Where to tailor clothes =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiton12345

Reaction score
Hi there, sorry to barge in. I'm thinking to tailor a slim fit 2 piece suite for my business wear. I just come back from Japan and saw the people wear very nice navy blue and grey ones. Was thinking of getting one with a good cutting. I'm wondering how much and how long does it cost tailor one?

A decent fully canvassed suit should set you back about 1.2k with entry level fabrics depending on your size.

A fused suit could set you anywhere from 500-800 with decent fabric. Not sure about the amount of hand details you'll get from one at this price range though.

The time frame you are looking at can range anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how busy you tailor is and how many fittings your tailor provides you.

Amplif1er

Reaction score
I will be starting my first job soon and I am looking to build a basic work wardrobe. Looking to tailor like 5 shirts and 2 pants.

Anyone can recommend me which place offers budget yet quality tailors for me to start my first set?

Thank you!

arctuates

Reaction score
Most of the world’s shirtings, use cotton that is grown in Eqypt or the Sudan - generally considered a higher grade cotton than the American grown Pima cotton.

How true is this statement given the proliferation of cotton mills in India and China?

ThatShirtShop

Reaction score
How true is this statement given the proliferation of cotton mills in India and China?

The short answer to this question is that both India and China produced cottons.

However, Egyptian cotton comes from Egypt and the Sudan region.

This Wikipedia article tells a pretty decent story of the difference between the various cottons. But a key point to add on to the article, is that the quality of the various cottons produced in difference areas varies, due to climate and strain.

Gossypium barbadense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

arctuates

Reaction score
Oh, no no. My question isn't the quality, I know that it differs region to region.

I'm just curious about your statement that "most of the world's shirtings use cotton that is grown in Eqypt or the Sudan". For instance, as I understand it, the phrase "Egyptian cotton" has been much abused by salespeople and in many cases doesn't actually refer to cotton that's been milled in Egypt. Moreover, given the fact that cotton mills have burgeoned in other regions where labor and landspace is cheaper (hence the India/China examples), I can't help but question whether "Egyptian cotton" occupies a place of preeminence in shirting use any more.

ThatShirtShop

Reaction score
Oh, no no. My question isn't the quality, I know that it differs region to region.

I'm just curious about your statement that "most of the world's shirtings use cotton that is grown in Eqypt or the Sudan". For instance, as I understand it, the phrase "Egyptian cotton" has been much abused by salespeople and in many cases doesn't actually refer to cotton that's been milled in Egypt. Moreover, given the fact that cotton mills have burgeoned in other regions where labor and landspace is cheaper (hence the India/China examples), I can't help but question whether "Egyptian cotton" occupies a place of preeminence in shirting use any more.

Check this link out. World cotton exports top 5 bales

Perhaps that phrase is a little outdated. =) The link shows Africa was no.2 exporter in the world as of 2009. I guess time have change quite a fair bit by now. =)

Agree that India and China are major producers of cotton. On the misrepresentation of the materials, it is hard for people outside the industry to understand.

Hence, it is important to always talk and discuss with your tailor regarding the material that you want to use.

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A decent fully canvassed suit should set you back about 1.2k with entry level fabrics depending on your size.

A fused suit could set you anywhere from 500-800 with decent fabric. Not sure about the amount of hand details you'll get from one at this price range though.

The time frame you are looking at can range anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how busy you tailor is and how many fittings your tailor provides you.

What's the difference between the 2?

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check this link out. World cotton exports top 5 bales

Perhaps that phrase is a little outdated. =) The link shows Africa was no.2 exporter in the world as of 2009. I guess time have change quite a fair bit by now. =)

Agree that India and China are major producers of cotton. On the misrepresentation of the materials, it is hard for people outside the industry to understand.

Hence, it is important to always talk and discuss with your tailor regarding the material that you want to use.

I thought there are some cotton made in Italy?

Kiton12345

Reaction score
What's the difference between the 2?

A fused suit in layman terms is a glued suit. The chest and lapels have interlinings within them that are glued onto the fabric to maintain the shape.

A canvassed suit on the other hand utilizes wool/cotton/horse hair/camel hair which is then stitched onto the lapels and chest to give the jacket shape.

Fused suits are stiffer and do not drape as well as canvassed suits. The canvass provides the suit which much more support, lets the lapel roll better and over time will conform to the shape of your body.

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score
A fused suit in layman terms is a glued suit. The chest and lapels have interlinings within them that are glued onto the fabric to maintain the shape.

A canvassed suit on the other hand utilizes wool/cotton/horse hair/camel hair which is then stitched onto the lapels and chest to give the jacket shape.

Fused suits are stiffer and do not drape as well as canvassed suits. The canvass provides the suit which much more support, lets the lapel roll better and over time will conform to the shape of your body.

Not many tailors in SG will be able to provide canvassed suit nowadays, as it is depends highly on the skill of the tailor. Anyone knows which tailor still able to do this in SG?

legendness

Reaction score
Bros, can recommend a tailor that helps make shirts for smart casual wear? I can't seem to find nice casual designs at the tailors I frequent for office wear... Thanks!

I used to tailor at oxford tailors but been switching to Raphael Gabriel (Raphael Gabriel :: Tailor Made Shirts For Men (Singapore)) after a colleague of mine brought me there.. I find that its more reasonably priced for same or better quality finishing.

ThatShirtShop

Reaction score
Feedbacks That Shirt Shop

Hi, was wondering whether have any of you all have tried the shirts from That Shirt Shop, and how does it matched up to the other tailors?

Horiv3

Master Member
Reaction score
Got a question here regarding the wearing of singlet under shirt.
Is it advisable to wear it? Main purpose is to absorb sweat so there won't be any sweat patches on the shirt right?

ramlee

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Got a question here regarding the wearing of singlet under shirt.
Is it advisable to wear it? Main purpose is to absorb sweat so there won't be any sweat patches on the shirt right?

if the purpose is to absorb sweat then it's better to wear undershirt with sleeve otherwise, armpit will have a patch of sweat, very unslightly :(

rbth x 0408

Reaction score
just did a shirt at raphael gabriel
did the 89 range but add details till about 104 or 105 cant remember
there's 2 guys there (think 1's anson)
very helpful and slowly explain to me their range which i have to say is really wide

comparing my 75 eygptian from newcastle and the 89 from rg
really like the rg's feel more will upload picture if ppl here interested(very lazy=s)

Kiton12345

Reaction score
just did a shirt at raphael gabriel
did the 89 range but add details till about 104 or 105 cant remember
there's 2 guys there (think 1's anson)
very helpful and slowly explain to me their range which i have to say is really wide

comparing my 75 eygptian from newcastle and the 89 from rg
really like the rg's feel more will upload picture if ppl here interested(very lazy=s)

Would appreciate pictures. I do want to see the amount of hand work.

hst201

Reaction score
Would appreciate pictures. I do want to see the amount of hand work.

I don't think there are any handwork at these prices. Bespoke shirts with some amt of handwork start around €200 in Europe.

Last edited:

Kiton12345

Reaction score
I don't think there are any handwork at these prices. Bespoke shirts with some amt of handwork start around €200

Ahh I see. I guess I was expecting a bit too much. I do wish some travelling tailors came to Singapore.

It's not smart for my wallet to fly over to Naples :s13:.

hst201

Reaction score
In any case, I haven't seen any handwork in tailored shirts in Singapore, including some popular names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.