N7105 Root and custom rom flashing tutorial (R&D stage)

Reaction score
N7105 Root Tutorial and Custom Rom Discussion

N7105 Rooting Guide and Flashing Discussion

Disclaimer
This guide which you are about to use is based on N7100 and not N7105l! It has worked for my N7105 and it should theoretically work for all N7l05s but there's still a chance that it might not work for yours! I can't stress this enough: I am not responsible if anything bad should happen to your phone as a result of rooting or flashing after reading this. You have been warned. If you do not know what is root, allow me to stop you and ask you to leave. The last thing I wanna do is to be irresponsible and tell you that rooting is safe, much less with an exploit meant for a different phone model. Rooting does present the user with multitudes of improvements in control of your device but the slightest mistake can turn your device into a paper weight and Samsung will be happy to deny you warranty or support. Do some research, weight the pros and cons. If you still wanna root and bricking does not deter you, I humbly welcome you to an amazing world of root for N7105 Galaxy Note 2!

1.0 HOW TO ROOT

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Download Odin through here http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1395789&d=1350050287
- Download CF-auto-root through here http://download.chainfire.eu/217/CF-Root/SGN2/CF-Auto-Root-SGN2.zip?retrieve_file=1
- Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-SGN2 file
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-SGN2.tar
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold volume-down + home + power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

2.0 Flashing CWM
-Please dun make me tell you the difference between CWM and root.
- Download CWM-recovery through here: https://hotfile.com/dl/176065007/332cffb/cwm6-recovery-n7100-121014.tar.html
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select "cwm6-recovery-n7100-121014"
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold volume-down + home + power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- Click the Start button
- Done

3.0 Flashing back to stock
In case your Note 2 spoil, you can use this guide to reset everything to stock (unroot if you will)! Note: This part of the guide is only for people who have rooted their phones. Please, if you did not root the phone, there is no need for you to do this step! If you need this step, I highly recommend doing a nandriod backup first then wipe everything! Or at least use Titanium backup to backup all your apps before unrooting. THIS STEP WILL WIPE EVERYTHING!
3.1 Using triangle away
-Download Triangle Away here: Traingle Away
-I highly recommend downloading from Google Play and paying 3 buck for this excellent software here: Triangle Away - Google Play. This is essentially the same thing as above only that this needs to pay. If you have downloaded the one above, there is no need to download this one.
-hit continue/download until you reach the main page.
-hit "reset flash counter"
-hit continue
-wait for device to reboot
-press "volume up" hardware button on the phone
-wait for device to reboot
-There you go, device counter has been reset to 0
-to verify, go to download mode (turn off phone, then hold volume-down + home + power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
-Note: under settings>about>status, device will still show modified. Do not worry the next part will eliminate this.

3.2 Flashing of stock firmware
-Download Stock Firmware: N7105XXALJ3
- Extract file ONCE.
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select the extracted file
- Click the Start button
- Done

As I have not done this step before, I do not know id the status of the phone will still show modified or not. Please PM me if status of phone does not show modified after unrooting and flashing back to stock firmware.

HOW TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMs?
No, not at the moment. But there are promising projects out there that indicates custom rom availability. I will test them out and include a guide here only if everything works.

Credits and References
[2012.10.12][GT-N7100] CF-Auto-Root v1.0 - xda-developers
CWM RECOVERY 6.0.1.5 for N7100(2012/10/14) - xda-developers

F.A.Q
-"is CWM the same as root?"
No they are not the same. Root unlocks several features that manufacturers or even google themselves thinks consumers don't need. But who are they to decide? CWM adds features in your recovery. E.g. Nandriod backup. Look up information....ask around even if you have the slightest bit of uncertainty. YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. SAMSUNG MIGHT NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY FOR BRICKED PHONES CAUSED BY ROOTING OR FLASHING. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS ROOT, YOU PROBABLY DON'T NEED IT.

-"Can I install roms from XDA?"
All XDA roms are to be straight-away assumed to be only for N7100 use unless specifically stated otherwise. If u flash a rom which is intended to be used by N7100, your phone signals will be gone. Phone calls, messaging, data transfers all gone.

-"I know I shouldn't flash a N7100 custom rom on my N7105 but I am too stubborn to heed advices in this forum and I flashed the rom anyway. Now that my phone signals are gone what can I do?"
Follow pointer 3.0. This wipes EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
When you have the auto off problem is it only after flashing a ROM? Or root got this problem liao?

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not going to try custom roms just yet.
see how long i can tahan lol.

will use root and do the multiwindow app mod only.

Reaction score

No need to do multi Window mod. Multi window is already activated.

edit: multi-wondow app mod. I see.... didn't read properly...haha

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
Okay, just rooted, Titanium Backup also running. :D

Reaction score
Waiting for my stock rom to be downloaded so that I can get my modem back. Haha. In the meantime, play with my broken note 2....lol.

ProGamer84

Banned
Reaction score
so fast ppls roots the phone.. what happen set got problem den need to bring to service? lol...

Chevalier

Master Member
Reaction score
why come into a root and custom rom thread to ask why we root???

how many of us use chat on? i dont :p i delete.......how? titanium backup

delete all those bloatware not used....etc....tittanium backup!

flash a mod to add functionality?? like adding apps to the multiwindow function???

ROOOT!!!!

ProGamer84

Banned
Reaction score
too bad.. i am very noob. dunno how to root... hope someone Bros here can help me root my phone...

Vulpix

Reaction score
too bad.. i am very noob. dunno how to root... hope someone Bros here can help me root my phone...

Before you root, please ask yourself why you want to root. Don't root for the sake of rooting. :) The instructions in the first post is already super dummy proof. If it's still too hard for you to follow, please do not risk your phone.

xXS1Xx

Reaction score

Hi sorry a newbie here, just changed from iphone to note 2. :D
May i ask if that multiwindow app mod allows you to use other apps(whatsapp.etc) besides the default ones?
If so, can you provide a link and teach me how to go about doing it?
Thanks in advance. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.