NTU/NUS/SMU 2012-2013 Intake

ajkda91

Reaction score
You confused foreigners with international applicants.

Foreigners (Non-citizens, Non-PRs) who have lived and studied for 3 years in a local Polytechnic are considered local applicants. They are in the same bracket as the rest of the Poly applicants.

The ones that are in a different bracket are the international applicants, holding qualifications from other countries. There is a very small limit for this group.

I thought that as long as one is not a citizen or PR is considered a foreign/international applicant???

If they are indeed considered as local applicants because they have read a local poly diploma then not very fair for us leh...

If i go oversea study for a few years, the oversea unis or colleges will still considered me as international applicant...

Why singapore blur the line so much uh???

dissapointed90

Reaction score
Rejected by NUS and NTU

haiz... i was rejected by both NUS and NTU. My GPA is 3.84, cant get into NTU or NUS, so sad. maybe because of my English got d7 ??? or because i am a foreigner ???

now i am going to appeal, but don't know whether want to stick choosing the Mechanical engineering or not?

any people who have the same situation last year? please guide me :(

Potatoe

Reaction score
got fass.. gpa 3.2, l1r5 14...

wah gongxi gonxi.
you applied with work experience + related diploma?
My fren worked for a film house and had related diploma, gpa around your area also. but not this year la. around 2-3years ago.

Hurzer

Reaction score
haiz... i was rejected by both NUS and NTU. My GPA is 3.84, cant get into NTU or NUS, so sad. maybe because of my English got d7 ??? or because i am a foreigner ???

now i am going to appeal, but don't know whether want to stick choosing the Mechanical engineering or not?

any people who have the same situation last year? please guide me :(

As qouted by NUS:

You would be considered a Local Applicant if you are a:

Student who has attended a junior college, polytechnic or selected high schools in Singapore and attained any of the following qualifications:
Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Level
Diploma (from local Polytechnics)
NUS High School Diploma
International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma

Hence, you are considered as a local applicant competing in the local polytechnic batch.

O level forms 20% of admission criteria, but I'm pretty sure they accept D7 for english (though it pulls down your overall score.) What is your O Level R4?

Lastly, you would get a higher chance of entering a course that is related to your diploma. So try applying for a related diploma in NUS/NTU as your grade allows you to enter all courses in NTU and roughly 75% of the courses in NUS

dissapointed90

Reaction score
As qouted by NUS:

Student who has attended a junior college, polytechnic or selected high schools in Singapore and attained any of the following qualifications:
NUS High School Diploma

Hence, you are considered as a local applicant competing in the local polytechnic batch.

O level forms 20% of admission criteria, but I'm pretty sure they accept D7 for english (though it pulls down your overall score.) What is your O Level R4?

Lastly, you would get a higher chance of entering a course that is related to your diploma. So try applying for a related diploma in NUS/NTU as your grade allows you to enter all courses in NTU and roughly 75% of the courses in NUS

yeah, i checked in NTU relevant course website. the first choice of my manufacturing engineering course is mechanical engineering and material engineering. should i stick with this mechanical engineering course ? or change another one.

My R4 is 14, some more all the subject that i take are calculation and combine science.

Hurzer

Reaction score
yeah, i checked in NTU relevant course website. the first choice of my manufacturing engineering course is mechanical engineering and material engineering. should i stick with this mechanical engineering course ? or change another one.

My R4 is 14, some more all the subject that i take are calculation and combine science.

well the choice is yours to make as it is very subjective! btw were you outright rejected or did you get an interview/test?

dissapointed90

Reaction score
well the choice is yours to make as it is very subjective! btw were you outright rejected or did you get an interview/test?

yeah, outright rejected. i didn't get an interview, because the course that i chose no asterisk, no need to interview one. u are a student from NUS ??

Hurzer

Reaction score
I just gradated from poly with 3.84. Seems pretty odd, but i guess you have an excellent chance in a successful appeal because they review your grades and appeal letter :)

dissapointed90

Reaction score
I just gradated from poly with 3.84. Seems pretty odd, but i guess you have an excellent chance in a successful appeal because they review your grades and appeal letter :)

thanks ^^. i hope they really give me a chance. i still dont want to work yet ... thanks hurzer ... can u play tennis or table tennis? if yes, we can meet up and play together haha ...

baeiscool

Reaction score
wah gongxi gonxi.
you applied with work experience + related diploma?
My fren worked for a film house and had related diploma, gpa around your area also. but not this year la. around 2-3years ago.

work experience wise, not really, i guess pretty much the same as any other poly kia with internships... related diploma, well also not really, but fass covers a pretty wide spectrum of study so i guess there could be some overlapping fields...

May i know what's yr o level english grade? I got a higher GPA and lower o level than you but got rejected

i think i got a 3 for english...

kirbyherder

Reaction score
thanks ^^. i hope they really give me a chance. i still dont want to work yet ... thanks hurzer ... can u play tennis or table tennis? if yes, we can meet up and play together haha ...

I got rejected too tho I graduated at the top of my course. Very disappointing. They said my grades were not good enough. Got 3.84 and COM and gold CCA. O levels R4 14 english B3. Could it be my O levels?

tedXted

Reaction score
I've never taken the O levels before. I studied at an international school in Singapore so I graduated with a American diploma. My school didn't really have specializations so it's just a normal graduating diploma. I did take the SAT though, but the scores weren't that great :(

Generally, american diploma grads have an unusually difficult time entering singaporean unis compared to the other foreign qualifications.

if you have very good SAT II scores, it is still possible. but otherwise, its an uphill battle.

tedXted

Reaction score
I thought that as long as one is not a citizen or PR is considered a foreign/international applicant???

If they are indeed considered as local applicants because they have read a local poly diploma then not very fair for us leh...

If i go oversea study for a few years, the oversea unis or colleges will still considered me as international applicant...

Why singapore blur the line so much uh???

they are local APPLICANT but when they matriculate they are foreign STUDENTS.

it means then in terms of results, they are being compared to local students because they hold the same qualifications (comparing apples to apples). thats why they are in the same cat (cat B). while they are in CAT B, they still have to pay foreign student fees. they are only in the same category for admissions, nothing else.

these foreigners who study in local poly are still restricted by the 20% foreign student cap. thats why you hear of stories of local who score lower GPA than foreigners but still manage to be accepted while the foreigner wasn't accepted.

US universities are the same too. if you grad from an US high school, your scores are compared with other americans (i.e. you will be in the 'local' pool but you are still subjected to international fees and any caps on international student numbers)

in short:

foreigners with local qualifications have an easier time entering local uni than foreigners with foreign qualification. and from the cases i've seen, locals with local qualification have an easier time entering local uni than foreigners with local qualification (don't include those who enter through DA)

Last edited:

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
As qouted by NUS:

NUS High School Diploma

it means then in terms of results, they are being compared to local students because they hold the same qualifications (comparing apples to apples). thats why they are in the same cat (cat B). while they are in CAT B, just like singaporeans, they still have to pay foreign student fees. they are only in the same category for admissions, nothing else.

these foreigners who study in local poly are still restricted by the 20% foreign student cap. thats why you hear of stories of local who score lower GPA than foreigners but still manage to be accepted while the foreigner wasn't accepted.

US universities are the same too. if you grad from an US high school, your scores are compared with other americans (i.e. you will be in the 'local' pool but you are still subjected to international fees and any caps on international student numbers)

I agree with what tedxted has said. same admission category doesnt mean that they are competing in the same pool.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.