Raspberry Pi the new simple SMALL PC

jownsftw

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think i shall wait till come retail then buy. since order online also take 5 weeks. and you say stock will come august at farnell.

zoneguard

Reaction score
The Pi has HDMI output and GPIO. Why limit yourself to a openwrt use case?

Extracted from the Pi forums:
Media centres and gaming
Networking and servers
Graphics, sound and multimedia
Cases
Screens and displays
Other Projects

sammacitto

Reaction score
mine already arrive since 14 June.

What that all you used the Pi for?
mine still in the box, I only just created the OS in SD card, not yet login to it also.

solidghost

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Pi has HDMI output and GPIO. Why limit yourself to a openwrt use case?

Extracted from the Pi forums:
Media centres and gaming
Networking and servers
Graphics, sound and multimedia
Cases
Screens and displays
Other Projects

Hahaha, my interest what. Ya, the graphic thingy is a bit wasted.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How does that work? Multi-home?

Ethernet aliasing + routing table/iptables.

Routing works on layer 3. Ethernet aliasing allows you to specify multiple IPs onto the same nic. Of course you can also construct virtual nics via taps and assigned them with different mac addresses. The latter will means your one physical nic will work in promiscuous mode and response to multiple mac address arp requests at layer 2 and assigned to the correct virtual nic.

After that, that's why your routing table comes in at layer 3 to manipulate the flow of traffic between these virtual nics or aliased ip. In linux, firewall(iptables) is also capable of manipulating to a certain extend on how traffics are routed using packets marking at mangle, source/destination routing at nat.

Do read up on these topics if you are interested.

andre_flea

Reaction score
i used mine as:
1. web server
=>installed apache2, php, and mysql, running with 2 virtual host so far (24x7)
=>power consumption is much cheaper than my previous setup :p (macmini)
2. shell
=>I normally use it as wol client to my other machine (my router, doesn't forward wol package)

Anyway, I've overclocked mine to 855/500 (cpu/ram clock)

mine already arrive since 14 June.

What that all you used the Pi for?
mine still in the box, I only just created the OS in SD card, not yet login to it also.

jownsftw

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i used mine as:
1. web server
2. shell
=>I normally use it as wol client to my other machine (my router, doesn't forward wol package)

Bro for the web server, how? Can tahan well? Do you think it can perform better than a P4 desktop?

sammacitto

Reaction score
i used mine as:
1. web server
2. shell

you set it as media web server?
I think you can set it as cheap router, firewall, proxy and network sharing machine.

I actually got something in my minds ,I want to build UAV with Pi as the core brains for controlling the wing, rudder and throttle of the plane and it also used for processing the image from camera.

the main problem came from the other supporting hardware, because of export regulation and security act, I scrap the idea.
airframe, communication, encryption and media streaming will give me a lot of trouble later on, better be safe than sorry.

I start another project as a home automation and media centre, now start ordering the required part

jownsftw

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you set it as media web server?
I think you can set it as cheap router, firewall, proxy and network sharing machine.

I actually got something in my minds ,I want to build UAV with Pi as the core brains for controlling the wing, rudder and throttle of the plane and it also used for processing the image from camera.

the main problem came from the other supporting hardware, because of export regulation and security act, I scrap the idea.
airframe, communication, encryption and media streaming will give me a lot of trouble later on, better be safe than sorry.

I start another project as a home automation and media centre, now start ordering the required part

please document your journey, i would LOVE to read it:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.