[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hi bros,

Just bought a 412+ and have a question.

I have 2 PCs (one with 10/100 NIC another with gigabit NIC) and synology 412+ NAS connected to the same gigabit router.

Will the PC with the 10/100 NIC connected to the Gigabit switch bring down the overall network performance causing the PC with gigabit NIC and Synology NAS to slow down to 10/100 speed?
Short answer yes. The slower NIC will slow down everything in your network. Nothing will be in gigabit.

zidane88

Reaction score
Short answer yes. The slower NIC will slow down everything in your network. Nothing will be in gigabit.

thanks for your prompt reply bro. another question. Will my laptop with wireless B connected to the same gigabit router affect the wired performance of the router?

Vulpix

Reaction score
thanks for your prompt reply bro. another question. Will my laptop with wireless B connected to the same gigabit router affect the wired performance of the router?

Nope. Won't affect the wired. That's what I'm doing for one of my PCs also.

WhiteFox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Based on your description, I would say getting a 4 bay NAS with good performance actually makes more sense than getting another 2 bay NAS.

My reasoning:
  1. Torrenting is actually quite CPU intensive.
  2. If you have 2 NAS with 2 bays, it means you are practically doing a RAID 1. Why not just get a 4 bay one and do RAID 5?
  3. If you get 1x 4 bay NAS, you just need 1 UPS to cover it, if you get 2x 2 bay NAS, how you going to cover in the future? :D

Can 1 UPS cover 2 NAS?

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 --> is it supported by synology?
currently i use CS 650, last time wanted the Back-UPS Pro lower end one, but not out yet.

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
btw my office got these unit:
DS 509+ with 5x1.5TB raid 5
DS 509+ with 5x2TB raid 5
DS 1812+ with 4x3TB Green + 4x3TB Red
DS 1812+ with 8x3TB Red

the DS 509+ daily write is around 300GB per day each. Last time using Seagate 1.5TB ... the HDD died after 3 years (slowly one by one) while the Nas is still going strong for 4 years :o

vicqua

Reaction score
Took me a while to decide which NAS to get, so finally settled for a DS 1512+ hope it was not a rash decision.. was thinking of QNAP bez the HDMI look good on Xmbc :)

SpyderMan

Reaction score
Nice thread! :D

DS213 with 2x3TB WD Red user here. :)

Edited: Btw, be gentle. NAS and RAID newbie here. :D

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
Can 1 UPS cover 2 NAS?
Why not? One be master UPS server for another one to ping it. If master say got daiji, slave ones will react, heck even your PC can ping it via WinNUT. :D

APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 --> is it supported by synology?
currently i use CS 650, last time wanted the Back-UPS Pro lower end one, but not out yet.
If 900 supported, cannot be your 650 not supported mah. Go plug in and see lor.

Sir Vulpix, since you are the thread starter of this Synology Fan Club, want to start a roll call here?
No please. Roll calls make the thread SUPER SUPER messy. I see it in edmw, scroll through such threads is jitao headache.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Got the 412+ and two 3GB WD Red. Any one using iSCSI? Pro and cons of it?

I can't seem to login to my DS through the internet, probably the ports are not forwarded. Will go try it out once I get my router up. Any advice what I should look out for?

alpc

Reaction score
When you are in DSM and open the File Station panel, do you get a pop up telling you to install the latest Java suited for your OS? Why do they keep popping up - even after I had install the latest Java into my OS?

edwin21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When you are in DSM and open the File Station panel, do you get a pop up telling you to install the latest Java suited for your OS? Why do they keep popping up - even after I had install the latest Java into my OS?

your browser may have disabled java from running, check ur browser plugin for java

echeong

Master Member
Reaction score
Photo Station

Need help here from lao jiao bros. I migrated my 4x500gb from my old CS-406 to the DS413J and everything went smoothly (data and all) except for photo station. It was working ok with DSM3.1 on the CS-406 but now I basically can't open it even on my LAN. Tried un-install and re-install photo station but didn't work. But funny enough the pics are accessible on DS Photo+ app on my iphone and ipad.
See pic below on blank page on firefox and internal 500 server error on IE when I tried to open the link.
photostation_zps2ed3eef4.jpg

lvlaTr1X

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A newbie here, just gotten my DS413J from Itshow.

I only bought a NAS red 2TB and used a old 500GB hitachi HDD.

If in future I were to change out the 500gb and add in 3 x 2TB, will it be a problem?

setiardi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A newbie here, just gotten my DS413J from Itshow.

I only bought a NAS red 2TB and used a old 500GB hitachi HDD.

If in future I were to change out the 500gb and add in 3 x 2TB, will it be a problem?

No, just remember to copy your important data out to somewhere else just in case before upsizing.

zidane88

Reaction score
Got the 412+ and two 3GB WD Red. Any one using iSCSI? Pro and cons of it?

I can't seem to login to my DS through the internet, probably the ports are not forwarded. Will go try it out once I get my router up. Any advice what I should look out for?

Hi have u setup a free DDSN account from noip.com?
Once u sign up, configure the DDSN hostname using synology DDSN app found in the control panel.
Next configure port fwd on your router.
This should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.