Microsoft Surface

kingtrade

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I am looking for the perspective that everything needs to be balanced (and hardly a MS Fanboy) like how the Covenant of Primus taught us that Unicron and Primus is the balance of good and evil ...

But by the matrix, the Dark energon known as iPad and Android Tablet has already ran deep within a lot of companies, especially iPads in financial sectors ....

So wouldn't that be a long shot?

Surface is a ultrabook class notebook in a form factor of a tablet.

They don't even have to rely on apps ecosystem as the library of x86/x64 software is larger than those written specially for a indiviual platform (Heck u can even install other x86-x64 os if u don't like windows 8 pro)

IMO, I think that it would be priced too expensive for the average consumers (look at the current price of a ultrabook) unless it is their one and only device and its suface counterpart is in danger of failure (unless they can expand their store selection from just 99 apps).

But microsoft surface is in a good position to capture the enterprise market as a lot of corprate system is too deeply entrenched in windows/linux environment

sG_KYo

Master Member
Reaction score
the pro version uses windows 8. you could probably use alot of windows stuff on it like a normal computer. and the usb port will be very useful.

which is the exact reason why, i am buying it for work.

think will (not fearing of incurring the wrath of the fruit fanboys) be better than any Macbook Air/Pro/***** ... :p

Ok, I am being fair here, i have a 17" MBP and a 17" ACER Laptop also on top of my ASUS Transformers Prime. So don't SCOLD me Fanboy ... I am a techwhore. :)

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
for win 8 pro, hope they include mobile data option, in addition to wifi.... :o

unless they plan for some seamless integration with windows phone 8.... tethering using NFC? :eek:

roflolmao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which is the exact reason why, i am buying it for work.

think will (not fearing of incurring the wrath of the fruit fanboys) be better than any Macbook Air/Pro/***** ... :p

Ok, I am being fair here, i have a 17" MBP and a 17" ACER Laptop also on top of my ASUS Transformers Prime. So don't SCOLD me Fanboy ... I am a techwhore. :)

Yup, will definitely get one if the price is right.

The features are way better than anything the ipad/macbook offers.

I feel sad for the apple fanboys who will not be able to get a good product

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That does raise the question - why not a normal ultrabook that can run W8 as well? The Surface Pro does come with quite a few limitations compared to a proper notebook, albeit with the pros that's it's more stylo mylo. :D

Evilmerlin

Reaction score
I want the Pro version for the pen which I really hope is a digital stylus like the S-Pen or the N-Trig ones. I am not artist but I do take a lot of notes and having that pen is far more useful than tapping into a screen.

I was dead set on the Note 10.1 but if the Pro has a proper stylus then Microsoft has my money.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That does raise the question - why not a normal ultrabook that can run W8 as well? The Surface Pro does come with quite a few limitations compared to a proper notebook, albeit with the pros that's it's more stylo mylo. :D

Different form factor mah. Each will have their pros and cons.

For portability and ease of use while on the go, tablets are easier to use.

For true multi tasking and power computing, so far notebooks are the way to go.

No point speculating too much until the Surface is actually released. Hopefully it'll be a game changer.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
This is my view of the MS Surface...

OEMs can’t do it, so Microsoft DID IT! « My Thinking Out Loud!

For usage scenarios, I've been using a TabletPC from Acer from 2003-2007 & a Fujitsu from 2007 till now. I can tell you that the Surface can do everything my Fujitsu can + more. The Surface Pro can also support a 5mm clickable keyboard cover in addition to the 3mm Touch Keyboard Cover.

If you need a BIG screen, then yes the Surface is too small for you but for all those scenarios that the iPad & Android tablets are targetting, the Surface will work well including Flash in the Metro browser for both Win RT & Win8. ATM, Microsoft is not targetting the 7" market & the 5" market will be targetted by WP8. HTC has announced the Zenith for this.

For the Surface Pro, expect real running time at around 4-5 hours with screen & WiFi on due to Ivy Bridge Core i5 (+ PCH) consuming 20-30W depending on the CPU. (Unless Intel has a special Core i5 SoC that we haven't seen, then expect 15-20W). The 1080P panel will also use more power.

Surface may hit 6-8 hours assuming the Snapdragon S4+SoC consume <10W. It will have 720P or 768P screen.

I don't see a market for Ultrabook in the 10-12" range anymore because Wintel wants Touchscreen on their Ultrabook. It's difficult to use a Touchscreen when there's a keyboard in the way. 13" & above makes more sense to have Touchscreen but I'm thinking it's still a gimmick.

The Surface Pro will have a Electro-magneto type of stylus with palm rejection so it may be a Wacom as per hi-end TabletPC.

Surface will likely run WP7 & WP8 apps in Hypervisor. Surface Pro will run ALL Windows software that are Vista compatible + Win RT apps (MS Apphub will probably compile 2 versions (Arm + x86) to ensure seamless UX in the Win8 Store).

It can run WP7 & WP8 apps if you install the emulator for these 2 platforms. Not sure if running WP7/8 apps can be done natively or not.

So far, Win8 Release Preview can't run WP7/8 apps natively.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
MS Announced Win8 will be available on Oct 26th. Meaning the Surface (Arm) should be available as well.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
MS Surface Pro has a competitor!

Lenovo Tablet 2. Running on dual-core Intel Atom, real battery life should be 5-7 hours using Windows 8 Pro 32bit.

Hyruga

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MS Surface will fail or at best turn in a mediocre performance.

A tablet is a tablet and a notebook is a notebook. Not much point making a two in 1 and expect a lot of people to buy.

Its like the galaxy note. Fairly decent sales but sales still lose to SGS3 phone and galaxy tab. If people (retailers or corporate companies) wants a tablet, the first thing they think of is ipad. If they want a notebook, the first thing they think of is macbook pro or budget type like hp, acer...

shokbakgoc

Master Member
Reaction score
not true that a 2 in 1 will fail. in the consumer segment maybe yes the demand will not be there because consumer use tablet for entertainment.

but if they target the enterprise/business segment, should have good demand. a tablet with iOS or Android is app based and quite limited in functions. They are good for entertainment but not for proper work. a windows based tablet can much more work.

i just bought a acer w500 iconia tablet which runs win 7 and it can do much more work than my android tablet, such as full usage of document, spreadsheet, powerpoint, database, photo processing or editing etc, while I'm moving around.

dongdong88

Reaction score
Not sure if MS Surface (ARM) will do well. Because the lack of apps is really deterring lots from switching despite several good reviews.

However, for the Pro version, there's a chance it will do well because there's no lack of apps. It's Windows on a tablet. With the keyboard, it becomes a full notebook.

It's handy for both entertainment and work.

networm

Master Member
Reaction score
MS Surface will fail or at best turn in a mediocre performance.

A tablet is a tablet and a notebook is a notebook. Not much point making a two in 1 and expect a lot of people to buy.

Its like the galaxy note. Fairly decent sales but sales still lose to SGS3 phone and galaxy tab. If people (retailers or corporate companies) wants a tablet, the first thing they think of is ipad. If they want a notebook, the first thing they think of is macbook pro or budget type like hp, acer...
i see it more as a ultrabook with touchscreen... my gut feel is that this will be the defacto standard for notebooks in 2-3 years time. imagine a powerful productivity notebook 1cm thick and 700g light. if Apple has no plans to combine the iOS with the MacOS in the near future, then I think they'll eventually return to their niche market days...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The issue now is that tablets come along because they are low in consumption and people want the portability... that was what laptops have been missing and basically MS has kind of dropped the ball of that one cos they were so intent on protecting their desktop business... but Apple changed the game with their MBA and iPad... and now if MS were to really throw all they have into the game to produce a high powered laptop with lowest possible power consumption with the ease of a high quality touch screen, I can really see Apple return to the days of old... cos at the enterprise level, MS rules... and there is a trickle down effect to the masses cos dad's going to buy what he knows from work... that is a MS tablet or laptop that doubles as a tablet... and if this Surface can function with a full OS, then it will just take the enterprise world by storm... just imagine you're a business person travelling a lot, wouldn't you like to work on the plane at 12 hours a stretch without having to charge? Without a lap warmer on you? And with a full suite of connectivity? Basically with the form factor and battery life (unknown as of now), the office becomes portable... much more portable than say a laptop cos of the higher weight and chunky charger...

soupgoblin

Reaction score
dont dismiss it as a failure because of its size and its inbetween. When ipad first came out, everyone laughed at it, wondering how it will succeed. Now look at it.

networm

Master Member
Reaction score
The issue now is that tablets come along because they are low in consumption and people want the portability... that was what laptops have been missing and basically MS has kind of dropped the ball of that one cos they were so intent on protecting their desktop business... but Apple changed the game with their MBA and iPad... and now if MS were to really throw all they have into the game to produce a high powered laptop with lowest possible power consumption with the ease of a high quality touch screen, I can really see Apple return to the days of old... cos at the enterprise level, MS rules... and there is a trickle down effect to the masses cos dad's going to buy what he knows from work... that is a MS tablet or laptop that doubles as a tablet... and if this Surface can function with a full OS, then it will just take the enterprise world by storm... just imagine you're a business person travelling a lot, wouldn't you like to work on the plane at 12 hours a stretch without having to charge? Without a lap warmer on you? And with a full suite of connectivity? Basically with the form factor and battery life (unknown as of now), the office becomes portable... much more portable than say a laptop cos of the higher weight and chunky charger...
yup... and another thing to add. Nothing comes close to MS Office. Once Microsoft "mobilises" their Office suite, I think it'll be game over for their competitors.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
The iPad will not go away immediately because at this point, Win RT is unproven.

I think what may happen is Win8 tablets will stop iPad's marketshare from going up further. If Win RT is successful, it'll be iPad & WinRT tablets dominating the market & Android tablets covering the bargain/entry-level with little profit.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.