal 4 hole power? Also i read that a lot of people are having troubles with their OS not being able to detect their drives. My current motherboard is Asus P5K SE and it comes with 4 Sata holes. 1 of them is already assigned to my HDD, just wondering if i can just connect my writer to any of the 4 holes on the motherboard?

Sorry about the noobness and thanks to anyone who can provide the help. Cheers :s12:
-Yup thats the power adaptor for sata to the normal 4holes, just plug in will do.
-Any 4holes will do.

biosynthesis

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading the manual for Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R MOBO and have some questions regarding HDD.

1. It's mentioned that to detect SATA hdd before installation of Win XP, you need to enable AHCI or RAID? My question is can I don't enable both? Because I don't intend to buy a floppy disk drive on my new rig so I can't create those driver diskettes.

2. The mobo have ONE IDE controller. Does this means I can only connect 1 DVD-RW drive to it? Cuz I have seen those IDE cables with 2 sockets on ONE ribbon. Does this count as 1 IDE controller with TWO sockets?

3. If my DVD RW is a SATA drive as well, do I need to specify AHCI mode for it to be detected?

4. What is Native SATA mode??

Thanks to all who can help.

hhilo2002

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently i just added a new SATA II hard disk(Seagate) to my computer. The transfer rate to this new disk was extremely slow eg.1GB will take around 15mins.

I had 3 partition for this disk and all of them are set to primary partition. Is there any problem in doing so?

Do i have to enable anything for SATA II? Btw the original HD inside the com is also a SATA II(Seagate).

Anyway i can check to see if the problem is with the HD itself?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

lucifer2938

Reaction score
RE: Partitioning

I have a new HP system, and like to partition the HD (160G), PQ cannot do that. can you tell me how to d do that? thanks

Well if you do have an empty partition available in your drive, all you need to do is to go to
Right click My Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management>> Click onto the empty partition and follow the instructions given by Windows to create a working partition through formatting

If you do not have empty partition available, then you can do it through software, called Ramesh Partition Manager, which you can download at www.download.com or you will need Partition Magic to do it.

Please very cautious using the above software stated, specially when you are dragging with your mouse. It may cause your HDD/OS to crash if you do not know wha you are doing with it.

Have fun exploring and sharing tips here!!

eurofunk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just a question i have after using sata all these while, u guys really get 3gb/sec of transfers between 2 hdds in a same system? e.g like try cutting and pasting 30gbs of files from C:/ to D:/ or somethin, see if u really just take under 1 min to transfer?

Jimmy744

Reaction score
Does anyone know which shops sell sata-ide converters?
What is the price? (I believe it could be around SGD20.)

Thanks in advance.

gameent81

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro, it is not lighted when power is switched on. Don't know if the adapter is faulty or the harddisk has died. Anyone knows where I can purchase a new adapter? Been asking around in Sim Lim and Funan, apparently nobody can help.

Anyone knows where I can sent in to recover my data? Thanks.

7urfer

Reaction score
will i lost my data on current drive if i wanna setup raid 1?

caviar green empty drive and caviar black main drive right now

my rig:
western digital caviar black & green both 1tb
gigabyte EP45 UD3P

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which shops sell sata-ide converters?
What is the price? (I believe it could be around SGD20.)

Thanks in advance.

bought one from UniCell #02-01 Sim Lim, about $9.

Last edited:

amycompton

Reaction score
I think it's something like that. To run SATA as IDE, I believe certain mobo do not require additional drivers. However, to run as AHCI, I think you'll have to install the driver from a floppy .

vchee

Reaction score
Sata3 for sata1 interface

Hi,

Want to get an internal hdd for my old mobo which only has sata1. Currently most shops only sell sata3 hdd. sata3 hdd will be compatible except it will run at sata1 speed? correct?

BTW, any good 5yrs warranty 7200 rpm hdd to recommend? Looking at seagate and WS.

Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.