Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakhub

Reaction score
Thanks for the review Chiach. This is my experience.

Got mine from Natural Cool
Mitsubishi MXY-3A28VA / MSY-GE10VAx3 =$3099 [$2899 after Less S$200/- discount] inclusive of upgraded materials;
Remove old system & Trade-in $50
Total paid is $2849/-.

When the 2 technicians came I noticed that they were not from Natural Cool. So I believe that Natural Cool outsource the installation work. They came at 2 p.m. and left at 6 p.m. In 4 hours they dismantled my old National System 3 and removed all the trunkings, copper pipes and drainage pipes (except the drainage pipes at the air-con ledge which were reused) and installed the new system.

I noticed that they did not use any pipe bender to bend the copper pipes when installing. They in fact put the insulation through the copper pipes outside my house and then came in and slot it into the trunkings and bend it by hand.

I also noticed that they used 3C x 40 wires from the power switch at the air-con ledge to the air-con compressor. I understand that from reading the forums they are supposed to use 3C x 70 for the wire to the compressor while from blower to compressor 3C x 40 is fine.

So far no issues with the installation but I think they did a rush job so I’m kind off worried that after sometime the problems might show up.

These are my issues with the installation:
- Not removing the drainage pipes at the air-con ledge leading to the toilet about 3 meters distance in all. My old pipes have been in use for 12.5 years.
- Using 3C x 40 wire instead of 3C x 70 wire from power point to compressor.
- Re-using the old rubber shoes from my old air-con to fix on to the new one.
- They also did not top-up any gas into the pipes and did not use anything to weld the connections. Is it supposed to be like that.

Terumo, do you think I should take this up with Natural Cool.

Just sharing my experience so that those who install air-cons will know what to expect during installation.

oakhub

Reaction score
to Oakhub :

I bought from GC during the GetIT show @Expo end Sept'12 ME Sys 3 inverter :
1. MXY3A28VA x1
2. MSYGE10VA x2
3. MSYGE13VA x1

Price : $3039 ($2989 if you replace MSYGE13VA with MSYGE10VA) + $ 150 bracket + Dismantle/trade in. 3/8" Armaflex + G23 copper pipe. I did not want the upgrade to 1/2" insulation ($180). 1 year manufacturer warranty + 4 yrs extended warranty (by GC : All indoor + outdoor unit mechanical + electronic parts excl remote control and outer plastic+removal plastic part of the indoor unit ) + 3 yrs GC installation warranty (need to go GC website to register to get this Installation warranty). Condition : unauthorised repair or service render warranty null n void etc....

Experience : Good with the sales but bad with the installation technician. Technician did not make big enough wall opening size. Insulation tube was forced thru the rough edge of the wall causing torn surface on abt 2m length. Technician kept saying it was fine. Only upon my insistence that he changed the tube. Insulation are also compressed at this tight wall opening. OWNER BEWARE!!!!!

Terumo, I did not check if technician did a thorough replacement for every inch of torn insulation surface. So far, room temperature in 3 rooms is satisfactory and no condensation or water leak at any part of the trunking in the past 2 wks . But I am worry about condensation at the compressed and torn surface. Had complained to GC. Any advice and comment on detection and estimate how long should I monitor before I can safely say that condensation is not going to be a problem. Thank you in advance.

Other info to share : Power consumption (purely Air-cond usage) drop by close to 50% after I replaced my 15 yrs old National Sys 3 non inverter to ME Sys 3 inverter. [10 kWhr to 5 kWhr for 2 rooms turn on from ~8 pm to ~7 am]

Yup mine also same. The insulations were also damaged when they pulled it through the wall holes. But was not too bad. I'll check my power consumption after 10 days and let you know.

chiach

Reaction score
hi terumo, except the power point, everything else is new including the PVC trunking. GC technician did use pipe bender for all bending corner and increase gradient of drainage pipe as compare to my old drainage pipe installation.

RoLanTo

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

need some reccomendation, if i only want to install 1 aircon in the master bed room.. what brand or type of unit (window/casement) is recommended?

terumo

Reaction score
To chiach,

If they change all the PVC trunking, then most likely they change all the piping/insulation too.

terumo

Reaction score
to Rolanto,

If possible, use those wall mounted type aircon will be better.
Window/casement aircon consume high amount of energy.

chiach

Reaction score
hi, terumo, what I meant was the damage of insulation happened during laying of new piping and insulation after the new PVC trunking is put in place. GC technician forced the insulation thru wall opening. I asked the tech to change the damage portion. I hope he did a good job replacing the damaged insulation. The question is usually for how long should I monitor to confirm there will be no condensation problem? One more question I forgot to ask: Is it normal that the big and small pipe are put together inside the same insulation tubing about~0.5m-0.7m length nearer to the indoor units? The rest of the length all the way to outdoor unit are in split insulation. Wouldn't the hot pipe cool down the cold pipe and slow down the cooling?

ken_ng78

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking Mit / Pana / Daikin / Midea system 4 inverter + Installation. Any bro can advice which shop selling lowest price... Thanks

terumo

Reaction score
To Chiach,

The 2 pipes are join in 1 insulation near the indoor units as there is not much space below the indoor units. This is normal and both pipes are cool.
Last time (old models) then one pipe is hot, one pipe is cold.

How many months warranty the company provide?

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all,

my air con tech just came to install piping and insulation.

i requested for 3/4" insulation.

However, i realised that the insulation is 3/4" when it is running through the ceiling boards. however, at the last part where it joins to the blower unit, the insulation tube is changed to 1/2". the installer said this is normal because 3/4" tube is too big to fit to the blower unit. can i confirm if this is correcT?

winter85

Reaction score
Hi need some advise, my MBR blower unit yesterday started blowing normal air instead of cold air. Went to do some research online and tested all my blowers and the outdoor unit. The outdoor unit's will hum and shuts off after 5 sec when i switch my MBR blower unit on but for my other blower the outdoor unit will operate normally and blows cold air. So it could be capacitor or compressor.

Today got a aircon repair company to come down check and he tested by changing capacitor and the problem persist and concluded that the compressor for the MBR blower gone case need to change.

Here is the advise i need. The tech told me my (coming 3yr old) samsung sys compressor has 5 year compressor warranty but samsung will carrot me on the labour and transportation charges even though compressor free.

So what wanted to know how much probably samsung will carrot me and whether are there other alternatives such as repair company changing the compressor or whether changing the outdoor unit or buying recon?

Hope to keep the price / cost down, budget quite tight. Thanks in advance!

terumo

Reaction score
to winter85, call Samsung and enquire about pricing first.
If under compressor warranty, call the agent first.

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice on what to look out for when arranging for 2 trip installation.

Is it crucial to ensure that the exposed openings for the pipes are free of dust and contaminants?

If yes, What are the steps to be take to do this protection?

Is it advisable to have 2 drain pipes for System 3 instead of 1? (1 drain pipe for the MBR unit and 1 for the 2 units operating at the other 2 rooms?

Thanks!

terumo

Reaction score
The exposed piping usually they will tape it up.
So no worries.

The drain pipes, if have 2 will be more ideal, if possible.

leongheng70

Reaction score
hi, currently i have a system 4, but now for one of the room thatg is not aircon, we need to install one, so you think i can install a single unit, thus if yes i would have 2 compressor on the aircon ledge, can the ledge support it ?

Also possoible to recommend a good aircon man to install and buy from ?

Thanks

terumo

Reaction score
To install 2 compressor in the same house/flat will depends on the type of location u r staying in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.