Went for my SMU economics interview today

A New Guy

Banned
Reaction score
The interviewer asked a question to all 8 of us, if you have a cup with 1 white ball and 2 black balls, and it is a competition. Person who picks the white ball wins. Would you go first or go second?

The rest all give very cock reason like i will share the winnings etc etc
I tried to be different from the rest and I answered "it dosent matter which, same chance of winning." when the interviewer asked why, i tell him gut feeling LOL. After i explain becase it dosent matter what colour ball the first person got, because there is only 1 white ball in total. After that i worked out the probability in front of everyone.

SAKTI a not??! Got chance they will accept me?

I did screw up the front part because i volunteered to go first and describe myself. Got nothing to say

Bonadaly

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are right.

This is a variation of the monty python puzzle. It doesn't matter which one you choose, it is still 33.3% chance of getting the right ball.

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go 2nd then your probability becomes half as opposed to 1/3 should you go first

gallagher

Banned
Reaction score
Go 2nd then your probability becomes half as opposed to 1/3 should you go first

all luck, if the bugger infront super lucky means ts lost liao~

if me i jitao say i will not take part in this competition cause its dumb, life is not about luck competition, its about your own capabilities

like that answer more satki

this kind then is considered google/microsoft employee material

think out of the box :o

pple ask do go competition then u go ah, maciam robot, even if its a dumb luck competition, bo eng

Last edited:

dhhpdhhp

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ts forgots to point out, once the white ball is picked at a particular turn, subsequent turns = zero probability for the rest

fascist

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are right.

This is a variation of the monty python puzzle. It doesn't matter which one you choose, it is still 33.3% chance of getting the right ball.
Never heard of "monty python" problem leh. Care to elaborate?

Mythbusterman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The interviewer asked a question to all 8 of us, if you have a cup with 1 white ball and 2 black balls, and it is a competition. Person who picks the white ball wins. Would you go first or go second?

The rest all give very cock reason like i will share the winnings etc etc
I tried to be different from the rest and I answered "it dosent matter which, same chance of winning." when the interviewer asked why, i tell him gut feeling LOL. After i explain becase it dosent matter what colour ball the first person got, because there is only 1 white ball in total. After that i worked out the probability in front of everyone.

SAKTI a not??! Got chance they will accept me?

I did screw up the front part because i volunteered to go first and describe myself. Got nothing to say
wa lao... who also know any order also same chance... :s22: sec 2 question

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.