Microsoft Surface

Evilmerlin

Reaction score
ARM has a proven track record in mobile computing, all the mobile device out there right now are running ARM cores be it Apple iOS or Andriod devices

microsoft is hedging with ARM in case intel screws up

intel processor guzzle power while ARM processor uses very little power

think intel better stick with desktop and ARM mobile

but intel knows the future of computing is the "cloud" and "tablets"

so bo bian, nei nei have to push out the product

keekeekee :s13:

Gotta look at the long term. Right now, ARM is king when it comes to mobile computing but when Intel puts it's far far and I do mean FAR greater resources behind mobile computing, ARM will be in trouble.

tnatna

Master Member
Reaction score
pls la, microsoft has always deployed this in their tablets or is it a wacom feature?

the disable touch feature when using pen is quite intetesting... :o

so can rest your palm on the screen without triggering the touchscreen... :o

ashhong

Reaction score
i thought they already had a product called Surface?
an actual table touch screen thingy.

yes, that is a enterprise table-like device.

i had no idea why they name the tablet surface.

Hands-on with Microsoft Surface for Windows RT, Touch Cover and Type Cover (update: video!) -- Engadget

it has 2 version

Intel and ARM

the question is whether windows 8 can perform better on ARM than android

we all know wintel works

if winARM works

keekeekee ;)

there are some limitation with ARM but i would believe it is still better than andriod.

G4

Master Member
Reaction score
But all depends on the applications available for the new devices and OS. Applications or apps rules...

LouisLoh

Reaction score
But all depends on the applications available for the new devices and OS. Applications or apps rules...

If you're talking about Metro apps, yes. But if you were to get the Pro version, lol @ complaints about apps.

annai

Reaction score
Fancy Microsoft named their latest product starting with a S. Hope it's not S.H.I.T or S.U.C.K.S

Reaction score
Straits Times reporting is fail. Hardly any information, and it only got a weeeeeee little corner on page A15. Not even written by ST.

Digital Life even better. Today's issue was 90% Apple, 5% Razer and 5% Coffee.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Straits Times reporting is fail. Hardly any information, and it only got a weeeeeee little corner on page A15. Not even written by ST.

Digital Life even better. Today's issue was 90% Apple, 5% Razer and 5% Coffee.
For goodness sake, they're reviewing glorified coffee machines on a tech newspaper....what did u expect? :D I also didn't see much ado about the iPad3 in the Straits Times when it was revealed, so u gotta manage your own fanboyism against what they actually write about.

But given the total lack of hands on, I doubt there's much for anyone here to be able to fill up any decent writing space. We'll just have to wait for the launch here.

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the hardware looks cool but notice microsoft didn't show us much of the software

don't think the OEM manufacturers like acer, asus and lenovo are happy about this

think they will focus their attention more to android tablets and ignore win 8 tablets to kill surface

windows remain popular today because of its OEM support, trying to steal their lunch could mean suicide

Evilmerlin

Reaction score
Win8 is already available as a developer preview and from the reports, it is a nice piece of OS.

Google will be releasing their own 7" tablet and already has it's Nexus line of phones. That didn't seem to piss off it's partners, granted Android is free while Win8 isn't.

It is a smart move for them to release the Pro version as that effectively opens up the tablet space to desktop applications. No need to worry about having to build up an app library. It's already there!

The RT version is another story though. I not familiar enough with the Windows phone app store to comment on it.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the hardware looks cool but notice microsoft didn't show us much of the software

don't think the OEM manufacturers like acer, asus and lenovo are happy about this

think they will focus their attention more to android tablets and ignore win 8 tablets to kill surface

windows remain popular today because of its OEM support, trying to steal their lunch could mean suicide
Hmmm.....show more of the Windows 8 which u can already install for urself to preview?

Evilmerlin

Reaction score
The only bad point about this preview is that there is too little information about it. You show the world how awesome your new mobile device is but you don't tell them things like battery life, price and availability.

I am chomping at the bit to know more about it but no info available.

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am a hardcore windows xp fan

had no choice but to use windows 7 because of ie9

using windows 7 starter on netbook now

but removed all the bloatware and my setup now looks like XP :s13:

even when they release windows 8, i would still remove all the funny "live" buttons and revert to XP mode

odds are i would try to upgrade my netbook with an SSD, ram upgrade and windows 8

i can also recycle my windows 7 starter by backing it up with a 32GB thumbdrive, so no need to buy windows 8 until microsoft discontinue windows 7

if the mainboard up the lorry, i would switch to an ITX board to save electricity

don't think surface would come cheap, should cost around S$0.8 - 1K for RT and S$1.5 - 2K for Pro, my estimates

my budget remains S$500 every 3-4 years when my pc up the lorry, re-using my OS, monitor, keyboard, mouse, casing

difficult for microsoft to make my money, i have been reusing my XP for 8 years

keekeekee :s22:

Last edited:

Evilmerlin

Reaction score
Microsoft did say that it would be priced competitively with current tablets and ultrabooks. So you're looking at $600-$800 for RT version. In fact $800 is already higher than most tablets in the market now. The estimate for the Pro is pretty good though, I think the most expensive ultrabook is the Asus Zenbook at $2K now?

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think stingy uncle like me who buy netbook because it is the cheapest option even much cheaper than to build your own atom ITX will still continue to buy netbook

surface looks like a good idea but i think they stole it from asus transformer, asus could sue microsoft in my humble opinion

people who use laptop would prefer a more solid keyboard, likely they will stick to ultra-books than having a flimsy keyboard held by magnets

hardcore gamers will still build their own rigs with power hungry PC components, with windows 8 maybe the only difference is buying a touch screen monitor, touch what i don't know :s13:

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would agree with uncle's guesstimate of 800-1000 for the RT because of the added keyboard.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think stingy uncle like me who buy netbook because it is the cheapest option even much cheaper than to build your own atom ITX will still continue to buy netbook

surface looks like a good idea but i think they stole it from asus transformer, asus could sue microsoft in my humble opinion

people who use laptop would prefer a more solid keyboard, likely they will stick to ultra-books than having a flimsy keyboard held by magnets

hardcore gamers will still build their own rigs with power hungry PC components, with windows 8 maybe the only difference is buying a touch screen monitor, touch what i don't know :s13:
That is a valid point.

Apple have their fanatics, who will buy anything by Apple. But decidedly less so for MS. So is there a market big enough for these very sleek but rather halfway (in the PC world) tablets?

sG_KYo

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok here's a question.

can play Marvel's:Avenger Alliance on the explorer of Microsoft Surface or not?

I bought my Transformers Prime because I can play Facebook games on the go mah ... :p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.