NTU ppl lip lai! - Part 1

mankee

hey, any seniors who got 3.99 for gpa? did they manage to ask school to give chance to pull up to 2nd upper?

lonestar86

hey, any seniors who got 3.99 for gpa? did they manage to ask school to give chance to pull up to 2nd upper?

there is a really big difference between 2nd upper and lower.
so if my cgpa was 3.99, i will beg for that 0.01.

:s13::s13: i oso wan know that.. my gpa now 4.49

congrats! chiong for 1st class! anw, 1st class and 2nd upper are grp in a cluster. so there is nothing to worry about. but since u r so closed to 1st class, might as well go for it. all the best!

davidclever

Hi everyone,
I really enjoy reading this thread. It increases my knowledge of NTU before I even set my foot into it. Well I have some burning questions to ask all of you seniors and fellow school mates to be.
Firstly I will be enrolling into NTU computer science course in August this year. I am a JC student previously and I love math alot. I have abit of programming knowledge (Java/VB) that i learnt while serving NS. However, I heard from many that computer science is a difficult course to be in especially since there are tons of foreigners and poly students who are way ahead in computing. Is this true???
Next I have a fear of not being able to get into hostel in year two and so forth as I lived in Pasir Ris. I am afraid that the long travelling distance would cause me to become exhausted and inattentive during lectures which may eventually affect my result. Hence is there any tips on how to get into a hostel. I have read about the rec list and so on. Any trick on how to get into the list???

Caulibeam

Hi everyone,
I really enjoy reading this thread. It increases my knowledge of NTU before I even set my foot into it. Well I have some burning questions to ask all of you seniors and fellow school mates to be.
Firstly I will be enrolling into NTU computer science course in August this year. I am a JC student previously and I love math alot. I have abit of programming knowledge (Java/VB) that i learnt while serving NS. However, I heard from many that computer science is a difficult course to be in especially since there are tons of foreigners and poly students who are way ahead in computing. Is this true???
Next I have a fear of not being able to get into hostel in year two and so forth as I lived in Pasir Ris. I am afraid that the long travelling distance would cause me to become exhausted and inattentive during lectures which may eventually affect my result. Hence is there any tips on how to get into a hostel. I have read about the rec list and so on. Any trick on how to get into the list???

got a lot of ah neh in com sci. :o

hall wise you either can choose the jcrc route or the cca route.. CCA route is basically to get into the main comm of some high tier cca.. for rec list really is abt making yourself indisposable to the hall. If you got good sports background its quite a plus iirc

I went the cca route. joined a tier 1 cca as main comm and stuck myself to hall for 3 years :o

davidclever

Alot of Ah neh? Oh god. I am not holding any prejudice against indians here but based on past experience, I think I have trouble communicating with them. Oh so by joining the main comn in tier 1 club, you can get access to rec list? Do you stay in the same hostel as the you did the previous year? What are tier 1 clubs? Do they changed each year?

Caulibeam

Alot of Ah neh? Oh god. I am not holding any prejudice against indians here but based on past experience, I think I have trouble communicating with them. Oh so by joining the main comn in tier 1 club, you can get access to rec list? Do you stay in the same hostel as the you did the previous year? What are tier 1 clubs? Do they changed each year?

nope nope.. with CCA its all abt the points... for main comm of tier 1 is 9 pts. plus ur pasir ris 7 pts total abt 16 points, should be able to get you a hall very easily. If you're ok with staying with foreigner in a double room.. you could find a cca with positions giving u 7 points.. should be sufficient from what I see now.

i stayed hall 16 all my ntu life :o

as for tiered clubs, they are accessed i think once every 2-3 years.. this year they're doing it.

Caulibeam

rec list is a special exception where you can apply for hall and get it even if you are very low on points.

pekipom

nope nope.. with CCA its all abt the points... for main comm of tier 1 is 9 pts. plus ur pasir ris 7 pts total abt 16 points, should be able to get you a hall very easily. If you're ok with staying with foreigner in a double room.. you could find a cca with positions giving u 7 points.. should be sufficient from what I see now.

i stayed hall 16 all my ntu life :o

as for tiered clubs, they are accessed i think once every 2-3 years.. this year they're doing it.

hi if you mind sharing, what cca are you in? main comm means like president that kind of thing right?

I would prefer to stay in hall for all 4 years of my NTU life but don't really want to get too involved in CCA... reason being that I'm in chem engi and heard it's a really demanding course so I can't afford to blow it. (matriculating this year)

if you got any other lobang like outside nearby room rental/hostel etc it would be really helpful. thx!

pekipom

oh ya one more question for seniors.. I got accepted into chem engi w/ business minor. terrible for me to be so indecisive but I'm afraid the extra modules might overwork me. should I just take the minor to add to my AUs (not too sure about this) or appeal to drop to regular chem engi?

Caulibeam

hi if you mind sharing, what cca are you in? main comm means like president that kind of thing right?

I would prefer to stay in hall for all 4 years of my NTU life but don't really want to get too involved in CCA... reason being that I'm in chem engi and heard it's a really demanding course so I can't afford to blow it. (matriculating this year)

if you got any other lobang like outside nearby room rental/hostel etc it would be really helpful. thx!

ehh.. yep.. committee positions.. moi already semi retired from earthlink liao. :s34:

FrostWurm

oh ya one more question for seniors.. I got accepted into chem engi w/ business minor. terrible for me to be so indecisive but I'm afraid the extra modules might overwork me. should I just take the minor to add to my AUs (not too sure about this) or appeal to drop to regular chem engi?

just try first la, if don't like then s/u and forget about it. btw, you can clear some of the biz modules overseas too.

lonestar86

to all graduating class of 2012, it's time to vote for ur sch's Valedictorian! check email for more details. vote wisely.

all 4 candidates are guys for my sch. if only my sch has someone like trinetta chong who fugging did it. :s13:

This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.