Widespread SD Card issue with Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2

Nichi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my 32gb class10 samsung card no problem.

being using it in my s3 for a few months already

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
16gb card ok but my 32gb sandisk mobile ultra & 32gb toshiba class 4 both got killed by my note 2! =_=

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Format SD card before using. Don't use Kingston

went down to Marina Square Service Centre weeks ago to see their answers on SD card issues. Many have been asking Samsung on fb on this issue, what FB says is that the SD card slot is loose.

But it's different from what the service centre says, they say nothing wrong with SD card slot. The problem is the micro SD card itself. Here's what they say

1) Format microSD card before using; using internal formatting.

2) Use Sandisk or Samsung microSD card is advisable. Not advisable for using Kingston.

konglai

Reaction score
sd card

My kingston 32gb also no issue.

Been using for about 11 month. from S3 to Note 2

gt_5454

Master Member
Reaction score
My wife's Sandisk 32gb class 4 also died on her note 2.
Worse thing is it was bought from best bargain ...they have no stock for 1 to 1 exchange and got to wait for weeks.

eatcarrotcake

Reaction score
My sandisk 64 gb class 10 and kaput after 4 months. So now I m using Samsung class 10 32gb.

Hopefully things will be ok.

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also hoot samsung in the end now on samsung pro class10 64gb made in korea

quite speedy over made in china sandisk

my transend also corruptrd
is mostly due to copy files and not auto die when in side phone same for my sandisk

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this but as far as I know all failures reported were SanDisk. I didn't want to take the risk so I got a Samsung 32GB class 10 even though it is more expensive. After 3 months still no issue.

I had a Lexar that died suddenly. :( It was brought from Convergent at the recent IT Show. I have seen other posts of MSDHC of other brands dying though the most numerous were Sandisk 32GB Class 10.

boldeagle

Reaction score
My Note 2 killed 2 Sandisk microSDs.

The first was a brand new 32GB Class 10 that died within a couple of weeks. I bought this specifically for my new Note 2.

I had all my photos and music stored on the microSD and my camera was setup to store photos on the microSD card.

I started noticing problems during the 1st week when my music player's Playlist will not remember any songs. I would add songs to it and after a while the songs will disappear. Then I realise the microSD logo keeps appearing in the Notification Bar like it was being "prepared" and getting remounted.

Finally I got an error message telling me SD Card could not be read and asking if I want to reformat it.

After this 32GB died, I plugged in my old Sandisk 16GB Class 4 that I used for more than a year in my Galaxy S2 without any problems. It worked well for a quite a while (slightly more than a month) and I thought it was stable as I thought the problem was with the 32GB Class 10 as I have read about the 32GB Class 10s having problems.

But the 16GB Class 4 finally had problems too when my Playlist again lost all it songs. And I finally got the dreaded error message asking me if I want to reformat my SD Card.

I managed to copy everything off the microSD and actually reformated it in the phone, thinking that a fresh reformat will block out the bad sectors and get it working again. It was stable for a couple of days but alas it didn't last and the dreaded error message appeared again. I reformated but to no avail. The microSD was finally dead.

Ok, for those folks who are saying their 32GB Class 10s are working well, can you please also state how long you have been using them? This will give us an idea what's the typical life span of faulty microSD.

What bugs me why does these SD card only die with the S3 and Note 2?

My old 16GB Class 4 worked well for more than a year with my S2....

For those who are using Samsung microSDs... how long have you been using them so far? Anyone experienced any issues yet? I am considering getting a Samsung microSD.

Any official statement from Samsung on this problem? I notice an earlier post but the advise given doesn't seem to make sense as it advised using Sandisk and avoid Kingston? But majority of folks seem to be having problems with Sandisk? :s11:

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

The first was a brand new 32GB Class 10 that died within a couple of weeks. I bought this specifically for my new Note 2.

I had all my photos and music stored on the microSD and my camera was setup to store photos on the microSD card.

I started noticing problems during the 1st week when my music player's Playlist will not remember any songs. I would add songs to it and after a while the songs will disappear. Then I realise the microSD logo keeps appearing in the Notification Bar like it was being "prepared" and getting remounted.

Finally I got an error message telling me SD Card could not be read and asking if I want to reformat it.

After this 32GB died, I plugged in my old Sandisk 16GB Class 4 that I used for more than a year in my Galaxy S2 without any problems. It worked well for a quite a while (slightly more than a month) and I thought it was stable as I thought the problem was with the 32GB Class 10 as I have read about the 32GB Class 10s having problems.

But the 16GB Class 4 finally had problems too when my Playlist again lost all it songs. And I finally got the dreaded error message asking me if I want to reformat my SD Card.

I managed to copy everything off the microSD and actually reformated it in the phone, thinking that a fresh reformat will block out the bad sectors and get it working again. It was stable for a couple of days but alas it didn't last and the dreaded error message appeared again. I reformated but to no avail. The microSD was finally dead.

Ok, for those folks who are saying their 32GB Class 10s are working well, can you please also state how long you have been using them? This will give us an idea what's the typical life span of faulty microSD.

For those who are using Samsung microSDs... how long have you been using them so far? Anyone experienced any issues yet? I am considering getting a Samsung microSD.

Any official statement from Samsung on this problem? I notice an earlier post but the advise given doesn't seem to make sense as it advised using Sandisk and avoid Kingston? But majority of folks seem to be having problems with Sandisk? :s11:

My Sandisk 32GB Class 10 lasted about 4 months before getting the "dismount on wake" error. I bought it when I bought my S3 LTE.

My Lexar 32GB Class 10 lasted less than a week before I suddenly got a message that it was damaged and I have to reformat it.

Strangely enough, my Sandisk 16GB Class 4 that is about a year old is still working well.

ckiat

Reaction score
I have been using sandisk 32gb class 10 for over 4 months. Since 2 weeks ago, i began to notice the card unmounting issue, and the media scan wakelock kept draining my battery. I have about 18gb worth of MP3. The issue stopped after i removed my microSD card.

For those using Samsung card, does it drain your battery?

canopus88

Reaction score
I have been using sandisk 32gb class 10 for over 4 months. Since 2 weeks ago, i began to notice the card unmounting issue, and the media scan wakelock kept draining my battery. I have about 18gb worth of MP3. The issue stopped after i removed my microSD card.

For those using Samsung card, does it drain your battery?

It does not matter if you use Sandisk or Samsung. I had used different types of microSD [Sandisk 64gb(Class10), Sandisk 32gb(Class 4 and Class 10) and Samsung 32 Gb (class 10)] and still S3 reported damaged SD card. Currently, my S3 will happily report damaged SD (Samsung 32 Gb) and then it will work when i restart the S3 again.

It is definitely a samsung phone issue and they ought to compensate for the damaged SD card. I am now paranoid to store anything important in the damn SD card cos' S3 will suka suka tell u it is not accessible anymore.

SubHuM4n

Reaction score
My sister got a sandisk class 4 16 gb sdcard and was working fine with her old galaxy S1 for over TWO years until she upgraded to new S3 LTE and after she transfer over the sd card for about 1 month+, suddenly this "mount unmounting issue" pop up... I'm like wtf so I bought her a new 32 gb class 10 for her... now praying... hopefully no problem....if not ah... sandisk really cmi...

PS: the old class 4 16 gb sd card still working fine in my usb thumbdrive only abit slow....

pker88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mine case is not dismount which corruptrd my card its only when I transfer massive data

when I take out and put on comp to transfer so mine case not as bad

Nichi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Been using my samsung class10 32gb since april last year.

marvinz911

Reaction score
happen to me as well, been using memento 32gb class 6 since the launch of Note2. Updated the new firmware last week, then the the standard "SD card removed unexpectedly" popped....
Then the card got fried last week end .....FML

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.