Windows 8 Pro US$39.99 Experience - Clean Install? Non Legit Win 7? All Answered.

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate. I've documented the entire experience here:
thoughts » Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Experience

2 popular questions also answered:
  • Can you use the US$39.99 offer to upgrade from a non legit (i.e. cracked/use daz loader/illegal) version of Windows 7?
  • Can you use the US$39.99 offer to install Windows 8 Pro on a system with no OS?

Hope this post helps upgraders. :)

ok, i can confirm what my buddy experimented :
he was going to install on his second pc (with second set of keys of cos) ...
1) re-used ISO downloaded previously via microsoft - yes
2) option selected during purchase - Keep Nothing
3) Installed on "new" hdd (old, but reformatted prior to Windows 8 Boot DVD [ie HDD reformatting wasn't done during or by Win8 Boot DVD = New Partion-less HDD - YES, can, successful

For those who have trouble activating a clean install. (I've heard some success and some failure, I have had 2 successes on my end so far).

Apparently, this legit Windows 7 trick works for Windows 8:
Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible?
Activate Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Windows 8 users who noticed that the operating system can’t be activated after the installation may want to try the following workaround that worked to activate when installing Windows 7 using an upgrade on a clean PC.

Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
Reboot Windows now.
Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.

Last edited:

kingtrade

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate. I've documented the entire experience here:
thoughts » Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Experience

2 popular questions also answered:
  • Can you use the US$39.99 offer to upgrade from a non legit (i.e. cracked/use daz loader/illegal) version of Windows 7?
  • Can you use the US$39.99 offer to install Windows 8 Pro on a system with no OS?

Hope this post helps upgraders. :)

Thanks for the great post

SimonLam

Reaction score
Nice Post! I am also moving from my Windows 7 Ultimate. Buy first talk later

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
any1 can confirm?
if true no need to buy full version already.

Ok let me clarify. You cannnot just build a PC and use the US$39.99. Why? Because the US$39.99 offer requires this thing called the Upgrade Assistant.

The Upgrade Assistant runs on an existing version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) and all it does is 2 things:
  1. Let you purchase a full product key after checking your current license (and also app compatibility in case you want to do an upgrade without wiping)
  2. Let you download Windows 8 Pro RTM ISO Image (which you can BT it if you want, same thing)

So, the Upgrade Assistant is your door to a Product Key. After you got the key, you can go do a clean install which is what I did.

Last edited:

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
Also, I have no idea why would ppl choose boxed copy over online download (unless no internet access). It's cheaper to get it online and more convenient as well. Also, this route already tested by me haha.

WestGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Also, I have no idea why would ppl choose boxed copy over online download (unless no internet access). It's cheaper to get it online and more convenient as well. Also, this route already tested by me haha.

Simply because a boxed copy is more worth it. A digital download costs S$49. A retail box costs $79 now with a free printer worth $79 (and of course both 32 bit and 64 bit discs). I sold off my printer for $60 already and i purchased my copy at $49 from the launch event at Funan with a lot of freebies

Reaction score
Also, non legit copies of Windows 7 activated via SLIC injection qualifies for the upgrade. I encourage people who have been using non legit copies of Windows 7 to take advantage of the US$39.99 offer to convert to a legit copy of Windows 8. It’s really cheap for a fully featured OS.

Can the non legit copy of Windows 7 thru other means able to be converted to legit copy of win 8?

Jas007

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok let me clarify. You cannnot just build a PC and use the US$39.99. Why? Because the US$39.99 offer requires this thing called the Upgrade Assistant.

The Upgrade Assistant runs on an existing version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) and all it does is 2 things:
  1. Let you purchase a full product key after checking your current license (and also app compatibility in case you want to do an upgrade without wiping)
  2. Let you download Windows 8 Pro RTM ISO Image (which you can BT it if you want, same thing)

So, the Upgrade Assistant is your door to a Product Key. After you got the key, you can go do a clean install which is what I did.

can confirm this for me pls :

i ran the Upgrade Assistant on my old P4 system, and it seems to allow me to go ahead with the $39.99US purchase ...

can i download, and then burn it onto a DVD, keep it and then use it when i build a new pc (not pre-installed with any OS) ?

TIA

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
can confirm this for me pls :

i ran the Upgrade Assistant on my old P4 system, and it seems to allow me to go ahead with the $39.99US purchase ...

can i download, and then burn it onto a DVD, keep it and then use it when i build a new pc (not pre-installed with any OS) ?

TIA

I cannot confirm this. What I understand is you want to get a license on your P4 PC and then use it on another PC. In theory it should work but I've not tested it so I can't confirm it.

All I have been doing with my systems are clean installs on the same system.

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
Simply because a boxed copy is more worth it. A digital download costs S$49. A retail box costs $79 now with a free printer worth $79 (and of course both 32 bit and 64 bit discs). I sold off my printer for $60 already and i purchased my copy at $49 from the launch event at Funan with a lot of freebies

I believe that is the Members event for Challenger. Me not a member. :s22:

If no freebies not worth it. Of course with those freebies is damn worth it! Congrats!

PurpleLightning

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
did this happen to you junialum?

"So far so good, there was no sign of any issues, and we were able to run Windows update and navigate the web. Live tiles began updating as they were supposed to, and it looked like online reports of the boxed copy working were correct.

Deciding to push our luck, we activated the operating system. This was the point where we first encountered problems – we were asked to re-enter our product key (a sure sign that something was up), and once we did this an error message popped up telling us that the software could only be used for upgrading, not clean installation."

from: Boxed copies of Windows 8 Pro do not work for clean installs - PC & Tech Authority

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
did this happen to you junialum?

"So far so good, there was no sign of any issues, and we were able to run Windows update and navigate the web. Live tiles began updating as they were supposed to, and it looked like online reports of the boxed copy working were correct.

Deciding to push our luck, we activated the operating system. This was the point where we first encountered problems – we were asked to re-enter our product key (a sure sign that something was up), and once we did this an error message popped up telling us that the software could only be used for upgrading, not clean installation."

from: Boxed copies of Windows 8 Pro do not work for clean installs - PC & Tech Authority

It did not happen to me basically because I wasn't using a boxed copy. There are 2 ways to obtain Windows Pro 8 Upgrade. Either online via windows.com (US$39.99) or via a boxed copy (US$69.99, local prices also have some offer i think)

Mine was online and after finishing the installation, Windows was automatically activated. In fact, on my first system I tested it out twice, both with the same result - instant activation.

First was an upgrade doing the 'Keep Nothing' option. I initially thought that was a clean install. Instantly activated, 0 hiccups.

Second, I realized that 'Keep Nothing' is not a clean install so I booted up from the DVD that I burned (when you buy the upgrade online, the Upgrade Assistant allows you to burn a copy) and installed it like as if it was a brand new system. I deleted my Windows 7 partitions and then recreated a new one for Windows 8 and formatted. Also instantly activated, 0 hiccups.

shachok86

Reaction score
Seems like need existing win 7 on hdd before doing clean install. When i wipe my ssd before installing win 8, the cd key wun activate. After re installing win 7, use usb stick to install win 8 and delete the win 7 partition, the activation works.

Jas007

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like need existing win 7 on hdd before doing clean install. When i wipe my ssd before installing win 8, the cd key wun activate. After re installing win 7, use usb stick to install win 8 and delete the win 7 partition, the activation works.

was your Windows 8 via the US$39.99 route too ?

TiOnGSquare

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

so is can clean install using the S49.90 copy one bo :eek:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.