NTU/NUS/SMU 2012-2013 Intake

khuzaimah

Reaction score
work experience wise, not really, i guess pretty much the same as any other poly kia with internships... related diploma, well also not really, but fass covers a pretty wide spectrum of study so i guess there could be some overlapping fields...

i think i got a 3 for english...

Waa its damn good that you get accepted by FASS..i got rejected lor sighh, probably because my diploma nt really related lol

UnknownGirl

Reaction score
Do anyone know the roughly cut off pt for Poly to enter into NUS Business admin and Business admin (Accountancy)? Because i am planning to appeal, but not too sure which course is easier to get in through appeal.

kokolina

Reaction score
Do anyone know the roughly cut off pt for Poly to enter into NUS Business admin and Business admin (Accountancy)? Because i am planning to appeal, but not too sure which course is easier to get in through appeal.

i guess it got to depends on your results (GPA) and the course you attended to in poly!

jameskoay

Reaction score

hi UnknownGirl :)

based on the trend analysis from few years back, Accountancy should be harder to get in (based on cutoff GPA)

from my personal knowledge, from SP Business Admin course to NUS Business Admin, 3.85 GPA did not make it for the first cut.. 3.87 GPA made it and onwards.

Hope this has been useful for you.. all the best :)

baeiscool

Reaction score
wah but seriously the cop for those competitive biz courses are insane... think poly is getting quite acadamic as the years go by ---> grade inflation??

avviicc

Banned
Reaction score
so our teachers all lied to us when they said CCA is important and force us to have CCA.

If u look carefully, especially nus and ntu, they dun even care about ur cca.

So might as well spread the message that joining CCA is only for those elites who wants to get schlarships, normal students like us would be better off trying to get better results for O level AND poly. I emphasized AND becos no use scoring well for ur poly, ur past (O level) will come back to haunt you. So those naive secondary school students think that CCA is important , later when they apply for uni, I feel for them

Potatoe

Reaction score
so our teachers all lied to us when they said CCA is important and force us to have CCA.

So might as well spread the message that joining CCA is only for those elites who wants to get schlarships, normal students like us would be better off trying to get better results for O level AND poly. I emphasized AND becos no use scoring well for ur poly, ur past (O level) will come back to haunt you. So those naive secondary school students think that CCA is important , later when they apply for uni, I feel for them

cca is only impt for JC entry. Even after jc level cca is quite bo liao. Sadly I also fell for that trick. knn i was kicked out from the school team and literally begged the teacher to get back in because i wanted to cca grade for uni. TMD in the end cca not even considered during my uni entrance. F***!

jameskoay

Reaction score

agree. prioritize academic results before CCA

Jackel_Yang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cca is only impt for JC entry. Even after jc level cca is quite bo liao. Sadly I also fell for that trick. knn i was kicked out from the school team and literally begged the teacher to get back in because i wanted to cca grade for uni. TMD in the end cca not even considered during my uni entrance. F***!

What reasons do JCs give for promoting / encouraging active participation in CCAs ?

Do they openly claim that it helps in gaining Uni admission ? (Not entirely false; there's discretionary admission, but misleading nevertheless...)

Is the school unaware of the Uni's admission score (unlikely), or perhaps it has other motives ?

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
agree. prioritize academic results before CCA

QFT. I encourage JC / Poly Students with Local Uni-aspirations to let CCA take a backseat. (Unless, of course, it's your true passion. Or that you're just in it for the cute girls.)

I graduated with no CCA award. Didn't affect my NUS/NTU admission.

The only Interview I had was from SMU. I foresaw my CCA-less background as a weapon they could shoot me with, so I planned beforehand and managed to talk my way out of it. (Pro-tip: Cover weakness with strengths.)

Disclaimer: Got my offer a month later, so perhaps they did penalize me for it and I was lower on the waiting list. Shrugs.

Nicholas92

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the school unaware of the Uni's admission score (unlikely), or perhaps it has other motives ?

Boosting its own reputation by grooming various (especially sports) champions ? Having an impressive portfolio of competitions victories ? Able to provide top-tier performances for VIP events ?

And of course, having its own squad of cheerleading XMMs to attract guys during Open house! (Fell for this one at a Poly.)

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score

CCA is important in sec sch for u to appeal into a gd JC, Poly course or scholarship. but not for JC/Poly. This is a well-known fact.

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
What reasons do JCs give for promoting / encouraging active participation in CCAs ?

Do they openly claim that it helps in gaining Uni admission ? (Not entirely false; there's discretionary admission, but misleading nevertheless...)

CCA is very important if u plan to apply for prestigious scholarships like PSC/SAFOS

Potatoe

Reaction score
Honestly though, I'm a bit confused as to why NTU didn't require SAT 1 or 2 during applications. NUS required both while SMU required only SAT 1. Shouldn't the SAT be a big part of how students, without o levels, are assessed?

At least NTU hasn't rejected me outright just yet :( still waiting, mid July if not wrong...

Thats because not many people read SAT as a pre-U qualification here. Unless your score is top notch, dont think they will bother sifting through borderline SAT scores to come to a conclusion. The 2nd most likely reason is that A level and poly scores are probably input into an algorithm in the admission system that prioritizes everyone down the line and a SAT score clearly wont fit into the system. Like i said it'll probably be chucked aside TBA later, or worse placed right at the end of the queue. thats why foreigners with non-standard qualifications also receive a higher rejection rate apart from the placement quota.

Anyway why choose Singapore uni, US colleges not good enough for you?

beaumont

Reaction score
Just got rejected by SMU for all my five choices.

My GPA was 3.91 and L1R4 was 10. English B3.

Anyone is in the same situation as me? Is the competition really that intense this year?

:(

smile_daphne

Reaction score
Just got rejected by SMU for all my five choices.

My GPA was 3.91 and L1R4 was 10. English B3.

Anyone is in the same situation as me? Is the competition really that intense this year?

:(

Holy**** you sure? omg. mine still processing. Idk whether to be happy or what?

And they never call me for interview...

Last edited:

beaumont

Reaction score
Holy**** you sure? omg. mine still processing. Idk whether to be happy or what?

And they never call me for interview...

Ya. The online status has been updated and shows this - "Your application has been rejected."

No news is good news at this point of time?

Haiz. :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.