EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks vespaguy. Im actually new to all these...have only been using SAKs so far. Am thinking of getting one small and one large edc blade. any suggestions?

sure, but need more info.
- what kind of use are you putting your EDC through?
- what kind of materials are you cutting?
- are you concerned about edgeholding, ease of sharpening?
- do you like maintaining your tools regularly / do you use them in wet and saltwater environments?
- are you ok with visible folder handles or do you prefer deep carry pocket clips?
- SAKs are non-locking, mostly. are you looking for a locking mechanism? there are many out there - linerlocks, framelocks, lock-backs, tri-ad locks, button locks etc.
- what budget are you looking at?
- have you considered fixed blades?

For EDC, I look for folders (because I do not wish to carry fixed blades in Singapore, but do not mind when camping) that have these characteristics:

- good steel. N690 (cheap and good), CPM154V, S35V/S30 (not a big fan though), ELMAX, VG10, RWL34. The better the edgeholding normally translates to harder steels which in turn make it more difficult to sharpen. Conversely, AUS8 or the Sandvik steels are quite easy to sharpen.

- good size in the hand, not too big, not too small. I max out at 3.5" blade for weekend/jeans use. I prefer 3-3.25" blade for weekday. It's important to have a balance between my use and scaring non-users.

- I prefer thinner blades that slice well since I am not a 'hard' user - I don't pry with my knives, so blades of 3mm stock are efficient. That said, a 4mm-5mm blade stock that is hollow ground works well if left thin at the edge. Thick 'macho' blades do not interest me at all - if it can't slice food properly, it doesn't interest me much, I use my blades mainly for food prep.

- I like synthetic materials for handles, so G10, micarta, CF or plain ti are good. I actually love natural materials like wood but it's hard to maintain in Singapore as the wood may shrink or expand if not cared for. Had bad experience in this already.

- I prefer stainless steels rather than carbon due to corrosion resistance.

- I prefer plain edge than combo edges (can't sharpen the serrations) or fully serrated (except in rescue blades).

- I eschew clips which make the handle highly visible (who needs the attention) and prefer deep carry clips.

I think you should check out a few in person before you zoom in to what you like. Alantcy has a great selection of folders for sale and probably an even bigger collection. Perhaps if you offer some hospitality, he can show you what he has and you can handle and feel. If you guys are doing that, I'd be happy to meet you both and show you the stuff I use as well (and the Pekka, but that is not an EDC blade, it's a collector blade, unless you want to mod it, which was my intention but am lacking funds and time right now).

You should definitely consider the many Kershaws, Spydercos, BM, ZT, and Hogue Elishewitz blades (definitely heavy duty, and you're buying a well designed knife which would sell for 3 times more if it were custom). That said, there are many many other brands out there....I'd look out for those too, but stick with the mainstream big boys and you should be ok with QC issues. BM's after sales warranty is unbeatable (better than Spyderco, IMO).

If you have $500-700 to spare, consider going for better quality productions as well as entry level custom folders (you'd be surprised that you can find custom folders at this price, you just need to be patient as they have long wait times and are unknown makers). For fixed blades, you can already acquire customs at $200, and some are helluva good too.

If you have zero idea where to start, go down to Sheares or Hornest, have a look see. Hornest offers a great selection of Benchmades at a very reasonable price (he's got other great gear too, so you might just get distracted from buying a knife if you go to his shop). I'm not affiliated to either, btw.

Lastly, do not leave leathermans/multitools out of the mix. I use them the most after kitchen stuff. The only snag is they are bulkier than folders and I'm a knifeknut :)

Last edited:

lostLore85

Reaction score
Thanks, thats a very informative post. Im thinking in terms of a small edc that i can easily put in my pocket n its size and weight wouldnt show. And perhaps a larger one that i can use for outdoor activities and camping trips and stuff. I quite like the colours that spyderco have like the yellow and blue...pretty cool imo.

sojourn88

Reaction score
Thanks, thats a very informative post. Im thinking in terms of a small edc that i can easily put in my pocket n its size and weight wouldnt show. And perhaps a larger one that i can use for outdoor activities and camping trips and stuff. I quite like the colours that spyderco have like the yellow and blue...pretty cool imo.

for EDC, you might be keen on the Ripple from Ken Onion by not Spyderco though, but reputable CRKT.

small, smooth, fast deployment, low riding, lightweight, and cool.
check out the sales page here: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/g...ripple-linerlock-knife-ken-onion-4172468.html

K415KXP_large_455.jpg

Ripple-Flipper-Vers-2-500PX_large5.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

ok, now we have something to work on ;)

1. light - look for something with FRN scales and wire clips. They wont print and the clips don't draw attention. If you can afford more weight, then G10 is good. I would suggest you look at Spyderco Tenacious, Persistance (both Taiwan/Chinese models, cheap) but definitely the Caly 3 (beautiful design, in both open and closed configuration) and Delica. The Delica now comes in a myriad of colours, and is priced very affordably, meant to be for everyone. The above all have 3 and under blade lengths. If you compare the Spyderco's leaf shaped blades with other makes, they look large due to the profile, most have full flat grinds or hollow ground sabres and cut extremely well.

I also think you should should consider Benchmades mini/full size griptillian, with a variety of handle colours and the very smooth ambidextrous axis lock.

I'm not very familiar with Kershaws, but they offer great steel and many have assist features.

I would stay away from SOG and lesser brands unless you are familiar with a particular model.

Alantcy has mentioned CRKT's Ripple - it's a great little knife, and if you like the flipper concept, you MUST look at the CRKT Sampa as well.

At about $100, you should expect VG10, 154CM/154V/ATS34, N680 and (possibly but not likely) S30V steels.

If you are concerned about staining, the Spyderco Salt Series is highly recommended.

All the above have 3mm bladestock.

2. Camping knife. You didn't state clearly if you would go the way of the fixed blade, so I assume you want a folder. For camping, I would advise you go for a slightly thicker blade stock if you are going to be opening tinned food, light batoning (always in an unlocked position) or cutting through lighter animal bones etc. For tropical type camping, stainless is a must, anything semi-stainless or super high carbon (like ZDP) is going to rust like there's no tomorrow, whether you use tuff glide, mineral oil etc. You're just not going to be maintaining your blade a lot if you're out for a week...at best, you'll wash it with water after cleaning fish/chicken/cooking etc. I'd suggest going for a 4mm/5/32" blade stock but if you use your blades as they're intended 3mm is great too and makes light work of food prep (my favourite). Whilst they are rust magnets, carbon steel blades are tough, and easy to resharpen. All native/traditional fixed and folding blades are carbon steel...the reason people are not concerned about that is that they use them everyday, so the rust doesn't get a chance to 'grow', haha.

For folders, go for open back construction (ie. no solid backspacer) for ease of cleaning and I'd highly recommend a framelock for the same reason. the problem with framelocks is that you don't get the brightly coloured handles that you like.

One thing about being in the great outdoors...folders tend to find a way of getting unclipped from your pockets (and you'd only realise it much later). I would suggest getting a neck sheath, belt sheath (if you wear belts) or just make sure it's actually in the pocket. YOu wouldn't want to tell your camping kaki...'Errr...I dropped my knife along the way, do you guys mind if we backtracked to find it?' :p

Since it would be wise to normally have a bigger knife (parang) for heavy use, you could bring a light and cheap folder like, say, an Endura with a 4" blade as a supplement. They're relatively inexpensive, have stainless VG10 blades which hold a good edge and are easy to resharpen in the field and make good gifts to guides/hosts etc.

If you are open to carrying a fixed blade, you can consider buying an inexpensive 'deba' ($30?) in the supermarket with a chisel edge and wooden handles, and you can abuse the hell out of it....and gift it to your hosts/native etc...they like stick tang blades and they will certainly make their own customised handles with the gift.

Whatever you decide, take the first step and enjoy using the tools. You'll soon find your own preferences :)

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
You can consider the DPx HEST folder for camping too.
Got bottle opener, definitely can open can food, blade is small enough to do fine whittling as well.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Dpx looks cool! N useful

Yes, that would be a nice folder but:
- you must like coated blades;
- you must get version 2.0, version 1 sucked bad;
- the blade edge is thick, so whilst it's strong, it's not as slicey as full flat ground spydies;
- make sure you bend the clip such that it's super grippy. Many of them didn't have enough tension.

I love that folder in terms of size, roto block, d2, but mine was lost enroute to me from the US, after some aftermarket work. No money or time to replace it so, it remains as an experience rather than existence:)

Btw, if you haven't already considered, fixed blades are great for camping. They work great, everyone knows how to use them, easy to clean, have versatility.

Oh, one other thing, it's hard to spark firesteels with stainless steel, imo.

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
What vespaguy said is true (get the version 2.0)
v1.0 had a couple of flaws which caused an uproar in the knife community eg. failing lock, exposed edge, etc.
People joked about it being a 'tactical slipjoint' :D
I personally never dealt with Pelton (the designer) but he was known to be quite notorious amongst the others who had bought the knife.
So I believe that was what made the 2.0 to be released.

alantcy

Reaction score
Big thanks to the folks who supported.
Whether you are a long time collector, just starting out, or simply a user of high quality knives,
it was great meeting up with you guys and have a good chat,
share our EDCs or check out each other's personal collections. :)

In the meantime, here's a sneak peek of the upcoming blades that I'll be listing.
All BNIB, never used.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/g...collectible-knives-carrying-case-4164273.html

1) *sold* Spyderco C81GP2 Para-Military 2 (Black G10)
2) Spyderco C101GPOR2 Manix 2 (Orange Sprint, only 600pcs made)
3) Spyderco C150GP Junior by DiAlex
4) Spyderco C113GPGY Caly3 Sprint (Gray G10, Aogami Super Blue)
5) Spyderco C85GP2 Yojimbo 2 by Michael Janich

Last edited:

sojourn88

Reaction score
Bump BUMP... expecting delivery this week!

The CRKT Ken Onion Ripple (3.125" blade, black with washed out white aluminium handle), pre-order now accepting at each SGD70, limited quantity only. expected delivery Late April, Early May.
specs here in CRKT site:
Ripple (Black) | EDC Folding Knife | CRKT

Alot of US sites are selling around USD38 and if shipping added for USPS, it will be more than $85.

PM me or email me here (smoothysilk@gmail.com) to order if you dont want to miss this opportunity to own a good piece of Ken Onion.

DISCLAIMER: Due to the nature of this item, please do show me your ID to ascertain your age before purchase, I do not sell to minors younger than 21 years old. The person carrying this item must be responsible and must be matured to know that this is not a toy for showing off.

pictures as shown:
ripple_orig.jpg

Ripple_Alu_058_gigersalien_wm.jpg

Ripple_Alu_003.JPG

Ripple_Alu_004.JPG

in order not to distract too much of discussion here:
check out the sales page here:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/general-merchandise-bazaar-261/crkt-ripple-linerlock-knife-ken-onion-4172468.html#post75417247

or

Smoothysilk-Harley-Davidson-Multi-Tools

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
AWESOME DAY TODAY. RECEIVED ALL KNIVES IN GREAT CONDITION, USING INT.MAIL W/O TRACKING!

Spyderco Endura 4
0AAA9566-03D0-415A-9751-51876333FF71-916-0000004323FF6DE7_zpsf03101f0.jpg

7A30E984-AD0D-46A4-B0AD-0A3691FB8481-916-000000433BB68353_zpscb06ae76.jpg

So far so good. I like the weight in the hand. Not too heavy, but still a nifty size. Not very concealable as an EDC however, you'll probably need deep pockets for this knife (pun unintended).*
The spyderco is new but w/o box. Blade spine is thick and makes slicing cardboard boxes quite tough though (tried and tested). But the edge is wicked sharp without sharpening.*
Opening is smooth and really sweet. A little flick of the wrist, accompanied by the thumb hole is perfect to whip this beast free. Easy to close with the backlock release if we let gravity do the work.*
Overall: very pleased

Kershaw shallot DLC*
52B1EFF7-C263-4B0E-92D3-D2848AB9DC2D-916-0000004340F70AAC_zps739a4dda.jpg

9CCC5268-A9DE-4339-8F5F-7F1B2ABB9998-916-0000004357804DF7_zps54ab7a8f.jpg

First touch was great. Weight is heavier than the spyderco despite it's small size. Fits the hand like a glove and tucks in nicely into my pocket even though it's rather shallow for low-waist jeans.*
This is a blemished version that proves that the blemish is almost non-existent. And the price is half of the retailing price. The spine is also quite thick, not very ideal for thick cutting of rigid materials like boxes again. Edge is freakishly sharp on touch and I'm extremely cautious when I close this folder.*
Opening is the best of what I have (though not much). The speed safe is a joy to open all day. What convenience! And the lack of thumb stud is something rare and certainly makes the blade a lot more sleek that it would have been.*
Closing isn't much fun as the blade edge comes into contact with the finger if not well handled. The torsion bar of the speed safe gives some resistance to closing the blade. Not very ideal design since the blade won't do much good if it's blunt to protect the user.*
Overall: great, but a little disappointed

Leatherman skeletool CX
D4D9540F-6FAB-4626-9C76-8DB2F0858A13-916-0000004369104421_zps8955333f.jpg

7C7CC7F8-D46E-47D7-B96F-120AE489D16A-916-000000436D708353_zps53f858f5.jpg

Very very nice to hold and fits well inside the palm. Not too blocky and thick, and grip is sufficient. Much more weight than the kershaw and certainly packs plenty of tools for it's size! The size is very manageable and great as an EDC imo. The carbiner holds onto the edge of the pockets well and I don't see how it can ever drop that way.*
Edge is very sharp, sharper than the kershaw I'd reckon. The grind of the blade makes it superb for slicing. Spine is thin and it uses a liner lock.*
Opening and closing the blade is extremely easy with 1 hand. The blade isn't too long which extends beyond the reach of the fingers, and not too short to stab your own hand while closing it.*
Overall: very satisfied*

The last is the tool I've been carrying for abuse-ment sake. A nifty palm sized imitation of the leatherman skeletool/style.*

Rolson
60F72948-ADCF-4DC2-BF7B-509793044315-916-000000437995A482_zpsb9ace20d.jpg

At only SGD$16 for this and a smaller Swiss tool, I'd say this is an absolute winner when it comes to bang-for-your-buck. I got this in Wales, UK. The blade makes it a good practice knife to sharpen. The recurve can be a challenge. Almost invisible of you clip this tool to the edge of your pocket. Not many notice I've been carrying this until I pull it out to use it on some wires.*
An imitation no doubt, but certainly well made.*
Overall: served me well

Thanks for helping me along guys! Looking forward to more knives!*

B547DC4D-5ED3-447C-B163-AEC6D7D9EA6F-916-0000004382317EC0_zpsde087334.jpg

Next on the list:
Benchmade 710 William McHenry
Hinderer XM-18 3" slicer grind
Hinderer XM-18 3" Hellfire grind
Michael Raymond Estrella

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
First day of use for all the knives.
By far, the leatherman skeletool is best. Blade is perfect for what I'm doing in my school workshop to cut waxed cotton ties and cable stuffs.
The kershaw is too unwieldy and the closing is in fact painful for my thumb due to the liner lock being too tough. I'd hope that there's a way to loosen the liner lock. :(
The spyderco wise... I'm afraid of even taking it out! Looks too beastly for EDC!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.