Went for my SMU economics interview today

LokiTay

Reaction score
ya i got it...

but provided when they open the cup to reveal the ball also need to be taken into consideration leh

1st to take sure 1/3 chance
2nd to take, is 50% chance provided 1st open and reveal wad ball he took
3rd to take, is 1/3 chance provided non of the balls are revealed yet

If they jus pick and dun reveal, then i think no point asking the question right? LOL

gallagher

Banned
Reaction score
is not dont reveal, its when do they reveal

you can take one and open immediately, or wait for 3 to take their pick then open altogether

gallagher

Banned
Reaction score
no right or wrong la chill bros

basically the interviewer just want to know how u analyse things

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not using any calculations. i said i am basing on logic. My logic is wrong? then please tell me ur chimalogy.

lol going 2nd isnt better than going 1st....

u r assuming that by goin 2nd, the 1st guy picks a black ball

LokiTay

Reaction score
is not dont reveal, its when do they reveal

you can take one and open immediately, or wait for 3 to take their pick then open altogether

Even if you don't reveal, the logic stands.

1st pick - you have 3 to decide
2nd pick - you have 2 to decide
3rd pick - Don't need to decide

LokiTay

Reaction score
lol going 2nd isnt better than going 1st....

u r assuming that by goin 2nd, the 1st guy picks a black ball

I'm not assuming that he picks a black ball -_-" How can you say i assume he pick a black ball when i use %?

1st pick = 33.3% chance to pick the white ball but 66.6% chance to pick the black ball.

2nd Pick = 66.6% chance that 1st guy fail. Then you have a 50% chance of picking the white ball.

OMG. why am i repeating the same thjing over and over again ffs.

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not assuming that he picks a black ball -_-" How can you say i assume he pick a black ball when i use %?

1st pick = 33.3% chance to pick the white ball but 66.6% chance to pick the black ball.

2nd Pick = 66.6% chance that 1st guy fail. Then you have a 50% chance of picking the white ball.

OMG. why am i repeating the same thjing over and over again ffs.

yep this is correct

but i dun understand y u then say that going 2nd is better ?

gallagher

Banned
Reaction score
so in fact no one is in a better position. i could have by luck picked the black 1 , or by chance picked the white 1

the 3rd one could have done nothing all this while and handed a white ball upon revealing the cup

codexboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sama sama

U go 1st probability of win one third chance

U go 2nd
If first person get white, chance of u win 0
If first ball black, chance of this happening two third, followed by u draw white, probability .5, overall is still one third

Yueming

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You really cannot understand, its ok. The fact that the SMU interview says nothing about going third speaks for itself?

LOL.

Anyway putting caculations aside. Just going by pure logic.

You pick first. Out of 3 Balls, you pick one. 33.3% chance to get the white ball

You pick second. You forgo the first 33.3% chance to pick. Which means you have a 66.6% chance that he will fail. And then out of 2 balls remain, you have a 50% chance of getting the white ball.

You pick Last. Your % is the same as the First. Bcos like how the first have 3 balls to choose, you have the last ball given to you. 33.3%

why you never use the same concept you applied for the 2nd on the last?

no consistency ???

LokiTay

Reaction score
so in fact no one is in a better position. i could have by luck picked the black 1 , or by chance picked the white 1

the 3rd one could have done nothing all this while and handed a white ball upon revealing the cup

-_-" not again.

Vodkilla

Reaction score
even tho its the same probability, it is still better to be the first to pick.

blackestvoid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the ans depends on how the pick is conducted
whether everyone will get a pick and result revealed only after everyone picked or each pick is revealed immediately such that if the 1st person wins the others no need to pick

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.