Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Reaction score
DVB - Digital Video Broadcasting - Singapore

http://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files/PCDG/Licensees/StandardsQoS/RadiocomEquipStd/IDA_TS_DVBT.pdf

Singapore DVB-T2 plans move ahead
Singapore’s Media Development Authority has announced that all free-to-air terrestrial TV channels will go fully digital by the end of 2013 using the DVB-T2 standard. With Singapore’s migration to digital TV, free-to-air broadcaster MediaCorp will transmit all its seven FTA channels digitally by end 2013.
Channels 5, 8, Suria and Vasantham will be available in HD by end 2013. The remaining three channels – okto, Channel U and Channel NewsAsia will first be broadcast in SDS from end 2013, before being broadcast in HD in 2016.
2 July 2012
Source: Broadband TV News

DVB-T2 trial in September

Singapore will be embarking on a nationwide trial for the Digital Video Broadcasting - Second-Generation Terrestrial (DVB-T2) standard for Digital Terrestrial Television.
The trial was announced by Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, Singapore's Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts, during his opening address at Broadcast Asia 2011.
The Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) is putting in place a trial network by September this year to determine how DVB-T2 can be adopted.
Dr Yaacob also announced that consumers in Singapore and overseas will be able to freely access MediaCorp's seven free-to-air channels on the Internet within the next year.
Singapore TV is on schedule to go fully digital, in line with ASEAN's aim to switch off analogue transmission between 2015 and 2020.
Main source: Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union
Item added: 27th June 2011

DVB-T2 service for Singapore

The Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) has selected Media Broadcast, a company of the TDF Group, to conduct a technical trial which will be used to prepare for a free-to-air DTT service using the DVB-T2 standard in Singapore.
Media Broadcast will provide technical consultancy to design and manage the technical trial for deriving the suitable DVB-T2 transmission modes and technical parameters.
The trial will begin in August with the co-operation of Local Broadcasters. Both the quality of in house and mobile reception will be tested.
Source: Broadband TV News
Item added: 20th June 2011

petetherock

Reaction score
UHF27 - 522MHz

Channel U(SD) - live
Channel News Asia (SD) - live
okto (SD) - live

UHF29 - 538MHz

Suria (HD) - live
Channel 5 (HD) - live

UHF31 - 554MHz

Channel 8 (HD) - live
Vasantham (HD) - live

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
DVB-T2 Receiver Specification

If you have bought a recent TV, don't fret, just use it!
There will be set top box solutions etc.

As for new TVs, if you can hold off, let the prices stabilise, and see what is really compatible before you jump in.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If we subscribe to singtel or starhub cable tv, do we still need a dvb-t2 receiver?

Thanks

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Bookmarked.

Anyway, those of u who are into TV tuner card solutions (either for recording or watching TV on a computer) can consider the following cards:

BGT3620 by BlackGold
TBS6280 by TBS

Windowlover

Reaction score
Current TV maker have DVB-T2 standard ? Which model ? This information is good as I'm planning to get one for replacement. :s13::s13::s13:

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems very fickle, not long ago, terminated dvb-t, citing no commercial demand/apllications, now revive with T2.

XiaoMan

Reaction score
2 things that make me wonder

1) Did the authorities spoke to all major manufacturers if there is a possibility of replacing exisitng TV tuner cards instead of buying the box which consumed electricity and supposingly requires a seperate remote control?

2) Did they spoke to or 'force' Starhub to allow us to receive digital channels through their points instead of purchasing a seperate antenna which again consumed electricity? My flat has rooftop antenna but unable to receive. I called HDB to repair and they simply reject my request, forcing me to make my own antenna.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

1) Did the authorities spoke to all major manufacturers if there is a possibility of replacing exisitng TV tuner cards instead of buying the box which consumed electricity and supposingly requires a seperate remote control?

2) Did they spoke to or 'force' Starhub to allow us to receive digital channels through their points instead of purchasing a seperate antenna which again consumed electricity? My flat has rooftop antenna but unable to receive. I called HDB to repair and they simply reject my request, forcing me to make my own antenna.

According to the info here:
MediaCorp : MediaCorp goes fully digital in 2013

MediaCorp will be doing the exact same thing as it did for DVB-T. That is, the signals will not be passing through StarHub antenna point if one isn't a StarHub customer. Sucks I know.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Current TV maker have DVB-T2 standard ? Which model ? This information is good as I'm planning to get one for replacement. :s13::s13::s13:

euro models many hv DVB-T2 & C built-in to their TVs already~ some even hv DVB-S~ just browse uk webs, low end philips 4000 series, LG LS570T also hv DVB-T2/C~

i guess local vendors will clear off old stock before getting in dvb-t2 models~ :s22:

KardBoard

Reaction score
seem like they want u to die die subscribe/buy setup box.some more change the technology from dvb-t to dvb-t2.a bit weird you make trial on September but wanna roll over on DEC.how to know good or not?IMO,currently most lcd/led tv with dvb-t will not be able to watch due to new technology implemented.
hai ya,do thing never think.
1 more thing for those using antenna,are they able to get to those channel?if not, having setup box will bring your electricity and the subscription ===$$$$$$

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the end, buy dumb tv best, the smartness and compatibility in tv cannot change, plus it is jot worth the premium. but you can keep upgrading the external smartboxes. At most, use a programmable remote.

sunsetbay

Reaction score

1. i doubt manufacturers will wanna do that~ too much man power & logistic required. Warranty is also a issue.

2. starhub already transmit digital signals in DVB-C long ago~ so far i only know for local tv sets, philips tv is able to recv DVB-C w/o STB, user can recv mediacorp channels in digital but not HD5 as it's encrypted~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.