Citibank's New Prestige Card

Aleksandr

Master Member
Reaction score
Basically, if you, or your father mother got money, its ok if you are earning less than 120k.

alwaysnforever

Master Member
Reaction score
most people? Really? I don't think so la. Yes there are more and more people, but I wouldn't call these group who earn 120k pa as most people...

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
these days most people are 120K p.a. easily...funny calling their card 'Prestige Card'

definition of most should be 80-90% of population?

median income of the middle class is at most 3k?

3k x 12M = 36k/p.a

so rest of 84k comes from where?

:s13::s13::s13:

the group is definitely getting larger but definitely it had not met the definition of most ppl yet.

Heck, It haven't even reach half yet :s13:

hclee01

Master Member
Reaction score
Citi also launched this card in Malaysia. Seems like the perk is slightly better. It includes free airport transfer from KL Airport to Home and unlimited lounge access. Nice touch.

Citi Prestige Card Benefits: Points & Rewards for the World Traveler
Free Airport Limo Ride Home from KLIA
The Citi Prestige experience takes you from the airport to your doorstep. Swipe your card overseas 3 times and present your sales slips along with your Citi Prestige card at the Citibank Airport Limo Priority Booth for a free ride home from Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

Citi Prestige Card Benefits: Points & Rewards for the World Traveler
Unlimited airport lounge access
Citi Prestige gives you complimentary access to more than 600 airport lounges in cities around the world through Priority Pass™. No membership fees, no lounge pass fees – just present your Priority Pass membership card at the desk.

lufu

Master Member
Reaction score
most people? Really? I don't think so la. Yes there are more and more people, but I wouldn't call these group who earn 120k pa as most people...

you're right. should say more and more people. My mistake.

The points given for subscription fee charged doesn't quite match up right? :s22:

lingua101

Reaction score
Of course...

I refuse to pay credit card fees unless I get something like bucket loads of miles in return. So many cards in the market right now, make me pay for nothing in return, I take my business elsewhere.

i think should refrain myself to apply now. waiting them to be more desperate (hope the take up rate is low) and throw more goddies

Aleksandr

Master Member
Reaction score
i think should refrain myself to apply now. waiting them to be more desperate (hope the take up rate is low) and throw more goddies

Haha good idea.. I like the idea of airport to home transfers that they are offering in Malaysia.

lingua101

Reaction score
Haha good idea.. I like the idea of airport to home transfers that they are offering in Malaysia.

Ya. All of us should refrain to apply. Boycott this card until they improve the offering. Transfer from airport to home will be good. Although my taxi rate is only $15 even with midnight charge.

hclee01

Master Member
Reaction score
The same card issued in USA offers a lot of perks including special hotel benefits (complimentary upgrades, breakfast, late chekout) as well as airline benefits (complimentary upgrade from Economy to Business Card on non-discount tickets).

Was wondering if Singapore issued card can benefit from these as well, in particular, the hotel benefits:

Citi Prestige Travel Collection

lingua101

Reaction score
The same card issued in USA offers a lot of perks including special hotel benefits (complimentary upgrades, breakfast, late chekout) as well as airline benefits (complimentary upgrade from Economy to Business Card on non-discount tickets).

Was wondering if Singapore issued card can benefit from these as well, in particular, the hotel benefits:

we should boycott this card until they improve the benefit

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Country Specific Benefits.

Singapore is just too small -.- to offer alot.

Competition also not as intense compared to other countries.

Thus not much incentive to offer more :s22:

Suleyman

Reaction score
Country Specific Benefits.

Singapore is just too small -.- to offer alot.

Competition also not as intense compared to other countries.

Thus not much incentive to offer more :s22:

Having said that, the rather generous miles/$ earning ratio is already a good sell.

Frankly, for most people, we will not use the majority of these benefits. Personally, the only benefit that I have used a lot in the past couple of years was the taxi and Jetquay service with HSBC VI (before there was a spending condition). All those hotel benefits, never used before as you can usually find better offers or promotions on the net.

So, I'm not too fussed that this is 'not as good' compared to other markets and take it for what it is. :)

lingua101

Reaction score
Having said that, the rather generous miles/$ earning ratio is already a good sell.

Frankly, for most people, we will not use the majority of these benefits. Personally, the only benefit that I have used a lot in the past couple of years was the taxi and Jetquay service with HSBC VI (before there was a spending condition). All those hotel benefits, never used before as you can usually find better offers or promotions on the net.

So, I'm not too fussed that this is 'not as good' compared to other markets and take it for what it is. :)

Well that precisely my point. Citi will tell you they give a lot of benefit. But as i said before, none of these benefits will be useful for me.

For HSBC VI , I only use limo service and Fast Track in certain cities. Hardly use the Priority Pass, as I normally can use CX or *A lounge. Only use Jetquay thrice, 1 dep, 2 arrival and found it quite hassle and unnecessarily. When I arrived from TPE on T3, it ends up longer time.

May be useful if you landed on A380 and want to avoid the crowd in the bagage area

The limo service do save me around $100 per year, as I travel almost once a month, not to mention the convenience. Of course Fast Track, I won't put a $ tag to it.

Hence my 75,000 points from HSBC is only cost around $300+

Personally Citi should at least throw in the limo service my be 2ways if they really genuine. Or they assume their target market has cars to drive to airport.

Suleyman

Reaction score
Well that precisely my point. Citi will tell you they give a lot of benefit. But as i said before, none of these benefits will be useful for me.

For HSBC VI , I only use limo service and Fast Track in certain cities. Hardly use the Priority Pass, as I normally can use CX or *A lounge. Only use Jetquay thrice, 1 dep, 2 arrival and found it quite hassle and unnecessarily. When I arrived from TPE on T3, it ends up longer time.

May be useful if you landed on A380 and want to avoid the crowd in the bagage area

The limo service do save me around $100 per year, as I travel almost once a month, not to mention the convenience. Of course Fast Track, I won't put a $ tag to it.

Hence my 75,000 points from HSBC is only cost around $300+

Personally Citi should at least throw in the limo service my be 2ways if they really genuine. Or they assume their target market has cars to drive to airport.

It's a fair enough point. I guess in my case, the majority of travels are for work and I get to claim taxi fare to the airport so it wasn't a huge benefit for me, just a way I saved a bit of money from my travel budget. :)

If HSBC still offered the airport transfer with no strings attached, I would use it in a flash, but I'm not willing to divert that much spending to the card just to maintain the benefit.

Ultimately, sure, I wish that Citi offered airport transfer for cardholders as well, but the fact that it doesn't is not a deal breaker for me. :)

swordspirit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's a fair enough point. I guess in my case, the majority of travels are for work and I get to claim taxi fare to the airport so it wasn't a huge benefit for me, just a way I saved a bit of money from my travel budget. :)

If HSBC still offered the airport transfer with no strings attached, I would use it in a flash, but I'm not willing to divert that much spending to the card just to maintain the benefit.

Ultimately, sure, I wish that Citi offered airport transfer for cardholders as well, but the fact that it doesn't is not a deal breaker for me. :)

They should just throw in the limo services, be it with spending requirements. It will then match up with existing cards in the market. Whats the point of introducing new card when u cannot even beat the other cards.

Suleyman

Reaction score
They should just throw in the limo services, be it with spending requirements. It will then match up with existing cards in the market. Whats the point of introducing new card when u cannot even beat the other cards.

Because they are offering more miles/$ than any comparable card in the market?

Put it this way. Assuming you spend $5k a quarter, which gets you the free limo service from HSBC, you are also losing out on 2k miles a quarter by using the HSBC card. If you value 2k miles a quarter more, take the Citibank card. If you value your airport transfer more, take the HSBC card.

You need not have every card in the market. Just pick the one that best fit your spending and usage profile. For some (including me), this card beats the HSBC VI card hands down.

swordspirit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Because they are offering more miles/$ than any comparable card in the market?

Put it this way. Assuming you spend $5k a quarter, which gets you the free limo service from HSBC, you are also losing out on 2k miles a quarter by using the HSBC card. If you value 2k miles a quarter more, take the Citibank card. If you value your airport transfer more, take the HSBC card.

You need not have every card in the market. Just pick the one that best fit your spending and usage profile. For some (including me), this card beats the HSBC VI card hands down.

not really much higher. ANZ also 1.4, UOB 1.6? somemore their annual fee is the highest and cannot be waived. the rate of earning of the free miles is also lower then ANZ (and UOB if u spent more then 50k a year).

Suleyman

Reaction score
not really much higher. ANZ also 1.4, UOB 1.6? somemore their annual fee is the highest and cannot be waived. the rate of earning of the free miles is also lower then ANZ (and UOB if u spent more then 50k a year).

Even if you are new customer to Citibank, you'll get a 5% bonus (1.47 miles/$) on your miles, so that's slightly higher than ANZ Travel Visa. Not sure why you claim that the rate of earning is lower than ANZ.

If you get the 15% bonus (longtime Citibank customer or Citigold customer), you are earning 1.61 miles/$, higher than UOB PRVI Miles (excluding the bonus). Besides, I don't really consider the PRVI Miles a comparable card simply because it is Amex, which means much lower acceptance.

The annual fee for the first year is not waived but you get 25k miles in return, which is considered good value. There is no information about subsequent years. If cannot, just cancel. No big deal.

Finally, it was a huge problem to many that UNI$s and ANZ Miles had expiry dates. This card comes with non-expiry of Citipoints. So there will be some who consider this more attractive than the other two cards.

So, to my original point, the mile earning on this card is great for some people, for whom, limo service may not be important (such as me). For people like me, earning that 0.07 miles/$ more on my transactions is better since the limo perk is irrelevant to me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.