Pull-ups glorification thread

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
Some people, incl me, are back-dominant when pull/chin up.

Besides the close grip chin, try also Arnold's muscle-mind connection, and play around with your torso angle to feel for the best positions for biceps, also feel for the point along the ROM that hit your biceps most and do isometric hold, or, pre-fatique your back before the chin.

kns, unker ketua 4got to post the tally again :(

yea, i do pull-ups at the end of workouts now. can feel bicep more. :s13:

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cowed77, as for ur saying that pull-ups=big guns...i read this article by dave tate (dont ask for link, either tnation or elitefts lol) saying that he believes that if u want big biceps, u need direct bicep work. pull-ups can get ur arms bigger, but there's a limit to it.

personally, i havent seen my arms getting bigger/more swole from pull-ups. there was even a period where i train pull-ups very extensively(might do it again lol). my pull-ups was in the region of 20+ (but dont think now can) but my arms remained more or less the same.

Really depends on how the individual responds since no 2 persons are alike. Personally I would say, go for weighted chin-ups (supinated close-grip) keeping the reps between 6 - 8 & training to failure for a couple of weeks if you want to whack the biceps.

When I was in my 20s & 30s I've benefited from both weighted chin-ups & curls - both worked in getting my biceps up. For my triceps however, only weighted dips & close-grip bench presses really worked; direct triceps work only helped a little bit..

so go experiment what works for you...

galapogos

Reaction score
Rather than update your latest post, you should update your original post right? Easier to refer.

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
Rather than update your latest post, you should update your original post right? Easier to refer.

Liddat i jialat leh. and if i MIA or tio ban :)s13:), then how to update?

Since when ppl come in to report their figures, they can just add to the tally ma.

Total: 87

Wormy 41
Jc tan 25
Plumper 21

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some people, incl me, are back-dominant when pull/chin up.

Besides the close grip chin, try also Arnold's muscle-mind connection, and play around with your torso angle to feel for the best positions for biceps, also feel for the point along the ROM that hit your biceps most and do isometric hold, or, pre-fatique your back before the chin.

side track here a bit here....

For chin-ups to whack the biceps, pre-exhaust works but only for a couple of weeks; try this:

2 pre-exhaust sets using HIT Mike Mentzer style:

Do 1 set of curls: tempo 2 secs up 4 secs down. 6 - 8 reps to failure immediately followed by slow chin-ups: 60 secs up 60 secs down: do as many reps as possible (most ppl can only do 1 rep & if you're really strong maybe 2)

After that rest 60 secs & do 1 more pre-exhaust superset like the 1st one.

xxduckxx

Reaction score
12+10+8 today

shoo sad used to hit 24 22 20 in my JC/NS days.. canoeing was my cca so that helped alot

record ive seen is 50+ .. think it was 55.. set by my senior .. widearm pull up

ketua

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Total: 146

Wormy 41
Demikidisme 29
Jc tan 25
Plumper 21
Xxduck 30

Seriously I seldom see people do proper chin/pull up.
It's either chin never go above bar (especially those doing wide grip), and/or didn't go down till arms straighten/near straighten.

To me, these are "no count".

cowed77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
******* lah, all dunno how to follow simple instructions izzit? See that tree over there? Run to it and say sorry. :mad: :( :crazy:

cowed77, as for ur saying that pull-ups=big guns...i read this article by dave tate (dont ask for link, either tnation or elitefts lol) saying that he believes that if u want big biceps, u need direct bicep work. pull-ups can get ur arms bigger, but there's a limit to it.

personally, i havent seen my arms getting bigger/more swole from pull-ups. there was even a period where i train pull-ups very extensively(might do it again lol). my pull-ups was in the region of 20+ (but dont think now can) but my arms remained more or less the same.

Hahaah u also nv read my post properly.

Wah unker chay, triple dropsets!!!

RabbitKing

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
did 10 in the morning, 13 before going out, just did another 9..
so total 32? like that play har?

Total: 178

Wormy 41
Demikidisme 29
Jc tan 25
Plumper 21
Xxduck 30
rabbit 32

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously I seldom see people do proper chin/pull up.
It's either chin never go above bar (especially those doing wide grip), and/or didn't go down till arms straighten/near straighten.

To me, these are "no count".

let's assume the integrity of HnF lor :(

TS, why don't you setup a spreadsheet on google docs for people to input ?

wa rau, no need sho high tech rah :(

did 10 in the morning, 13 before going out, just did another 9..
so total 32? like that play har?

labbit sho cleber :love:

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
Keverus just did 25.

Total: 203

Wormy 41
Rabbit 32
Xxduck 30
Demikidisme 29
Jc tan 25
Keverus 25
Plumper 21

jctan77

Reaction score
Wow.. Haven't seen you post here for 10 months. Are you still doing SS?

Yoz maso, thanks for remembering me.

Unable to stick to SS routine after my long honeymoon trip, strength lost, waist exploded and IPPT window closing. Need to train on running to pass 2.4km run. Running standard drop tremendously after training for SS only, so I think SS not so suited for me afterall.

Apologies for the off topic.

RabbitKing

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Total: 221

Wormy 41
Rabbit 50
Xxduck 30
Demikidisme 29
Jc tan 25
Keverus 25
Plumper 21

did 9 + 9. :s22:

galapogos

Reaction score
Liddat i jialat leh. and if i MIA or tio ban :)s13:), then how to update?

Since when ppl come in to report their figures, they can just add to the tally ma.
You started the list, so obviously you have to be in charge of it.

Too many cooks spoil the broth. When someone misses out the latest tally and adds his total to an older version, or when more than 1 person tries to add to the tally at the same time, the tally will then henceforth be inaccurate.

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just did pull-ups superset with standing DB presses:

12, 8, 6, 6, 5, 5 = 42

Keverus

Banned
Reaction score
Total: 263

GkhChay 42
Wormy 41
Rabbit 50
Xxduck 30
Demikidisme 29
Jc tan 25
Keverus 25
Plumper 21

You started the list, so obviously you have to be in charge of it.

Too many cooks spoil the broth. When someone misses out the latest tally and adds his total to an older version, or when more than 1 person tries to add to the tally at the same time, the tally will then henceforth be inaccurate.

i can also say that if i miss one person's contribution, also buang ma.

as long as everyone just check their post, all would be fine. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.