Audio Technica Appreciation Thread

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a question, the ATH cables vs normal cables no diff rite??? :s11:

Hey LBBEF. :) Uh that is a very hypothetical question directed at me haha, in all honesty I can't say I'm really into all these cables hype/snake oil thingy, cos I have never spent alot of money on high-end cables or power supply connectivity, however I do acknowledge and know they do mean something for audiophiles, and I have also personally encounter some discernable differences when I changed and used better made/more exp interconnects for my portable stuffs.

For Audio-technica wise, afaik their interconnects family are typically split into 3 groups, Goldlink Basic, Goldlink Fine and Artlink series. Goldlink Basic/Goldlink Fine generally covers their main consumer line-up for audio/video cables accessories, then their Artlink stuffs are usually catered for those high-end audio enthusiasts. When I say their cable prices are usually quite economic wallet-friendly, I'm only referring to their Goldlink series. But if you were to take a look at their high-end Artlink stuffs such as this digital coaxial cable, I would say their retail prices do come very close to most Oyaide/Acoustic Revive stuffs, which are also quite prominent japanese makers when it comes to high-end cable interconnects made for audio.

From what I can make out from their japanese description for the above AT-RD5000 as an example, they have built-in Hanenite damping for the cables. Hanenite is a rubber-based damping material with superlative anti-resonance properties, but I don't think Hanenite is a Audio-technica trademark owned by them, prolly they were made by some well-known japanese factories as Google came out with some results for Hanenite made by some well-known japanese rubber factories.

The conductor wires inside their Artlink series is also pure silver OFC, with Brass + Rhodium plating on the plugs themselves and according to my basic understanding of the metals industry last time, usually metal alloys like copper/brass are always usually much more expensive than stuffs like aluminium, copper and brass material also usually acts as very good electrical insulators so I guess the streets prices for these Artlink interconnects reflects pretty much its qualities.

So if you want a direct answer from me, nope I don't think ATH cables are just like any other tom, dick or harry cables. They know their stuffs well and if you prefer typical mainstream stuffs, you go for their cheaper Goldlink series cables, if you are loaded and don't mind splurging on higher-quality made cables (interconnect cables for your audio setup are usually meant to last quite long anyways, doubt anyone will change that often) then you may invest in their Artlink series.

I'm just a peasant myself, so far I have only bought their Goldlink Fine series interconnects for my desktop audio/PS3 stuffs. While I do yearn for higher-end quality audio like many others, like what they usually say one must live within one's limits. :)

postfix79

Reaction score
@haonan: Thanks for your views on 陳潔麗. When I first heard it, I also surprise too. Now, looks like I wanna find some chance to try the AD1000 :)

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@postfix79: No problem. Thks for spreading female vocal poison on me, now need to save up more money for quality CDs liao. :s13: I believe Stereo do carry the AD1000/AD2000 series, just kindly take note there's still some slight differences in them in regards to comfort fit/treble signature, Headfonia has a pretty descriptive summary of most AD series released so far so can just google yrself.

I have to also mention that anything below AD1000PRM (meaning only the AD1k PRM/AD2k and their newest AD2000X flagship) typically their AD series do not come with Permendur used for the magnetic circuitry for its drivers. If you do not understand what is Permendur, feel free to take a look at AudioUltima or Feastrex websites as they have quite a brief description regarding these materials usually used in ATH's higher-end headphone line-up. (iirc Permendur was also used in the 50th's Anni W3000ANV and their wood flagship W5000, but not in other W series so far)

These materials are usually not cheap and are considered highly permeable magnetic materials and more efficient than low-carbon steel used in some consumer-based speaker voicecoils, as mentioned by AudioUltima there's not much companies using Permendur in their drivers, even in JP I seem to only find companies like Sumitomo Metal Industries/Tohoku Steel mainly manufacturing Permendur, so I guess due to high cost/high manufacturing demands that's why TOTL ATH headphones that uses Permendur are quite expensive.

@weng: For yr this kind loaded one, you can just go walk ard Adelphi, buy those expensive cable interconnects they usually sell can liao. I believe ATH's Goldlink/Artlink series are really considered peanuts to you, so since I don't see you have much love for their gears, don't see why you would be interested in their cables mainly. Like what Randius mentioned, local availability is also pretty scarce usually ard here so it's hard to purchase them yrself even if u're interested. :o

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@weng: For yr this kind loaded one, you can just go walk ard Adelphi, buy those expensive cable interconnects they usually sell can liao. I believe ATH's Goldlink/Artlink series are really considered peanuts to you, so since I don't see you have much love for their gears, don't see why you would be interested in their cables mainly. Like what Randius mentioned, local availability is also pretty scarce usually ard here so it's hard to purchase them yrself even if u're interested. :o

don't like that leh... I also very budget conscious one :o... my cables also not those very ex kind :o

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
Was originally lusting after the Sieveking Sound Omega that I saw once from bro Guan22's setup pics that he had shared under post yr rig thread, that one was quite poisonous but after I found out abt the price, my wallet gave me the middle finger so NG I guess... :s13:

So paiseh... Mine is chiong one. Looks like the Sieveking stand but only costs $70. But it look so beautiful and fulfilled its duty while it was here.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Guan22: Ah serious ah? Sieveking stands still got chiong one?! Amazing lol. Mind sharing where to hoot those chiong ones? But is the build quality sturdy/living up to your expectations?

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
@Guan22: Ah serious ah? Sieveking stands still got chiong one?! Amazing lol. Mind sharing where to hoot those chiong ones? But is the build quality sturdy/living up to your expectations?

LOL... Yeap, got it from a chap who got extras from HK.

Built quality is good. Some blemishes on the wood, but it's inherent, so cannot be faulted. Functioned brilliantly. And quite a piece of art too.

:D

Reaction score
@Haonan: Ah i see... I've always believed that better quality cables would have features to reduce interference etc... I guess I'll have a look at their cables next time (=

But with my current gear, the only cables I'd need is only the 3.5mm to 3.5mm (= :s13:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Guan22: Jin envious, got chio and sturdy chiong-ed Sieveking stands to own. Yeah I gotta agree Sieveking's stands are quite arty farty in terms of design which was why they managed to captivate me in the first place, but I just cannot get over the price barrier for the original ones for something that just simply stays in my room, for decorative purposes even though these accessories are meant to compliment my headphones.

Oh well, will just keep my options open then. If still cannot find any nice headphones stands by the time I get those AD2000X, I may just buy those HPS550 or Stax's HPS-2 to go with my ATH headphones at home lol. :o

@LBBEF: ATH's Artlink series interconnects do have anti-interference/anti-vibration properties, it's that Hanenite rubber damping materials used for their cabling as mentioned in my prev post. I believe other cable makers out there also got their own ways to prevent interference/vibrations from external factors, but I think rather than splurging too much on cable hype/snake oil, I rather u spend more money on investing a proper external DAC source first or integrated DAC/amp, then go focus more on cable upgrades if you wish to push more potential/juice out of yr current setup.

Be it in terms of desktop or portable setup, I always try to look at my hardware source first as utmost piority, followed by my headphones then cables interconnects. Music source is impt as well, but I'm quite sure you don't need me to educate you on that, as there are alrdy lotsa resources avail on Head-fi if you wish to research further on that topic. Cheers! :)

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But with my current gear, the only cables I'd need is only the 3.5mm to 3.5mm (= :s13:

Oh, I forgotten abt something. Adelphi got some shops selling Oyaide based 3.5mm mini to mini interconnects which I believe can be found at Audio Basic, shorter length ones I believe is under 100 dollars or so the last I check. Oyaide stuffs are usually quite reliable, before I moved up to Mutou ones for my current portable rig I was also using Oyaide HPC series myself. Their plugs got Gold/Rhodium plating ones, but of course pricing will vary according. Build quality is top notch and thickness is just nice, so perhaps you can go take a look and consider their interconnects if you are still searching for one.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
General gauge for $$ spent on cables is about 10-20% of hardware cost. Better cables don't really improve the sound. It's just that you are getting a little closer to 100% only. But like all things, there is always the law of diminishing returns. Just don't spend too out-of-proportion.

Last edited:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
General gauge for $$ spent on cables is about 10-20% of hardware cost. Better cables don't really improve the sound. It's just that you are getting a little closer to 100% only. But like all things, there is always the law of diminishing returns. Just don't spend too out-of-proportion.

Thks for sharing weng, but to be frank I don't practise that theory myself. :) I just try to spend within my limits, but it's true that some cable makers out there do try to make their interconnects more sturdy in terms of the plugs, or those that come with additional anti-interference/anti-vibration properties so consumers do pay for those "marketed/propaganda" features accordingly I guess.

Despite I don't usually buy into the whole cables hype/snake oil theories so often debated on HF, I do however acknowledge the fact myself that more exp cables do yield diff or superior SQ depending on how you match with yr gears, for example a warm headphones might benefit from pure silver cables, but something treble-heavy like my CK100PRO/AD1000PRM I would prolly prefer to match it with copper/gold hybrid to add more body presence/resolution to it, instead of pure silver modded cables in order to prevent them frm becoming brighter.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ûÈÌס²ð¿ªESW11LTD¿´Ò»¿´w - ÌúÈý½Ç Audio-Technica - iMP3ËæÉíÓ°Òô

Randius bro is gotta get a heart-ache from this. Tearing down the ESW11 LTD gao gao lol. Was browsing one of my regular china audio forums just now, that threadstarter dismantled his own ESW11, and even got one teardown picture of the W1000X Grandioso as well.

The comments from that threadstarter's mouth are well-expected, as usual ATH did not skimp on the internal parts for this headphone, he has commented that the wood cup housings were quite thick for a portable, however he did criticised the external design of the ESW11's which I would agree to a certain extent, as it seems that for this latest iteration of the Earsuit Wood series, Audio-technica did not go 100% full-effort in terms of brainstorming for its aesthetics design part. (smack just one limited edition logo on it, then instead of using nicely-embossed Gold left/right indicators on the L and R side as found on ESW9/ESW10jpn, now just used simple L/R letters to indicate them)

That Necro dude has done quite a few in-depth articles on other ATH headphones as well, if Randius is interested can go slowly look through that forum I have also learnt quite abit abt other ATH gears I nv touched before by reading his posts. :o

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
@Guan22: Jin envious, got chio and sturdy chiong-ed Sieveking stands to own. Yeah I gotta agree Sieveking's stands are quite arty farty in terms of design which was why they managed to captivate me in the first place, but I just cannot get over the price barrier for the original ones for something that just simply stays in my room, for decorative purposes even though these accessories are meant to compliment my headphones.

I sold it. And I sorta regret it now.
Even for a chiong one, it's beautiful and quite well priced at $70.

Despite I don't usually buy into the whole cables hype/snake oil theories so often debated on HF, I do however acknowledge the fact myself that more exp cables do yield diff or superior SQ depending on how you match with yr gears, for example a warm headphones might benefit from pure silver cables, but something treble-heavy like my CK100PRO/AD1000PRM I would prolly prefer to match it with copper/gold hybrid to add more body presence/resolution to it, instead of pure silver modded cables in order to prevent them frm becoming brighter.

I have always used 3rd party cables for my tranducers (past and present; Westone ES5, UM Miracle, Sony EX-1000 and HD600).

I find that 3rd party cables do improve the performance of tranducers, but only up to a point. Also, like what bro Weng says, there should always be a ratio for cables to equipments. Mine is 1:3.

;)

Randius

Reaction score
@Haonan: yes, it is a pity that they didn't put in more effort on the aesthetics of ESW11 or it will really be a magnificent pair of headphones.

btw, be a true-blue AT fan, get the HPS550 stands :s13:

Just read that Azureimf over at Mobile01 had put up some graphs showing the capability of the AT-HA26D DAC/amp. I must say it is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Guan22: Haha bro i see i see. Yah lors, then now you trying to spread more customised cable poison onto me liaos right? =:p Anyway I will definitely keep yr Toxic cables offer in mind, since i'm currently looking to see how much more juice/potential I can push out of my CK100PRO's, since I really like their main signature for vocal songs, while for acoustic/ambient music atm I'm enjoying more on my FAD Piano Forte IX's, but these can be quite heavy on the ears due to the stainless steel and a slight hassle to use outdoors, since they don't come with any chin slider, but the soft nylon cable is a pretty nice touch due to almost non-existent microphonics compared to my other iems with the exception of the EX800st, which like yr Sony's EX1000 already have built-in ear gliders to rectify that.

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Randius: I'm always considered a true-blue AT fan like you, since they got me started in this audio seriously. =:p But in all honesty, I think in recent times many Sony/FAD gears out there are slowly changing me, so I think my personal perception towards audio is slightly more open-minded now, cos some of my existing gears such as the EX800st and FAD heaven C/Piano Forte IX really changed my stubborn beliefs towards some of the audio-related theories that I used to believe/uphold, but was proven wrong after getting to know them better through my own ears.

Like what they usually say, sometimes hearing is believing. But of course, my love for Audio-technica will always be around. :o

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
@Guan22: Haha bro i see i see. Yah lors, then now you trying to spread more customised cable poison onto me liaos right? =:p Anyway I will definitely keep yr Toxic cables offer in mind, since i'm currently looking to see how much more juice/potential I can push out of my CK100PRO's, since I really like their main signature for vocal songs, while for acoustic/ambient music atm I'm enjoying more on my FAD Piano Forte IX's, but these can be quite heavy on the ears due to the stainless steel and a slight hassle to use outdoors, since they don't come with any chin slider, but the soft nylon cable is a pretty nice touch due to almost non-existent microphonics compared to my other iems with the exception of the EX800st, which like yr Sony's EX1000 already have built-in ear gliders to rectify that.

Rather than poisoning you, I rather say I'm sharing my experiences.

:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.