best card for overseas spending

Thanatos_Wraiths

Reaction score
looks like Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa is the card to use overseas...

Rewards Infinite - 1st year auto inclusion or must enrol upon receiving the CC?
It was auto inclusion for me couple of years back.
Should remain unchange though.
You could ask the CSO or lookout for the RI Expiry date below your TPs balance when they post your first statement.

lufu

Master Member
Reaction score
One could enjoy 50% off Treat Vouchers on your birthday month and redeem a $50 treat vouchers with 5K TPs under the Reward Infinite program.

Yes, the $50 for 5K TPs is only a one-time offer during Birthday Month.
i.e. you can only redeem max of 5K TPs under this special offer

blue_line

Master Member
Reaction score
If you go on short trips overseas. Is it still wise to use the horizon card? Since I wont be using it after my trip.

I have the maybank horizon as I was overseas for over a year. Now since I am back and I have not much use for it, I am thinking of cancelling it.

Kirakun83

Master Member
Reaction score
Sry to dig up the thread.. May I know, izzit ALL credit
Card can be use in oversea travel, hotel booking n shopping?? I nv use cc during my travel, somehow juz in case I dun hav enough cash etc.. As long as got either visa or master logo mean I can use it in oversea?

cowfart

Reaction score
Card can be use in oversea travel, hotel booking n shopping?? I nv use cc during my travel, somehow juz in case I dun hav enough cash etc.. As long as got either visa or master logo mean I can use it in oversea?

Yes in most cases. However do note that certain banks may suddenly block your card when there is a sudden surge of charges and if they suspect fraud. If/when that happens, simply give your bank a call and they can unblock it.

netsuAi

Master Member
Reaction score
you got see the VISA advert at cinemas?
when you have no *insert currency here*... there's always VISA

Soon__

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just to check, where can I read up on the overseas admin charge?
I know OCBC Cashflo charge heavily on overseas currency. :mad:

Suleyman

Reaction score
Just to check, where can I read up on the overseas admin charge?
I know OCBC Cashflo charge heavily on overseas currency. :mad:

It's almost always buried somewhere inside the Cardmember's Agreement that was given to you when you first got the card.

Most banks will have online versions of it on their websites, but again buried somewhere on the page.

Kirakun83

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes in most cases. However do note that certain banks may suddenly block your card when there is a sudden surge of charges and if they suspect fraud. If/when that happens, simply give your bank a call and they can unblock it.

Thx for e info.. For the short travel, izzit advisable to get a travel credit card?

BossQ

Reaction score
CIMB CC got 1% cash rebate on all foreign spending with no monthly cap across all retail purchases.

Arcanell

Reaction score
Thx for e info.. For the short travel, izzit advisable to get a travel credit card?

there is no such thing as a travel credit card. you can use any locally issued credit card overseas. Be sure to give the bank a call to notify that you may be using their card overseas.

satch

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try to use mastercard rather than visa.... few mths back i charged a few cards for one purchase at the same time...mastercard rate was 1.685, visa 1.701 (sgd:€).... same bank (standard chartered)

dreamyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try to use mastercard rather than visa.... few mths back i charged a few cards for one purchase at the same time...mastercard rate was 1.685, visa 1.701 (sgd:€).... same bank (standard chartered)

were the transactions posted on the same date?

Kirakun83

Master Member
Reaction score

I had same card as u. The platinum or man card?

zjjx1977

Reaction score

I also think so. Currently have too many Visa card, dbs altitude visa, citi premier miles visa, maybank horizon visa. thinking change citi rewards visa to mastercard. Plus during GSS, mastercard have more promotion.

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

so for currency conversions better to use mastercard as rates are lower compared to visa?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so for currency conversions better to use mastercard as rates are lower compared to visa?

It may be due to different transaction date. Basically the currency rate is the same now a day.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.