Seriously. anyone entered uni from a local poly? can post results?

KeaneLJC

Master Member
Reaction score
One senior who graduated in 2010 got into NUS YLLSoM with 3.987 - he was really exceptional, not only academic-wise.

Another senior who graduated in 2011 got into NUS YLLSoM with 3.90-3.95 - was in FYP group that helped Dr Tan Eng Lee invent the world-class HFMD Detector.

In the same year of 2011, one of the students managed to get into NUS Pharmacy with 3.83. I'm not so sure about other achievements though.

Well, I'm a Year 2 going Year 3 from Diploma in Biomedical Sciences from SP. So it ain't impossible to get into Uni from a Local Poly. NUS is typically tougher to get in as they require students to enrol with GPA of at least 3.7, or 3.9 to keep it safe. As for NTU, they are more lenient and approximately 3.3 is sufficient - 3.6. to keep it safe.

Good luck fellow Polytechnic peeps!

polariseye

Reaction score
One senior who graduated in 2010 got into NUS YLLSoM with 3.987 - he was really exceptional, not only academic-wise.

Another senior who graduated in 2011 got into NUS YLLSoM with 3.90-3.95 - was in FYP group that helped Dr Tan Eng Lee invent the world-class HFMD Detector.

In the same year of 2011, one of the students managed to get into NUS Pharmacy with 3.83. I'm not so sure about other achievements though.

Well, I'm a Year 2 going Year 3 from Diploma in Biomedical Sciences from SP. So it ain't impossible to get into Uni from a Local Poly. NUS is typically tougher to get in as they require students to enrol with GPA of at least 3.7, or 3.9 to keep it safe. As for NTU, they are more lenient and approximately 3.3 is sufficient - 3.6. to keep it safe.

Good luck fellow Polytechnic peeps!

Wah Elit liao

lim.peh

Reaction score
yup, my friend went to edinburgh with a local diploma. her gpa was ard 3.0 and she got one year off. actually going to overseas uni with local diploma is easier than going to local uni, plus you will get exemptions cos overseas uni recognise poly modules. most cases you get one year off, some will give two years. or if you wanna go to america, you will get credits off.
does she have a scholarship?

bugmenot45

Reaction score

MrBenCai

Reaction score
As requested

Republic Polytechnic
Diploma with Business Computing
3.48 GPA

I am posting here so that those who believed that RP students are disadvantaged when entering local university can be encouraged to know that it is not true.

I am currently in NTU taking Computer Engineering with Business Minor, however, I have dropped my minor because I intend to pursue MBA afterwards anyway so that I can focus on my major. Exempted for a year so completing in three years time.

My advice to those studying in Polytechnic now is:
1. Think independent, seek value, not results. Focus on your learning and not simply the marks you get for your results. This will ensure that you survive in the long run and develop you as an all rounded person. No one likes to hire a smart but don't know how to work in team person for an instance. Develop as a person, develop your character, gain life skills, make mistakes, make them now. It is better than making them later.

2. If you are in Republic Polytechnic, do not believe in what others say about the school without thinking it through. I entered Republic with a score of 12/15 points for O levels. It was my first choice. I entered RP because I believed in the system, I believed what I saw and my intuition. I took a risk and taking calculated risk is important in life. I am not sure if it is still what I have went through now, but a lot of things that people say are not true. They say it because they have not done it themselves. I have done it and I have made it and proved people wrong.

3.If you plan to enter University, starting now, you should learn everything as much as possible because it will help you in your University. It is super competitive in local university. I have heard of top scorers from Polytechnic struggle very hard to stay afloat. It is a different game at all. Learn for the sake of learning, not for the sake of getting the marks.

Hope this helps and please PM me if you need any help.

regards,
MrBenCai

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
Republic Polytechnic
Diploma with Business Computing
3.48 GPA

I am posting here so that those who believed that RP students are disadvantaged when entering local university can be encouraged to know that it is not true.

I am currently in NTU taking Computer Engineering with Business Minor, however, I have dropped my minor because I intend to pursue MBA afterwards anyway so that I can focus on my major. Exempted for a year so completing in three years time.

My advice to those studying in Polytechnic now is:
1. Think independent, seek value, not results. Focus on your learning and not simply the marks you get for your results. This will ensure that you survive in the long run and develop you as an all rounded person. No one likes to hire a smart but don't know how to work in team person for an instance. Develop as a person, develop your character, gain life skills, make mistakes, make them now. It is better than making them later.

2. If you are in Republic Polytechnic, do not believe in what others say about the school without thinking it through. I entered Republic with a score of 12/15 points for O levels. It was my first choice. I entered RP because I believed in the system, I believed what I saw and my intuition. I took a risk and taking calculated risk is important in life. I am not sure if it is still what I have went through now, but a lot of things that people say are not true. They say it because they have not done it themselves. I have done it and I have made it and proved people wrong.

3.If you plan to enter University, starting now, you should learn everything as much as possible because it will help you in your University. It is super competitive in local university. I have heard of top scorers from Polytechnic struggle very hard to stay afloat. It is a different game at all. Learn for the sake of learning, not for the sake of getting the marks.

Hope this helps and please PM me if you need any help.

regards,
MrBenCai

Anyway the system in RP has changed a lot. do u know that there wasnt a GPA system in place. Therefore, it was extremely hard for the first few batch of RP graduates to get into local uni.

And I totally agree with ur 3rd point raised. But seriously no point telling them coz they have not step into uni and wont be able to understand the experience that we have gone through.

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3.51 didn't get in any of the "you know which 3 uni"

Bad o levels, no cca.

However there is 1 foreigner beside me gpa 3.48 no cca afaik but took part in a microsoft competition (I think is code extreme) he got into NTU.

So try to participate in those coding challenge (assuming going to study in computer sci, comp eng)

Yawn back to work , programming is tiring.

Edit: My experience was last year's intake.

messier

Reaction score
3.51 didn't get in any of the "you know which 3 uni"

Bad o levels, no cca.

However there is 1 foreigner beside me gpa 3.48 no cca afaik but took part in a microsoft competition (I think is code extreme) he got into NTU.

So try to participate in those coding challenge (assuming going to study in computer sci, comp eng)

Yawn back to work , programming is tiring.

Edit: My experience was last year's intake.

I predict my GPA would be somewhere around yours.
Mind sharing what course did you apply for?

I'm considering re-taking certain O level subjects as I heard that O levels has 20% of the admission requirement. Add. Maths would help a lot as well especially when applying for engineering course.

Revalina

Reaction score
Start of year 3 already... Current GPA: 3.42(dip in BizIT). Heard there is a new degree in business analytics at NUS? Anyone got accepted there?

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I applied for comp sci, comp engg, information systems all computer related course from the "3 uni" 3.51 is not easy to get in.

@revalina

3.42 not easy to get in...infact 3.42 will have like 0% chance to go uni unless you are lucky..but you still have last sem to try to pull you up (you calculated even when you do very well this sem what is the max you can get?)

You might want to read the degree forum. Some people with 3.6-3.7 also have trouble getting in uni.

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
still have to give it a try :)

last sem any competition or something? try to take part in it and get a cert also "try" to friend friend your lecturer maybe can get recommendation letter...might not work but every little thing helps.

If not i'll say private uni are also a good choice. I am at unisim and I can tell you so far the lecturers I met in the pass sem (4mths +) are really solid in teaching.
They might not be the high flying "professors" in local uni but imo it is not bad.

feelishohright

Reaction score
Important thing is to have CCA involvement if results are not good enough. Even better if it's leadership positions. Or try clubs out of school, like volunteers etc.

If not can take some time off to work and get employers' recommendations.

TTF1986

Reaction score
CPA 3.7 Poly

WITH a CPA of 3.6, I managed to gain entry into a local (i.e. SMU/NTU). But, I was devastated as no financial assistance was given when I was in need. Totally disappointed with the system. They are more border on the foreign students.

Consequently, I need to start work prior to going on with my degree. Hence, I have no choice but to give up the placement in a local university. Upon an successfully job application, I move with a diploma position, and recently I have just completed my degree with SIM instead.

Footnote: glad that I have completed my degree with SIM, it is definitely a better choice:)

Weaboo

Honorary Member
Reaction score
WITH a CPA of 3.6, I managed to gain entry into a local (i.e. SMU/NTU). But, I was devastated as no financial assistance was given when I was in need. Totally disappointed with the system. They are more border on the foreign students.

Consequently, I need to start work prior to going on with my degree. Hence, I have no choice but to give up the placement in a local university. Upon an successfully job application, I move with a diploma position, and recently I have just completed my degree with SIM instead.

Footnote: glad that I have completed my degree with SIM, it is definitely a better choice:)

y bo study loan?

kaisin82

Reaction score
If o levels English fail,L1R4-17, no cca in poly. poly gpa 3.9, possible to get into ntu civil engine? Anyone tried or know?

Last edited:

Wonderstruck

Reaction score
For SP is
Distinction = 4.0
A = 4.0
B+ = 3.5
B = 3.0
C+ = 2.5
C = 2.0

Shan't talk about the rest, you should not be getting below those.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.