NTU/NUS/SMU 2012-2013 Intake

avviicc

Banned
Reaction score
Aviccii, have you considered that you did not fare well for the SMU interview hence you are still on the waiting list? Or your L1R5 pulled you down?

You must realise that admission to Uni isn't all black and white especially for us poly students since we're pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order. What is said does have some truth in it, some courses are easier to score than others and over the years the Universities have already sifted these courses out. You yourself will know if your course is easy to score. A few rough criterion will be having at least 20 other students with higher GPAs than you or being a 3.8pointer but not in the top 10%

But don't fret, as long as you have not been rejected, you still have a chance. 2 years back I waited almost 3/4 months for my acceptance. I was rejected by all 3, SMU even rejected me without an interview. Thankfully after appealing, NTU offered me a course and SMU called me up for a interview and subsequently an offer.

I have a diploma with merit, which means I am the top 10% of my course. Ya, keeping my fingers crossed.. just hope the whole admission can be more transparent

agenda

Master Member
Reaction score
I have a diploma with merit, which means I am the top 10% of my course. Ya, keeping my fingers crossed.. just hope the whole admission can be more transparent

I see, that's good! At least you can rest assured that your course most probably isn't a diploma mill like TP engineering lol.

IIRC, there's a 2nd acceptance window right? I think I only got my offer during that period and there's a portion in the admission page about discretion in admission for poly students based on O levels and GPA.

Votre Altesse

Reaction score
Actually I do wonder sometimes why some people with a lower gpa got into UNi while some others with a higher gpa didn't. But besides gpa and o level grades I think being at the right place and at the right time makes a difference too. You will need to have some odds in your favor as nothing is fair in this world... I hate that fact where only the creme of the crop deserves the best but we can't deny it, born in this society... Even interview may not be fair... Because not everyone gets the same interviewer, whether you have done well or not for your interview is very subjective..

In comparison with many years before us, we are actually quite lucky that local unis has been increasing the intake of poly students into local unis. I'm sure you will get your deserving place in one

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
Then there is a misrepresentation on the uni part. They should include O level into their indicative GPA for our reference in order to make the whole selection process more transparent and allow us a more informed choice right?

that sounds easy. May I ask u how are u gonna put o lvl result together with GPA on that IGP? lets say the 90th percentile has GPA of 3.99 but O lvl of 20pts, and the 10th percentile is GPA 3.5 but with O lvl of 6 points. So which is better now?

Please be reminded that IGP is merely a guide to tell u the ppl who got in last year. It does not indicate that u can get in with the same result this year as the cohort that is applying in is different. u r not only competing with ppl in ur cohort. u r also competing with ppl who has failed to get in last yr or years b4.
u really simplified the admission process into just u and ur friends applying.

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
For entry to JC, the admission is quite transparent. THE COP for JC is quite strictly adhere to.
Wow just becuz u didnt see it therefore u think it doesnt exist?

My sec sch has a PSLE COP of 253, we have ppl with PSLE 250 in the school too!

The same goes to JC where the COP can be L1R5 12 and u see ppl with L1R5 14 inside.

Same applies to Poly courses.

I have seen a lot like this. so why u nvr go question them?

Icetray

Master Member
Reaction score
For entry to JC, the admission is quite transparent. THE COP for JC is quite strictly adhere to.

This is not true. I was in your position last year as well. I was upset that my friends (and there were many) who had much lower A level grades were getting places into university. Into the same courses that I had selected.

You can complain all you want to be honest. The universities have a right to choose any method to choose their students.

Besides, have you have considered that it could be you? I know that you have a certificate of merit...and extremely high GPA but perhaps they just weren't impressed with how you performed during your interview.

TIMEisTICKING

Reaction score
Like some has already mentioned, besides your academic qualifications, other things are actually taken into account.

Would you all believe if I told you there's this guy who got into SMU BizAd with a GPA of 2.8 when the 10th-percentile grade is 3.71 (for AY2011)? From what I'm told he got taken into consideration because of his achievements thus far. Supposedly he's one of the main organizers for events @ Butter Factory and earns 8k-16k per event. SMU therefore recognizes his capability NOT from his GPA.

So when there are people with GPA getting the courses they want whereas you can't, find out the FULL story by asking them what they had submitted for their application. There is seriously no point in whining about it. Your time can be better spent on thinking about how else you can try to obtain your course. (Maybe calling up the admissions center to ask and see what they tell you?)

Anyway, what can you ALONE do about this entire system, however unfair it may seem?

pineapple tarts

Reaction score

Why not you state here your gpa, olevel, poly, poly courses and uni choices so that we have a better picture? :vijayadmin:

Since you said your gpa is higher the IGP, try applying again for next two years or approach your mp/tutors for help, you should be able to get in. :)

crazycock

Reaction score
Like some has already mentioned, besides your academic qualifications, other things are actually taken into account.

Would you all believe if I told you there's this guy who got into SMU BizAd with a GPA of 2.8 when the 10th-percentile grade is 3.71 (for AY2011)? From what I'm told he got taken into consideration because of his achievements thus far. Supposedly he's one of the main organizers for events @ Butter Factory and earns 8k-16k per event. SMU therefore recognizes his capability NOT from his GPA.

So when there are people with GPA getting the courses they want whereas you can't, find out the FULL story by asking them what they had submitted for their application. There is seriously no point in whining about it. Your time can be better spent on thinking about how else you can try to obtain your course. (Maybe calling up the admissions center to ask and see what they tell you?)

Anyway, what can you ALONE do about this entire system, however unfair it may seem?

you mean D*** chia?

hellclown

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok.. good luck to ur children.. tell that to ur children next time .. remember what u saying to me.. next time ur children cant get into uni for the same reasons as mine, repeat what u saying to them.

Anyway i applied for related course with COP much lower than my results, u bet i can secure a place in uni but i did not. I am not pricky.. i choose a related course with COP of 3.58 and my GPA is near 3.80. Ok, i blame myself of been stupid and not able to get GPA of 4.00. I blame myself of not born in PRC, if not i can come here as scholar..Ok.. all my fault, I should not complain and I should just shut up and follow the system here.

PS: Remember tell all this to ur children next time and tell ur children to shut up too.. Gd luck.

Just offering my thoughts..

1) previous year COP cannot be use to represent the COP for this year.

2) rank/choice of course could be one of the factor that applicant is being rejected

3) it could also be the peers who applied to the same course as you did. There may be limited or even lesser vacancies for poly ppl this year. These ppl applying to the same course might did better than you. Hence, you got rejected.

On a side note, life is always about comparing who the best for the top prize. i believe you will face a lot more almost similar situation if you are accepted into almost any of the university.

Best example is university semester grades. You can score 95/100 for the module and confident for an A. However, you get only B+ or A- instead of A or A+. This is because a lot of your other peers score 96 to 100. Similar event might happened during the university student selection phrase, instead of marks, they uses ur GPA and O level results as the score.

avviicc

Banned
Reaction score
lookin at the responses I get, many shoot me down when I try to question the "system". Imagine people from this forum ask me to stop complaining or stop questioning the system but instead look at myself. I know myself cant change the system. I read from a thread that even our previous President Ong Teng Cheong cant even get an answer with regards to the asset that our country has. If even a president cant change anything, I am just a small fly, what can I do... Even within the people here, just by questioning the selection process, I kana shoot down by people in this forum. Imagine I go question the higher authority, I may end up having to apologise to them.

So lesson learnt here.. u die is ur business.. u die is becos u are weak and daft.. dun ever question the system here.. the system is always correct, how dare u question the system.

So with a GPA 3.80 and a diploma with merit and cant get into local U, I think I have to work for a few years and study overseas and I tell myself if i am sucessful overseas, I would not come back to this country who has forsaken me and giving FTs the places in the uni deprieving me of a place in local uni..

Anyway thanks to those who tried to support me in anyway and to those who asked me to stop questioning the "system" here, gd luck to u all and hope next time i wun see u all questioning the system here as the system in the country is ALWAYS CORRECT...

Last edited:

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
So with a GPA 3.80 and a diploma with merit and cant get into local U, I think I have to work for a few years and study overseas and I tell myself if i am sucessful overseas, I would not come back to this country who has forsaken me and giving FTs the places in the uni deprieving me of a place in local uni..

You could at least post:

Which poly & course you are from

What your O level L1R4 is

What your A. maths grade is

What your English grade is

Which are the courses you applied for

Stop repeating that you got a 3.80 with Merit. Honestly people with your results are a dime dozen. And all these people are also clamouring to get into a course of their choice. Perhaps you may have indeed been unfairly discriminated against, but at least give a full picture?

jameskoay

Reaction score
lookin at the responses I get, many shoot me down when I try to question the "system". Imagine people from this forum ask me to stop complaining or stop questioning the system but instead look at myself. I know myself cant change the system. I read from a thread that even our previous President Ong Teng Cheong cant even get an answer with regards to the asset that our country has. If even a president cant change anything, I am just a small fly, what can I do... Even within the people here, just by questioning the selection process, I kana shoot down by people in this forum. Imagine I go question the higher authority, I may end up having to apologise to them.

So lesson learnt here.. u die is ur business.. u die is becos u are weak and daft.. dun ever question the system here.. the system is always correct, how dare u question the system.

Anyway thanks to those who tried to support me in anyway and to those who asked me to stop questioning the "system" here, gd luck to u all and hope next time i wun see u all questioning the system here as the system in the country is ALWAYS CORRECT...

eh come on la dude.. the way you write appears to be very childish leh.. as many have stated before.. just write down your poly/course/l1r5/eng grade/ a math grade etc... and what courses you applied for.. who knows we may agree that you should have gotten into the course by your academic results

Last edited:

couscous.falafel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
many ppl with cmi english @ o levels end up with poly dip with merit. uni wont accept such pple.

r u one of them?

Jackel_Yang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Merit is overrated.

There are small courses with intake of 30 - 40, and the top 3 - 4 gets merit.

Still an excellent achievement, but perhaps less impressive compared to being in the top 10% of a course with 300+ students.

Jackel_Yang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
many ppl with cmi english @ o levels end up with poly dip with merit. uni wont accept such pple.

r u one of them?

Agreed.

"The GCE’O’ level results take up 20% of the total admission points and 5 GCE ‘O’ level subjects are taken into consideration, inclusive of English Language."
Source : Computation of admission score for polytechnic diploma applicants

Although not stated, it is possible that English takes a higher weightage than the other subjects.

Furthermore, almost all Polytechnic students would have to take the Qualifying English Test in NUS since O's English is not accepted as an exemption.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.