Samsung Galaxy S2 or S3 mini

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting a new phone soon and i'm looking at between these 2 phones. Not looking at Note 2 or S3 because they are too big for my liking. Bulky to put inside my pants pocket.

so yea, I'm leaning more towards S2 but wanna hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting a new phone soon and i'm looking at between these 2 phones. Not looking at Note 2 or S3 because they are too big for my liking. Bulky to put inside my pants pocket.

so yea, I'm leaning more towards S2 but wanna hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

for that particular size between S2 and S3 Mini, i suggest a phone like Ace 2 or S3 Mini is good. S2 is older model than S3 Mini. However, S2 the screen is only bigger. Ace 2 is quite a good phone like S3 Mini

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never get an older model when there is new model. Software upgrades will be very slow for older models, and hardware support is limited after 3 years from initial launch.

This is an opinion from a tech savvy guy. If you're not concerned with the above, then I will suggest s2.

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
How about the new Samsung Galaxy Express? Almost the same as Galaxy S3 mini but comes with a faster power efficient CPU (1.2Ghz vs 1Ghz) and a higher battery capacity (2000 vs 1500). They have the same look and design. There are review stating that it can last about 2 days under normal usage.

I'm thinking of getting one due to same reason as you and I need a phone that can last me through a day. However it cost about 100 SGD more than S3 mini when comparing at no contract prices.

Last edited:

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
Never get an older model when there is new model. Software upgrades will be very slow for older models, and hardware support is limited after 3 years from initial launch.

This is an opinion from a tech savvy guy. If you're not concerned with the above, then I will suggest s2.

I think while i okay with software upgrades being slow, you have a point there about hardware support. Because if it somehow malfunctions, i can get it fixed quite easily...just a question, is it hard to get repairs for the S2 at the samsung service center now?

I did look at some reviews of the s3 mini and it's pretty slow as compared to the S2.

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
How about the new Samsung Galaxy Express? Almost the same as Galaxy S3 mini but comes with a faster power efficient CPU (1.2Ghz vs 1Ghz) and a higher battery capacity (2000 vs 1500). They have the same look and design. There are review stating that it can last about 2 days under normal usage.

I'm thinking of getting one due to same reason as you and I need a phone that can last me through a day. However it cost about 100 SGD more than S3 mini when comparing at no contract prices.

hey thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know there was this model, probably because it's quite new. I'll have a look at it!

It does seems bigger than what I'm willing to go for though...

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm still loving my S2 and would recommend it.

But it is an old model so despite the still decent specifications, you probably won't see official updates beyond Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

New models with LTE:

Sony Xperia V
Samsung Galaxy Express I8730
HTC One SV
Motorola RAZR M XT905
Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I9210

Last edited:

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm still loving my S2 and would recommend it.

But it is an old model so despite the still decent specifications, you probably won't see official updates beyond Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

New models with LTE:

Sony Xperia V
Samsung Galaxy Express I8730
HTC One SV
Motorola RAZR M XT905
Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I9210

Indeed, S2 rocks. Now that you said it, the LTE model is a relatively new model right? That means there is still substantial hardware support for it?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Indeed, S2 rocks. Now that you said it, the LTE model is a relatively new model right? That means there is still substantial hardware support for it?

You referring to the S2 LTE? It is newer than the original S2 but not by a lot.

I think it was launched last year together with the announcement of local telco 4G. But I highly doubt that Samsung will update it to next major Android version.

You can make some guesses from this: http://www.sammobile.com/2013/03/18...roid-5-0-for-the-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-ii/

Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just get the galaxy express, if money is a concern then get the s3 mini.

No point getting the s2. Very old model.

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
Galaxy express selling for 490sgd judging from whymobile website, whereas 380sgd for galaxy s3 mini for no-contract set. Price is a bit on the high side for mid level phone.

Ok lah. The screen is slighly bigger by 0.5inch for express compared to S3 mini and I believe express, despite having larger screen and fast cpu, it will last longer than S3 mini.

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
Galaxy express selling for 490sgd judging from whymobile website, whereas 380sgd for galaxy s3 mini for no-contract set. Price is a bit on the high side for mid level phone.

Ok lah. The screen is slighly bigger by 0.5inch for express compared to S3 mini and I believe express, despite having larger screen and fast cpu, it will last longer than S3 mini.

I read that the display for express isn't that good...

JuXn5566

Reaction score
i think i better go down to the store to compare it...galaxy may be a bit big, have to see.

express physical size is almost as wide as S3 or S4.
Galaxy S2, S3 mini and express will not get update beyond android version 4.2.2. I think it will be the same for other mid range device as well.

Personally, I think it's S2>Express>S3 Mini

But I think you can hardly find brand new S2/S2 LTE anywhere.

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
express physical size is almost as wide as S3 or S4.
Galaxy S2, S3 mini and express will not get update beyond android version 4.2.2. I think it will be the same for other mid range device as well.

Personally, I think it's S2>Express>S3 Mini

But I think you can hardly find brand new S2/S2 LTE anywhere.

Why do you think express > S3 mini though? I do like the size of S3 mini and the compromise in performance isnt that huge right? or am I wrong haha

JuXn5566

Reaction score
Why do you think express > S3 mini though? I do like the size of S3 mini and the compromise in performance isnt that huge right? or am I wrong haha

Express is using dual-core Krait processor, much better processor than NovaThor U8500 in S3mini. Running Quadrant beachmark will actually see a double performance on Express than on S3mini. Processor in Express is actually better than S2 but why S2>express is because of 8mp camera on S2 capable of taking full hd 1080p video. The Super AMOLED plus screen on S2 is also better than express. battery-wise, express have got the best, S3mini and S2 almost the same.

If you smaller phone without compromise much in performance, you may consider Sony Xperia V or HTC One SV. Both are LTE and 1080p video recording capable. Xperia V got higher end specification with its 720p screen and 13.1mp camera compared to One SV but however Xperia V have terrible battery life.

Last edited:

Irenicis

Master Member
Reaction score
Express is using dual-core Krait processor, much better processor than NovaThor U8500 in S3mini. Running Quadrant beachmark will actually see a double performance on Express than on S3mini. Processor in Express is actually better than S2 but why S2>express is because of 8mp camera on S2 capable of taking full hd 1080p video. The Super AMOLED plus screen on S2 is also better than express. battery-wise, express have got the best, S3mini and S2 almost the same.

If you smaller phone without compromise much in performance, you may consider Sony Xperia V or HTC One SV. Both are LTE and 1080p video recording capable. Xperia V got higher end specification with its 720p screen and 13.1mp camera compared to One SV but however Xperia V have terrible battery life.

Think i'll stick with Samsung because their battery life still the best i think. Now what's this gorilla glass thing i keep hearing about the S3 and S3 mini?

Just a question, those using S3, do you guys have much problem putting the phone into your pockets? especially jeans pocket?

amberlight

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Y sho silly take older model

Juz a lil bit bigger mens jeans or berm pocket can put huan unress chiur kkj too big :crazy:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.