Asus RT-AC66U or Netgear R6300 router

itsme220

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Router. My environment is mixed of Old laptops on Windows, Mac-book and Linux.

Initially I was considering Asus I came across the following site which compares Asus vs Netgear

ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac vs NetGear R6300 in Routers

Looks like Asus don't support all WiF. Is it required?

3GuAReH.png

What you suggest?

Thank you

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you need VLAN tag support for fibre connections and VPN passthrough, go for the ASUS, if not then can go for the Netgear. I'm using the R6300. The performance on 2.4 and 5.0 is superb.

itsme220

Reaction score
If you need VLAN tag support for fibre connections and VPN passthrough, go for the ASUS, if not then can go for the Netgear. I'm using the R6300. The performance on 2.4 and 5.0 is superb.

Thanks kashix. If I buy ASUS, will my old laptop works well with ASUS as some of the wi-fi technology supported is new.

cyberet

Reaction score
From what I know, R6300 supports max 4096 connections. Might be a problem if users torrents heavily. besides that, sg asus support seems better than netgear.

i think theres some mistakes with the comparison website.
RT-AC66U specs

R6300

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks kashix. If I buy ASUS, will my old laptop works well with ASUS as some of the wi-fi technology supported is new.

I believe it's a bit biased or untrue, the website. The Asus is also A/B/G/N backwards compatible but if you get the Netgear now, it's a better deal because there's a new promotion where you get the R6300 + the A6200, the Ac adapter and a free targus bag for a slightly cheaper price than the ASUS. The price for the bundle mentioned aboved is only $299. You can get it from Funan Challenger.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From what I know, R6300 supports max 4096 connections. Might be a problem if users torrents heavily. besides that, sg asus support seems better than netgear.

i think theres some mistakes with the comparison website.
RT-AC66U specs

R6300

the max connection is more than enough, you won't use much more than that for the typical user anyway. For me I'm using the R6300, the torrent speed hover between 2mb/sec to 6mb/sec. I'm with MR.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Seem like Misleading information given.

ASUS RT-AC66U support n/g/a

feintan

Reaction score
the max connection is more than enough, you won't use much more than that for the typical user anyway. For me I'm using the R6300, the torrent speed hover between 2mb/sec to 6mb/sec. I'm with MR.

For Win XP the max concurrent Connection is limit to only 10.
For Vista and Win 7 the limitation is only 20. Unless you hack the windows TCPIP.sys or you are using the window server or Linux you are always under the window concurrent connection limitation. You can check the windows event viewer and if you see connection limit means you are limited by the windows.

to check the Concurrent Connection in windows go to command prompt and type "netstat -s" and it will tell you.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Vista and Win 7 the limitation is only 20. Unless you hack the windows TCPIP.sys or you are using the window server or Linux you are always under the window concurrent connection limitation. You can check the windows event viewer and if you see connection limit means you are limited by the windows.

to check the Concurrent Connection in windows go to command prompt and type "netstat -s" and it will tell you.

So nostalgic, the TCPIP.sys hack hahaha! Will try that to see if there's a improvement!

feintan

Reaction score
So nostalgic, the TCPIP.sys hack hahaha! Will try that to see if there's a improvement!

doubt there's any improvement if the ISP limit the bandwidth. To really have any improvement I think you need to remove both barrier.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
doubt there's any improvement if the ISP limit the bandwidth. To really have any improvement I think you need to remove both barrier.

last time yes, no idea if it's a placebo effect hahahaha!

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Router. My environment is mixed of Old laptops on Windows, Mac-book and Linux.

Initially I was considering Asus I came across the following site which compares Asus vs Netgear

ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac vs NetGear R6300 in Routers

Looks like Asus don't support all WiF. Is it required?

3GuAReH.png

What you suggest?

Thank you

btw you're safe with either choice, both are solid router :) but if u want to make the best out of your Wi-Fi router (AC) go for the netgear, comes with the AC Wi-Fi adapter! good buy!

Windowlover

Reaction score
btw you're safe with either choice, both are solid router :) but if u want to make the best out of your Wi-Fi router (AC) go for the netgear, comes with the AC Wi-Fi adapter! good buy!

Anyone can advise me as PACE A5520N can be replace with Asus directly ?
:s22::s22:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Limit is for currently connecting, not connected. You can have more than that for connections. If you run netstat you should have noticed that the number of connections can exceed 10 or 20. Doing the hack will let your computer set up more connections faster, but that's all.

If you have 20 connections pending, then no more can be added, but these will either change to connected or timeout, which means the 20 slots will be freed.

Last edited:

feintan

Reaction score
Limit is for currently connecting, not connected. You can have more than that for connections. If you run netstat you should have noticed that the number of connections can exceed 10 or 20. Doing the hack will let your computer set up more connections faster, but that's all.

If you have 20 connections pending, then no more can be added, but these will either change to connected or timeout, which means the 20 slots will be freed.

Seems that you are wrong.

"How do i know if my computer has reach the maximum TCP connection?
To know if you’re hitting concurrent TCP connection attempts limit, Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System, look for TCP/IP warning “TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts”. It has the Event ID of 4226"

How to adjust your Window XP TCP Connection to boost your BT download speed? - Techie Corner

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems that you are wrong.

"How do i know if my computer has reach the maximum TCP connection?
To know if you’re hitting concurrent TCP connection attempts limit, Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System, look for TCP/IP warning “TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts”. It has the Event ID of 4226"

How to adjust your Window XP TCP Connection to boost your BT download speed? - Techie Corner

connection attempts. did you read what you posted?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.