The Spectacles Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last time when I made hoya lens, I was told that the axis can only end (right most digit) with 0 or 5, because the lab cannot be so precise, so the axis will need to round up or round down. Not sure if all brands are like that.

how can our eye axis just be 0 or 5, its from 0 to 180. For high astig, axis must be precise to the point else even a slight 1 axis degree off your whole vision is blurred. My right eye axis is 2 & they can make to the exact axis for all lens brands.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like their rubber band legs leh. They don't last?

Jialat, need to go back to Oakleys for sports wear? My current pair feels lose when I jog.

Your current pair not tagheuer? If you feel loose it may not be due to the rubber legs. Even if you use tag or oakley with rubber legs, they will feel loose if not proper fit. If your spec feels loose you can try to adjust yourself the backs of the legs twist them inwards & try again. Also see if you can get optician to adjust your nosepad high up your nose to hav sufficient support. Weight of your spec also plays a part. Oakleys are heavy & mostly inflexible so are not that comfy.

All specs should feel loose after wearing for a while, especially for frames with flexible temples. The more flexi the temples, the easier & faster they get loose. For my linkskin frame, i need to keep adjusting myself every 2 weeks just to get the "grip" back. I will bend the temples inward at a certain angle & hold the position for as long as i think is enough for the shape to go back to my required grip.

Last edited:

xiaokaka

Reaction score
Sorry but there are so many hoya lenses. Which is what? What do the different types do?

Xiaokaka can explain?

im in this trade for total of about 3 years+ only.

With the little knowledge that i have, best is for you to understand it in this way. :)

Most basic current Hoya coating :
HVP (main stream quality coating)
SFT (premium quality coating)
HV (anti reflection coat for Glass materials)

xiaokaka

Reaction score
Huh? I need to know how often they need to be replaced so that I can keep them in tip top condition, why ask if I am high end or not? If I can afford them what do you think?

Also there are many other high end more expensive frames around, if other high end frames give me less trouble, then why should I bother with troublesome frames?...you obviously have not reached a level in life where money means not having to compromise on anything, so I don't compromise and accept low quality in the name of style, avant-garde or not, so dun talk big throwing the "avante-garde style" phrase around, as a TH frame owner you think I don't know?

Theres a Tag heuer range of frames without rubber materials on the temples. Hinges close on a slanted angle. Have a look at that, prolly it might be your cup of tea.

xiaokaka

Reaction score
is there a zeiss logo on the lens ? if not, it's not a zeiss lens. your transition lens most likely made by Carl Zeiss the company, but not a zeiss lens.

If the Astig angle suay suay cut away from the lens shape.. then dont have Z logo already.

xiaokaka

Reaction score
I like their rubber band legs leh. They don't last?

Jialat, need to go back to Oakleys for sports wear? My current pair feels lose when I jog.

Tag rubbers dont last very long..

Oakley rubbers might last a tat longer..

and oakley rubbers are cheaper to change. unlike tags.

(comparasion of rubbers only!)

xiaokaka

Reaction score
Last time when I made hoya lens, I was told that the axis can only end (right most digit) with 0 or 5, because the lab cannot be so precise, so the axis will need to round up or round down. Not sure if all brands are like that.

Not true for rounding up or down. But labs edging for astig axis. if astig level are low, no difference if theres a difference within 5'.

If astig are like -3.00 ~
u prolly want it to be within 2' allowance.

Magickiller9

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@xiaokaka..

I order the frame + lens liao. 650.. =D.

I told them 1.6 Hoya SFT lens, they said ok.

But i forgotten to ask if it's normal Nulux or Nulux EP...Will i be able to tell from the lens directly?

2pm2am

Reaction score
@xiaokaka..

But i forgotten to ask if it's normal Nulux or Nulux EP...Will i be able to tell from the lens directly?

Wasted, you should have got the 1.67 SFT instead of the 1.6 since it's the same price.

don't have to ask, it will not be the nulux EP.

2pm2am

Reaction score
For those who want an eye check more comprehensive than in optical shops can try Singapore Poly's Optometry Centre (SPOC). Although the initial tests are done by final year students, the final round is done by the lecturer, a qualified optometrist. All for only $5! They will give you written prescription for new specs (some optical shops dun give you copy of prescription to keep), you can also choose to do specs at their onsite spec shop if u want. Appts can be booked online, you can Google for their website.
how long is the eye check ? unless you got lots of time to waste like 1 hour+, yes go there and have some fun and let the students practice their stuff.

it's incorrect to say that optical shops do not do a thorough job (that's depending on where you go). if you got your eyes check by an optician, most likely you just get your eye prescription check and nothing else. however if you got an optometrist, they will be able to do more thorough checks, as indicated. they will not do tests that are unnecessary. besides, it's not fun to sit there and go thru all the tests. what's most important is your concerns have been addressed by the optometrist . for example if you tell the optometrist you can't see clearly and been getting headaches, they will do the necessary tests to find out what is the likely cause of your complains.

when you visit an eye doctor, if you are lucky they spend 5 to 10 mins with you, otherwise it's less than 5 min. however, if you go to public hospitals, most likely you will see a medical doctor under training checking your eyes. they will take a longer time to check your eyes because they are inexperienced.
After reading good reviews of some Queensway optical shops in this thread, decided to check out Seng Li and AZ Optics. Seng Li staff was polite but a bit snooty & didn't seem interested to pursue business further when I was undecided during frame selection. AZ Optics on other hand was very friendly & quickly assisted me to make a choice without being pushy. Made a simple, relatively no-name specs with my high up to -8 sph and astig up to -3.25 for only $200. I went there in early afternoon and by evening was informed my specs already ready! AZ Optics gets my vote for being Triple-Friendly: People Friendly, Time Friendly and Wallet Friendly! They followed exactly the SPOC prescription and my eyes quickly adjusted to the new specs, which also speaks of the accurate skill of the SPOC optometrist.

Previously all my life had done specs at a certain "double noodle" old established shop in Bt Timah, so had no basis for comparison. My previous no-name specs was done there for $500+ some years ago, at that time thought was normal for my high power. Now I know was kena not only chop carrot but chop until like strawberry jam! Moral of story is don't stick to only one optical shop all your life.

do you know what type of lens you get from the bt timah shop as compared to the type of lens that you got from AZ ? also, the 500+ you paid is some years ago.

how can you say you kena chop when you have no basis for comparison ?
before someone say they kena chop, they have to know what they are comparing with.

Last edited:

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your current pair not tagheuer? If you feel loose it may not be due to the rubber legs. Even if you use tag or oakley with rubber legs, they will feel loose if not proper fit. If your spec feels loose you can try to adjust yourself the backs of the legs twist them inwards & try again. Also see if you can get optician to adjust your nosepad high up your nose to hav sufficient support. Weight of your spec also plays a part. Oakleys are heavy & mostly inflexible so are not that comfy.

All specs should feel loose after wearing for a while, especially for frames with flexible temples. The more flexi the temples, the easier & faster they get loose. For my linkskin frame, i need to keep adjusting myself every 2 weeks just to get the "grip" back. I will bend the temples inward at a certain angle & hold the position for as long as i think is enough for the shape to go back to my required grip.
Mine is, but isn't the sports range with rubber legs. It's the classic range.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wasted, you should have got the 1.67 SFT instead of the 1.6 since it's the same price.

don't have to ask, it will not be the nulux EP.

For me, Nulux EP is much clearer than just Nulux.

I just want to know for those people with low power, do they feel any big difference between normal nulux and nulux EP?

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
how can our eye axis just be 0 or 5, its from 0 to 180. For high astig, axis must be precise to the point else even a slight 1 axis degree off your whole vision is blurred. My right eye axis is 2 & they can make to the exact axis for all lens brands.

Not true for rounding up or down. But labs edging for astig axis. if astig level are low, no difference if theres a difference within 5'.

If astig are like -3.00 ~
u prolly want it to be within 2' allowance.

I do not mean axis is 0 or 5. Axis normally is XX, I mean the right most digit is 0 or 5. Example if the axis is 78, they will round off to 80. If the axis is 87, they will round off to 85.

Actually I did not know they round off until I see the prescription they wrote has changed from my actual one, then I ask about it why. Then they say lab cannot do until so precise so must round off. Looks like actually can be done to the exact axis, but not sure why they round off.

My astig is -1.50. Lens is Hoya 1.53 Phoenix

Last edited:

xiaokaka

Reaction score
@xiaokaka..

Nulux EP is Bi-asp. lens cost $450.

Nulux is single asp. lens cost $250.

Thickness difference and waiting time. 4~ days vs 2~ weeks

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not mean axis is 0 or 5. Axis normally is XX, I mean the right most digit is 0 or 5. Example if the axis is 78, they will round off to 80. If the axis is 87, they will round off to 85.

Actually I did not know they round off until I see the prescription they wrote has changed from my actual one, then I ask about it why. Then they say lab cannot do until so precise so must round off. Looks like actually can be done to the exact axis, but not sure why they round off.

My astig is -1.50. Lens is Hoya 1.53 Phoenix

change optician nextime.

Carnage

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nulux EP is Bi-asp. lens cost $450.

Nulux is single asp. lens cost $250.

Thickness difference and waiting time. 4~ days vs 2~ weeks

Wa why such a huge cost disparity?

EP is it can shoot out laser beam like cyclops? :s13:

xiaokaka

Reaction score
Wa why such a huge cost disparity?

EP is it can shoot out laser beam like cyclops? :s13:

Bi aspherical designs are like 'compressed thinning'

providing wider viewing angle and less distortion.

Basically its like the cream of the crop.

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to share my new pair of specs.

tired of those formal looking specs so decided to try out such specs for a change. gonna need some time to get used to. but i like the way it makes me look more lively.

svujn.jpg

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to share my new pair of specs.

tired of those formal looking specs so decided to try out such specs for a change. gonna need some time to get used to. but i like the way it makes me look more lively.

svujn.jpg

nice leh. looks fashionable. my gucci specs in comparison look too subtle. even my frens say they dun noe i am wearing gucci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.