M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION / NETWORKING SETUP / INFO / PROMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siyu

Reaction score
just called my singtel 10mbps

got offered the SGD 23+ for 10mbps for 12 months. No phone rebate. phone bill is around 27+ for 3 months. so works out to be 32.16

between M1 100mbps @ 39 with free phone line (anyone verify if there's free phone line), one time installation of SGD 58. i think i want to try M1

got to buy new router, USB receiver for wifi, else pull a super long cable to the room.

what do you guys think?

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
I think if you're not a hardcore BT fan, then M1 !00Mbps is not too bad. Free fixed voice unless you live in areas like Ang Mo Kio, Yishun, Sembawang, Bedok, Orchard, which required rental of RG at $2/mth which is reasonable anyway.

Last edited:

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think if you're not a hardcore BT fan, then M1 !00Mbps is not too bad. Free fixed voice unless you live in areas like Ang Mo Kio, Yishun, Sembawang, Bedok, Orchard, which required rental of RG at $2/mth which is reasonable anyway.

why are these areas affected?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
upload and d/l utube count a not

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
upload and d/l utube count a not

Youtube is not P2P leh, according to M1 FAQ on Does M1 practise any network management activities?, it stated "a subscriber who surfs, emails or watches video streaming will not be affected by the traffic shaping policy which is primarily targeted at containing P2P subscribers from over utilizing the network with their exponential consumption." Hence you should know what to do if M1 throttle beyond what it say it did!

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
M1 Technician came just now and fixed up the black ONT unit.. in less than 20 minutes, he has connected up the router and ran speed up to 95Mbit down and 75 Mbit up..except for wireless, it was 20 mbit down and 23 mbit up.. think will need to tweak the router to get better wireless speed. Router is Asus N56U with 1.0.1.8b firmware. Is flashing to 1.0.1.8e will improve the wireless speed?

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do premium accounts like RS count towards P2P? Anyone on M1 fibre can comment if it's throttled as well?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
either FREE or $2.+/mth depend on ur area..

just called my singtel 10mbps

got offered the SGD 23+ for 10mbps for 12 months. No phone rebate. phone bill is around 27+ for 3 months. so works out to be 32.16

between M1 100mbps @ 39 with free phone line (anyone verify if there's free phone line), one time installation of SGD 58. i think i want to try M1

got to buy new router, USB receiver for wifi, else pull a super long cable to the room.

what do you guys think?

Siyu

Reaction score
Youtube is not P2P leh, according to M1 FAQ on Does M1 practise any network management activities?, it stated "a subscriber who surfs, emails or watches video streaming will not be affected by the traffic shaping policy which is primarily targeted at containing P2P subscribers from over utilizing the network with their exponential consumption." Hence you should know what to do if M1 throttle beyond what it say it did!

What about watching movies on funshion and xunlei, pplive, letv, baidu player this type?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
LOL
actually i more worry is
upload, download from steam site (e.g youtube), gaming.. i dont p2p much for once a while but speed cannot be WORST than a normal bb ba??

although what we pay is cheap but SERVICE must up to standard too. :p

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
Haha, no idea exactly what is the reason, just that these area are not ready and thus gotta use the white Nucleus Connect modem which is not able to support voice service.

Its still progressively rolling out to this affected area, so gotta be patience till the entire SG is covered.

According to AhWise's (M1 staff) previous announcement and the post one page back, some areas are provisioned with the White Nucleus Connect ONT, fixed voice is not able to provision from the ONT as the design wasn't built for voice at that time.

As to why those areas are affected. I don't know the real reason, will leave it to AhWise to answer :D

Daniel.Winn

Reaction score
Hi Daniel,

Let me answer your questions for you. Few errors yeah?

ONT is just a wired modem. It is not wireless. There is only 1 LAN port for 1 connection only. If you need to have multiple connection, you need to connect to a wireless router. Setup would be TP > ONT > Phone Line + Wireless Router. Since they checked for you, your phone line is connected via the ONT directly. ONT installation only certain promo can waived, i will pm you the details.

1. Wrong. As per above.
2. You need wireless or multiple connection, you need a wireless router.
3. Whats MBP? Wireless connection will drop 40-60% of your connection speed depending the kind of wireless router you use & type of security.
4. I think refer to point 3?
5. Yes its plug and play from the ONT. ONT output is just a normal RJ45 (Ethernet LAN cable only).

Get a good router, can cover most area.

Cheers!
Alvin

Thanks, Alvin for answering my questions and offers via PM. Blame me for my habit that if I want something, I just go and grab it. I applied at IMM.
Promo
100Mbps + mData Value (5GB data/month, No USB Stick) + one year free rental of 1Box for 24mths contract @ $45 nett

mData is very useful for me. I grabbed the new iPad after signup. Yet to test 1Box though. The sales guy doesn't seem to know how 1Box works. He kept saying I need SmartTV. But, according to what I read so far, it works like normal HD Player. He was cheekily smiling cuz I took 1Box without SMART TV. For me, since it's free, why don't I try to see whether it works with my LED TV. mData alone save me $400 if I get extra SIM to use iPad. That's why I didn't buy iPad. Even I share data plan with multi-SIM will cost me $200+. Anyway, I'm quite happy with what I purchased. I signed up last Saturday and OpenNet will come and fix on 07 May 2012 followed up by 09 May 2012 for ONT installation.

Ohh.. Forgot to give more info. I bought Linksys E1200 from M1 for $50+ (can't remember exactly). E4200 at $189 but, I chose to get E1200. It's N-router. My old WRT54G isn't up to my 100Mbps speed already. It served me 3 good years.

Sorry, Alvin. But, reckon if the fibre service satisfied me 90%, I'll recommend my friends to you since I have your number.

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
Thanks, Alvin for answering my questions and offers via PM. Blame me for my habit that if I want something, I just go and grab it. I applied at IMM.
Promo
100Mbps + mData Value (5GB data/month, No USB Stick) + one year free rental of 1Box for 24mths contract @ $45 nett

mData is very useful for me. I grabbed the new iPad after signup. Yet to test 1Box though. The sales guy doesn't seem to know how 1Box works. He kept saying I need SmartTV. But, according to what I read so far, it works like normal HD Player. He was cheekily smiling cuz I took 1Box without SMART TV. For me, since it's free, why don't I try to see whether it works with my LED TV. mData alone save me $400 if I get extra SIM to use iPad. That's why I didn't buy iPad. Even I share data plan with multi-SIM will cost me $200+. Anyway, I'm quite happy with what I purchased. I signed up last Saturday and OpenNet will come and fix on 07 May 2012 followed up by 09 May 2012 for ONT installation.

Ohh.. Forgot to give more info. I bought Linksys E1200 from M1 for $50+ (can't remember exactly). E4200 at $189 but, I chose to get E1200. It's N-router. My old WRT54G isn't up to my 100Mbps speed already. It served me 3 good years.

Sorry, Alvin. But, reckon if the fibre service satisfied me 90%, I'll recommend my friends to you since I have your number.

1Box is like a media player, need to connect to any TV has has HDMI. No need to be a SMART TV. And yes, E1200 is selling at $52 ;)

Thanks in advance should you recommend friends to me yeah? By the way, can I double check did you pay for the SIM card & Registration as well?

Cheers!
Alvin

Daniel.Winn

Reaction score
1Box is like a media player, need to connect to any TV has has HDMI. No need to be a SMART TV. And yes, E1200 is selling at $52 ;)

Thanks in advance should you recommend friends to me yeah? By the way, can I double check did you pay for the SIM card & Registration as well?

Cheers!
Alvin

No need. The only thing I paid for is for router only. I asked him to tell me any hidden charges before I signed up. He explained everything including termination charges/transfer changes but, didn't say anything about SIM Card & Registration. Hope don't give me a bill-shocked.
But, if customers opt to buy dongle, it cost $89.

Anyway, I just called M1(1627) to help me exchange router. CSO agreed to do so. I asked the sales person on Saturday what's the difference between these 2 models. He couldn't explain much to me. I explained the problems I'm facing currently and he said it should be fine. So, I chose E1200 without knowing it's single band. I'm not sure it matters but, I don't feel right. when I pay so much to install TP and ONT, what's the point of I'm buying cheap router if I keep getting the connection drop issue? I don't know any technical terms but, I need more range to surf from extended room. As non-techie person, I'll rather use more range router than depending on single band to pray not to get connection dropped.

That 1Box thing also! I asked him several times how it works. He just kept saying I need SMART TV and all contents are chargeable. What I want to know is whether it works as HD media player. He didn't seem to know.

And, one more thing I wasn't too pleased. I thought of buying iPad only on Sunday. At first, I tried to find at J.Point and all sold out. And, I knew that M1 IMM had stocks. So, I went there to buy by informing that I signed up yesterday but, only today we decided to buy. The info counter just told me off that if I bought yesterday, they would have sold iPad to me. But, today, they can't sell cuz they simply want to sell for others who sign up for new plan. I was like "WTF was that?" I know it makes business sense. But, in so many M1 shops in Singapore, can't you just sell me one? Then, replenish the stocks via other outlets? Anyway, it's just too much whining already. I know what I want and I get it. Be it loh. Just want to share my experience to you all.

In this experience, I need to keep asking loads of questions to get information which is quite frustrating to me. Even then, I still chose wrong one. Other than that, I prefer M1 offer than others.

Product Quality? Yet to see!!!

Last edited:

AhWise

Reaction score
E1200 & E4200 main difference

1) E4200 dualband (2.4Ghz & 5 Ghz)
2) E1200 has 2 built in antenna, E4200 6 built in antenna
3) E4200 support Gigabit port
4) USB port for printer/harddisk/etc

By the way, E4200 cost $199. As for ipad stuffs, i do not carry ipad at my roadshows & thus, you may want to check 1627 if you can purchase there?

No need. The only thing I paid for is for router only. I asked him to tell me any hidden charges before I signed up. He explained everything including termination charges/transfer changes but, didn't say anything about SIM Card & Registration. Hope don't give me a bill-shocked.
But, if customers opt to buy dongle, it cost $89.

Anyway, I just called M1(1627) to help me exchange router. CSO agreed to do so. I asked the sales person on Saturday what's the difference between these 2 models. He couldn't explain much to me. I explained the problems I'm facing currently and he said it should be fine. So, I chose E1200 without knowing it's single band. I'm not sure it matters but, I don't feel right. when I pay so much to install TP and ONT, what's the point of I'm buying cheap router if I keep getting the connection drop issue? I don't know any technical terms but, I need more range to surf from extended room. As non-techie person, I'll rather use more range router than depending on single band to pray not to get connection dropped.

That 1Box thing also! I asked him several times how it works. He just kept saying I need SMART TV and all contents are chargeable. What I want to know is whether it works as HD media player. He didn't seem to know.

And, one more thing I wasn't too pleased. I thought of buying iPad only on Sunday. At first, I tried to find at J.Point and all sold out. And, I knew that M1 IMM had stocks. So, I went there to buy by informing that I signed up yesterday but, only today we decided to buy. The info counter just told me off that if I bought yesterday, they would have sold iPad to me. But, today, they can't sell cuz they simply want to sell for others who sign up for new plan. I was like "WTF was that?" I know it makes business sense. But, in so many M1 shops in Singapore, can't you just sell me one? Then, replenish the stocks via other outlets? Anyway, it's just too much whining already. I know what I want and I get it. Be it loh. Just want to share my experience to you all.

In this experience, I need to keep asking loads of questions to get information which is quite frustrating to me. Even then, I still chose wrong one. Other than that, I prefer M1 offer than others.

Product Quality? Yet to see!!!

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
LOL
actually i more worry is
upload, download from steam site (e.g youtube), gaming.. i dont p2p much for once a while but speed cannot be WORST than a normal bb ba??

although what we pay is cheap but SERVICE must up to standard too. :p

Yes I agreed with you totally, esp. the highlighted part :D it's cheap but certainly not "peanut" as some people put it and definitely deserve a certain service standard. That why I said "Hence you should know what to do if M1 throttle beyond what it say it did!".

Siyu

Reaction score
just called singtel.. cannot decide.

between M1 100mbps @ 39 with free phone line (anyone verify if there's free phone line), one time installation of SGD 58. i think i want to try M1 but the TORRENT Sucks

got to buy new router, USB receiver for wifi, else pull a super long cable to the room. (what is the cheapest way on hardware to get the 100 mbps)

what do you guys think?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i also tot of sign up m1 but look at the complaint..
dc, speed such .. wah liao. worst than bb le

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i also tot of sign up m1 but look at the complaint..
dc, speed such .. wah liao. worst than bb le

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.