e2i and CPA Australia launch new accounting programme

bugmenot45

Reaction score
SINGAPORE - Mid-career professionals without accounting work experience or accounting-related qualifications can now be hired and trained as accounts or audit professionals under a pilot programme run by the NTUC's Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) and professional accounting body CPA Australia.

Under the programme, candidates will enrol in the CPA Programme Foundation Level course to learn basic accounting, which allows them to then advance to the Professional Level course to earn the globally-recognised CPA Australia professional accounting designation. They will then undergo six months of on-the-job training with participating employers.

During training, candidates' salaries will be at least S$2,000. Upon completion of the programme, they will also receive a basic salary increase of at least 15 per cent.

e2i will provide participating employers training allowances, as well as subsidise up to 70 per cent of course fees for successful candidates. Employers that hire candidates for professional accounting roles under this programme can apply for training support of up to S$8,450 per eligible employee.

e2i Acting Chief Executive Officer Gilbert Tan said this Place-and-Train programme for accounts and audit professionals was initiated to "help address the manpower needs of the accounting sector, as well as provide a way for locals to tap into accounting or audit-related job opportunities".

Mr Melvin Yong, Singapore General Manager of CPA Australia, added: "As Singapore positions itself to become a global accountancy hub, this partnership between CPA Australia and e2i will provide an ideal doorway for those in mid-careers looking for an opportunity to join the accounting profession.

"For employers, this is a potential avenue to recruit experienced staff amidst Singapore's current tight labour market," he said.

The programme is part of the labour movement's continuous outreach to professionals in the financial and business services cluster.

TODAYonline | Singapore | e2i and CPA Australia launch new accounting programme

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good to know for Post Secondary & below graduate

CPA Programme Foundation Level: Duration & Allowance/Salary = Unknown

CPA Programme Professional Level: Duration & Allowance/Salary = Unknown

OJT: 6 months with salary of $2000

Graduate: starting salary of $2300 (15% increment)

Career Opportunity to work in other companies in Singapore: A BIG question mark!

MadPrince

Reaction score
Its weird that e2i, a local institution, has to work with CPA Aussie instead of CPA SG to come out with such an initiative.

Starting salary need not be $2300 though, could be higher as the minimum is 15%. However many employers would always go for the minimum as it means lower cost.

Still awaiting details of this programme though. Not sure who they mean by mid career professionals. Could it be those degree holders of other disciplines? For example an engineer doing a mid career switch to accounting? But then the mid career engineer pay sure much higher than 2k/2.3k liao mah. Even poly holders with more than 5 years of experience can fetch more than this amount liao.

bugmenot45

Reaction score
But then the mid career engineer pay sure much higher than 2k/2.3k liao mah. Even poly holders with more than 5 years of experience can fetch more than this amount liao.

Why would they match your old salary when you can't contribute as much?
They'll rather hire a fresh grad in such a case.
These programs are for people who are really tired of their job and want to do something else and willing to take a pay cut.

BroadBear

Master Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this ish open to fresh graduates who intend to switch into the accounting line?

MadPrince

Reaction score
Why would they match your old salary when you can't contribute as much?
They'll rather hire a fresh grad in such a case.
These programs are for people who are really tired of their job and want to do something else and willing to take a pay cut.

I did not say anything about the companies having to match the old salary of these mid career switchers. I just said generally speaking, there is not much incentive for these mid career professionals to switch to accounting, unless like u said, they are really so dead tired of their job and willing to take pay cut.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seem like after the course with OJT, you may get a Cert(before the course) or direct get CPA Aus without any Cert. Needs more information about this.

In this case, graduate is not a diploma/degree or even a certificate in accounting holder. Why will employer want to pay more then S$2,300 for low end accounting position since their qualification is not competent to hold higher position?

Its weird that e2i, a local institution, has to work with CPA Aussie instead of CPA SG to come out with such an initiative.

Starting salary need not be $2300 though, could be higher as the minimum is 15%. However many employers would always go for the minimum as it means lower cost.

Still awaiting details of this programme though. Not sure who they mean by mid career professionals. Could it be those degree holders of other disciplines? For example an engineer doing a mid career switch to accounting? But then the mid career engineer pay sure much higher than 2k/2.3k liao mah. Even poly holders with more than 5 years of experience can fetch more than this amount liao.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.