NUS SCIENCE(STATISTICS)

blurkingz

Reaction score
hello guys, could any seniors who taken this course share more about this course? Jobs prospects, difficulty, university life and culture, how hard to get to honours year? I enjoy doing maths but not sure if i could excel in this field of discipline.... Hope any seniors out there could share more! Thanks!

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Paging for Frankiefool~

Anyway, year 1 going year 2 stats student here (assuming my application to certain major fail). not tht sure about job prospect, i opted for statistics cos i wan to be an actuarial (and NTU dun wan me) so i did not really research into other fields. but i think i read somwhere tht u can be an auditor. You can also venture into the banking and finance sector, but from wat i heard from frankiefool, it is not easy to get an internship there as they onli pick the best.

difficulty wise, it really depends on individual. if u are aiming for first class, hard work is definitely needed, as so far for me, all the core mod (mainly math for first year) have very stiff competition as nearly half of the students in the mod are PRC and their math is really zai.

and for university life and culture, it is somehow link to the previous point... unless u r really talented in math or ur hobby is reading math tht are way beyond A'lvl (i know atleast one guy who is like tht), a fulfilling university life and excellent grade generally does not co-exists

Raichu29125

Reaction score
Paging for Frankiefool~

Anyway, year 1 going year 2 stats student here (assuming my application to certain major fail). not tht sure about job prospect, i opted for statistics cos i wan to be an actuarial (and NTU dun wan me) so i did not really research into other fields. but i think i read somwhere tht u can be an auditor. You can also venture into the banking and finance sector, but from wat i heard from frankiefool, it is not easy to get an internship there as they onli pick the best.

difficulty wise, it really depends on individual. if u are aiming for first class, hard work is definitely needed, as so far for me, all the core mod (mainly math for first year) have very stiff competition as nearly half of the students in the mod are PRC and their math is really zai.

and for university life and culture, it is somehow link to the previous point... unless u r really talented in math or ur hobby is reading math tht are way beyond A'lvl (i know atleast one guy who is like tht), a fulfilling university life and excellent grade generally does not co-exists

Quantitative Finance right?

Saw your CAP score already, shouldn't be much of a problem. But as I noticed this batch of intake, the competition is super tough.

Last edited:

blurkingz

Reaction score
hey thanks for the detailed explanations..... i still have some queries. So when we matriculate into the first year, we can declare any majors that we are interested and nt restricted by any quote set per major right? And what gpa must we maintain to get to honours year? And must you be really smart to get good results? (as far as i feel, i am those abit hardworking type and enjoy doing maths) Thanks!

Raichu29125

Reaction score
Under the Faculty of Science, you could declare any major you want. In the module bidding excercise, you're therefore given the priority to bid for the module in the earlier rounds. However, some module restrictions apply.

In NUS, we call it CAP, not GPA. Theoretically, you need at least a 3.50 (ie. 2nd-Lower Classification).

Smart to get good results? Constant preparation is key, and the leap from A Level Math to University Math (unless you took H3 Maths before) is huge. Be mentally prepared, especially if you're a Stats student, and you'll need to compete with Math majors (and the people up North) for grades.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quantitative Finance right?

Saw your CAP score already, shouldn't be much of a problem. But as I noticed this batch of intake, the competition is super tough.

i did badly for this sem.. particularly ma2108... sld have got into QF first then take it... :( but luckily (?) i heard is relatively easier for singaporean to get in.

hey thanks for the detailed explanations..... i still have some queries. So when we matriculate into the first year, we can declare any majors that we are interested and nt restricted by any quote set per major right? And what gpa must we maintain to get to honours year? And must you be really smart to get good results? (as far as i feel, i am those abit hardworking type and enjoy doing maths) Thanks!

(1)
as long as u fulfil the A'lvl / O'lvl /etc requirement, u can choose any major u wan during the start of every sem and there are no quota limit (except for QF where u can onli apply after ur first year).

(2)
not sure if there are any min requirement to get into honors year, but i heard ppl usually does not do honor if their CAP is below 4.0.

(3)
Again, that would depend on what is ur definition of good, and how smart is consider not "really-smart". For me, i personally think that if you are not really-smart, there is a limitation on how far u can go academically based on hard work alone, bcos most of the really-smart ppl are goin to work their @ss off too. but if u are atleast slightly above average, with tremendous hard work, you can still do relatively well (>4.3)

blurkingz

Reaction score
wow thanks again darkzion! i got a few more queries.... cant think of all at a time haha! and not many discussion about statistics in all the forums! how about the profs? Are they helpful? And the class ratio? Seems like u got good gpa there! Good luck in getting QF! :D may ask u more qns if you dont mind haha! Any more seniors could share their experience?! thanks!

Raichu29125

Reaction score
i did badly for this sem.. particularly ma2108... sld have got into QF first then take it... :( but luckily (?) i heard is relatively easier for singaporean to get in.

For this year's intake, everyone must get into the interview round (even if you're a CAP 5). It's easier for Singaporeans to get in? Well, I can't really say much in the public sphere here.

I believe that you do have a passion in derivatives trading, as seen from your blog. So remember to bring that out in the interview. That could separate you from the rest of the QF-wannabies who are getting in purely because of CAP.

Oh yeah, interview questions - be prepared for the unprepared. That's what I could say. Don't believe in what the junior talk's advice (if you Googled that out, that is).

Last edited:

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow thanks again darkzion! i got a few more queries.... cant think of all at a time haha! and not many discussion about statistics in all the forums! how about the profs? Are they helpful? And the class ratio? Seems like u got good gpa there! Good luck in getting QF! :D may ask u more qns if you dont mind haha! Any more seniors could share their experience?! thanks!

lol welcome. so far all the prof i encountered are good in delivering the lecture.. among them one is a PRC but his accent is not too heavy and he is good in explaining concepts. And they seems very approachable to me, altho i nvr approach them before. I usually find the tutor instead if i had any problems... but with the exception of very few, most tutors (for math) are usually heavy in accent and could not teach very well.

And class ratio? if u meant lecture size and tutorial size, den is about 100+ to 400+ and 20 to 30 respectively for all the lvl 1000 ma and st mods tht u r most likely goin to take.

For this year's intake, everyone must get into the interview round (even if you're a CAP 5). It's easier for Singaporeans to get in? Well, I can't really say much in the public sphere here.

I believe that you do have a passion in derivatives trading, as seen from your blog. So remember to bring that out in the interview. That could separate you from the rest of the QF-wannabies who are getting in purely because of CAP.

Oh yeah, interview questions - be prepared for the unprepared. That's what I could say. Don't believe in what the junior talk's advice (if you Googled that out, that is).

wow, u seems really knowledgeable in it... are u inside QF? or some staff/grad student in the math department? And thx for the advice :D

ForTheWind

Reaction score
I assume this is how it works.
If you wish to go QF, you have to declare Maths/Applied Maths as Major when sem starts?
Whereas if you opt for stats major then you'll not be eligible for QF at the end of the year though let's say you get 5.0?
Is this how it works? :s22::s22:

I'm interested in QF but I'm not confident enough to secure a place in QF after year 1. I'm also more interested in stats than applied maths.
Auhhh

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u are eligible to apply for QF as long as you fulfill the 4 module requirement and have a min CAP of 3.5 at the end of 2 semester.. does not matter which major u r from.

ForTheWind

Reaction score
u are eligible to apply for QF as long as you fulfill the 4 module requirement and have a min CAP of 3.5 at the end of 2 semester.. does not matter which major u r from.

thanks man. It seems majoring in stats will automatically fulfil the module requirements for qf?

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks man. It seems majoring in stats will automatically fulfil the module requirements for qf?

the 4 module required will also fulfill the graduating requirement of stats... you jus have to make sure u complete that particular 4 module within the first 2 semester.

ForTheWind

Reaction score
Side question. Are there a lot of FT in stats and applied maths? :o
I rmb one post stating there are 34 PRC and 1 local in the 2009 batch of QF. That's like wtf to me!

ForTheWind

Reaction score
i know ft can only go science engineering or computer coz they are not allowed to go fass school of design business etc.:(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.