EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
the BM contega M4 steel folder...hmmm, the 62-64HRC and the fact that there's no rolling/chipping during that batoning test is...;)

would like to see M390 vs M4 performance.

Last edited:

hobgoblin

Reaction score
re: emerson, the A100 is a design that looks like the viper series, so maybe that is true.

the other features you've mentioned are interesting:

combo edge - unless you're doing a lot of rope cutting, the plain edge is easier to maintain (you can resharpen easily on the stone). How do you plan on sharpening the serrated portion of the CE? it won't be easy. A well sharpened PE will be able to cut rope well too, although not as effective as the serrated portion. Personally, I find PE much better.

tanto point - this feature I don't really get it. The only americanized tanto point blade that I like is on the emerson CQC6.

In any case, I think the Griptillian is a good option to consider, BM does make great axis-lock folders. And definitely the Kershaw ZT-series. Although you have said you do not like the spyderhole, I hope you will try one someday...I find the spyderhole to be one of the best opening mechanisms in folding knives, and I love the fact that it looks like an 'eye'. Spyderco's Endura/Delica/Tenacious/Persistance/Salt series are bang for the buck knives.

Thanks for some of the insight Vespaguy. I've actually looked at spyderco's catalogue and have shortlisted models like paramilitary 2, persistence and endura. I am looking for police or military. I'm actually more inclined to get the Resilence first as it's quite affordable and decide if I like the spydehole deployment.

I like tanto point because it offers a.a stronger tip. You got me there on CE sharpening issues though. I've seen sharpening kits for serrated edges but reckon that it won't be an easy feat to execute much less ruin the edge.

killstreak7

Reaction score
zt 0560

anyone has a 0560/0561 to let go? or a pm2? <-especially if its the digicam/satin/plain combo. thanks guys! hope you guys are enjoying your labour day!

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
tanto blades offer much less continuous cutting edge than droppoint. Try opening envelopes or even cutting open bags (cement, jutte etc) and you'll know what I mean. I prefer having a fine tip for my blades, just has more utility than the americanised tanto tip. I do know some prefer the tanto point because it looks 'badass'. I'm just not into 'badass' looking blades, lol.

if you're talking about rope cutting being the objective of the serrations, 1.5" of serrations aren't going to help much, IMO. You can't have effective sawing motion with only 1.5". I would go fully serrated then. And in order not to get hung up, it has been recommended that the serrations are those of the large scallop variety. I have no experience with serrations but that's what I've read.

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
We've all seen group shots, but not in this combination.. :)

2elh35v.jpg

33dccol.jpg

5ttlz4.jpg

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
spyders and butterflies, hmmm....

here's another video on the griptillian (the shaving sharp edge testing is flawed though, he shaves on the part of the edge that doesn't actually the cutting and batoning a blade doesn't abrade the edge as much as cutting):

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
spiders and butterflies... which one do you like more? :)

ndtt03.jpg

DAT 710. It shall be mine, some day...

Anyway, got a question for you guys. Recently got quite paranoid about carrying a knife out, cause my friends keep harping on police screening.

Did you guys get screened before? And what did you do/ what happened? Any do's and don'ts?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Sigmazxcs, seek to first understand the local laws. You should read up on the Arms & Explosives Act and the Corrosive & Explosives Substances & Offensive Weapons Act. Read also the Singapore Police Force website.

Here's an extract from the CESOW Act as to how wide-reaching the laws are crafted:

Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act
(CHAPTER 65)
(Original Enactment: Ordinance 26 of 1966)

REVISED EDITION 1985
(30th March 1987)
An Act to provide certain penalties relating to the unlawful possession of corrosive and explosive substances and the carrying of offensive and scheduled weapons.
[16th September 1963]
Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act.
Interpretation
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires —
“corrosive substance” means any of the acids and substances specified in the First Schedule, and shall be deemed to include all substances which are capable on application to the human body of causing hurt through corrosive action;
“explosive substance” shall be deemed to include any materials for making any explosive substance and any bomb, grenade, apparatus, machine, implement or material used or intended to be used or adapted for causing or aiding in causing any explosion in or with any explosive substance and any part of such bomb, grenade, apparatus, machine or implement;
“hurt” means hurt as defined in the Penal Code (Cap. 224);
“offensive weapon” includes any instrument which if used as a weapon of offence is likely to cause hurt;
“scheduled weapon” means any offensive weapon specified in the Second Schedule.

Carrying offensive weapons in public places
6.—(1) Any person who in any public road or place carries or has in his possession or under his control any offensive weapon otherwise than with lawful authority or for a lawful purpose shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years and shall also be punished with caning with not less than 6 strokes.
(2) In any prosecution for an offence under subsection (1), the onus of proving the existence of a lawful purpose shall lie upon the accused.
(3) A weapon shall be presumed to be carried with lawful authority if it is carried —
(a)by a member of the Singapore Armed Forces or of the Singapore Police Force or of any visiting force lawfully present in Singapore under the provisions of any law relating to visiting forces; or
(b)by any person as part of his official or ceremonial dress on any official or ceremonial occasion.
(4) An offence under subsection (1) shall be deemed to be a seizable and non-bailable offence.
[63/73]

Offences relating to scheduled weapons
7.—(1) Any person who, otherwise than for a lawful purpose
(a)carries or has in his possession or under his control;
(b)manufactures, sells or hires or offers or exposes for sale or hire; or
(c)lends or gives to any other person,
any scheduled weapon shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years and shall also be punished with caning with not less than 6 strokes, and in the case of a second or subsequent offence to imprisonment for a term of not less than 2 years and not more than 8 years and shall also be punished with caning with not less than 6 strokes.
(2) In any prosecution for an offence under subsection (1), the onus of proving the existence of a lawful purpose shall be upon the accused.
(3) An offence under subsection (1) shall be deemed to be a seizable and non-bailable offence.
[63/73]

Consorting with persons carrying offensive weapons in public places
8.—(1) Any person who consorts with, or is found in the company of, another person who is carrying or has in his possession or under his control any offensive weapon in contravention of section 6, in circumstances which raise a reasonable presumption that he knew that that other person was carrying or had in his possession or under his control any such weapon shall, unless he shall prove that he had reasonable grounds for believing that that other person was carrying or had in his possession or under his control any such weapon for a lawful purpose, be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to the like punishment as that other person with whom he was consorting or in whose company he was found.(2) An offence under this section shall be deemed to be a seizable and non-bailable offence.

Powers of search and seizure
9.—(1) Any police officer may, without warrant and with or without assistance, stop and search any person or vehicle found in any public road or place if he has reasonable grounds for believing that any evidence of the commission of an offence under this Act is likely to be found on that person or in that vehicle, and may disarm that person and seize any offensive weapon, article or material or accumulation thereof capable of being used for causing hurt if he has reasonable grounds for believing that it is intended or likely to be used in the commission of an offence under this Act.(2) Any police officer may, without warrant and with or without assistance —
(a)stop and search any person or vehicle, whether in a public road or place or not;
(b)enter and search any premises;
(c)board and search any vessel, vehicle or aircraft not being, or having the status of, a naval, military or air force vessel, vehicle or aircraft,
if he has
reasonable grounds for believing that any evidence of the commission or of the preparation for the commission of an offence under this Act is likely to be found on such person or premises or in any such vessel, vehicle or aircraft, and may seize any article or material or accumulation thereof capable of being used for causing hurt if he has reasonable grounds for believing that it is intended or likely to be used for the purpose of causing hurt, and any such evidence so found and any vessel, vehicle or aircraft in which that article, material or evidence is found.
[21/73]
(3) No woman shall be searched under this section except by a woman.

SECOND SCHEDULE
Section 2.
Scheduled Weapons
1. Any knife, sometimes known as a flick knife, which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.
2. Any knife, sometimes known as a gravity knife, which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.
3. Any whip manufactured from bicycle or motor cycle chains or from any similar kind of chainwork.
4. All kinds of knuckledusters.
5. Any blade or other instrument attached to or forming part of a bicycle pump, metal-pipe or stick, and concealed therein, which is capable of being used for cutting or stabbing.
6. Any sword, machete or parang, axe, sickle, bearing scraper, spear, bayonet, iron rod, and the nancha-ku (segments of wood or metal joined by a chain, leather strap or cord).
7. Any knife, sometimes known as a wasp knife, which is capable of injecting a ball of compressed gas that freezes both human and animal tissues and organs surrounding the point of injection.
[S 378/2009 wef 26/08/2009]

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
If LEO want to charge you for carrying a knife, they will normally deem the knife to be an offensive weapon. You will have to prove that you have a lawful purpose for such knife. So, if you are carrying a kerambit, you may just have a little bit of a challenge to do so :eek:=:p

Gardeners would not have issues with carrying sickles and parangs in their tool bag. Likewise carpenters and chefs would not have problems carrying their tools of trade (for eg. utility cutters, scrapers, kitchen knives). Guys going camping/fishing should be ok with utility knives as well.

I was once stopped by the ICA authorities upon coming back from Ubin for carrying a small bushcraft fixie. I explained to them that it was for cutting fruit and prying open coconuts - they were not too happy but it was the honest truth and I was rather polite and cooperative. Plus I was on my mountainbike and the blade was kept in my backpack.

Last edited:

viking

Reaction score
Is there a law regarding carrying folders with blades longer than 7.62cm / 3inches in public.
UK laws are very strict about carrying knives. To legally carry a folding knife, it must be 3 inches or less, and must not have a lock (e.g. liner lock, frame lock, axis lock, etc).

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singapore laws are worst.

Any kind of knife police finds on you, they will deem it as a offensive item.

Letter opener is not a good excuse. You have no business keeping a knife on your body.

Unless...

1) You going camping trip. Have a survival knife on you.

2) You are a police officer on duty.

3) Military on mission.

Even if so, if you were found to be near a crime scene... they will still arrest you.

The worst is you go into a conflict on the road with a bully. Later police find a knife on you, and in court that will go against you.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
unless you're packing some camp gear or fishing equipment, it's better not to edc any folders larger than keychain sized.

I've been officially warned before carrying a spydeco persistence and it's was frowned upon by the authorities.. mind you that was even when I was on site setting up rigging equipment for a film production and we even had auxillary police on site.. they're ok with us carrying large tool type cutters but not such folders deemed as tactical..

On the other hand, ICA are a little more ok when I pass through immigration with my fixed.. probably cause I was either on also packing camp or dive equipment though..

I feel age matters.. when I was carrying knives on offshore fishing or dive trips when I was under 21, the authorities are abit stricter.. now at the age past 30, I had lesser issues.. or probably because my user knives are pretty beat up now.. lol

Sonic69

Reaction score

I have to say I prefer butterflies! :D

It is exactly because of these strict laws against carrying knives on our person that I sold off a number of mine and switched to buying/collecting straight razors. At least I can use my razors everyday.

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Sigmazxcs, seek to first understand the local laws. You should read up on the Arms & Explosives Act and the Corrosive & Explosives Substances & Offensive Weapons Act. Read also the Singapore Police Force website.

Here's an extract from the CESOW Act as to how wide-reaching the laws are crafted:

Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act
(CHAPTER 65)
(Original Enactment: Ordinance 26 of 1966)

REVISED EDITION 1985
(30th March 1987)
An Act to provide certain penalties relating to the unlawful possession of corrosive and explosive substances and the carrying of offensive and scheduled weapons.
[16th September 1963]
Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the Corrosive and Explosive Substances and Offensive Weapons Act.
Interpretation
2. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires —
“corrosive substance” means any of the acids and substances specified in the First Schedule, and shall be deemed to include all substances which are capable on application to the human body of causing hurt through corrosive action;
“explosive substance” shall be deemed to include any materials for making any explosive substance and any bomb, grenade, apparatus, machine, implement or material used or intended to be used or adapted for causing or aiding in causing any explosion in or with any explosive substance and any part of such bomb, grenade, apparatus, machine or implement;
“hurt” means hurt as defined in the Penal Code (Cap. 224);
“offensive weapon” includes any instrument which if used as a weapon of offence is likely to cause hurt;
“scheduled weapon” means any offensive weapon specified in the Second Schedule.

Carrying offensive weapons in public places
6.—(1) Any person who in any public road or place carries or has in his possession or under his control any offensive weapon otherwise than with lawful authority or for a lawful purpose shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years and shall also be punished with caning with not less than 6 strokes.
(2) In any prosecution for an offence under subsection (1), the onus of proving the existence of a lawful purpose shall lie upon the accused.
(3) A weapon shall be presumed to be carried with lawful authority if it is carried —
(a)by a member of the Singapore Armed Forces or of the Singapore Police Force or of any visiting force lawfully present in Singapore under the provisions of any law relating to visiting forces; or
(b)by any person as part of his official or ceremonial dress on any official or ceremonial occasion.
(4) An offence under subsection (1) shall be deemed to be a seizable and non-bailable offence.
[63/73]

Offences relating to scheduled weapons
7.—(1) Any person who, otherwise than for a lawful purpose
(a)carries or has in his possession or under his control;
(b)manufactures, sells or hires or offers or exposes for sale or hire; or
(c)lends or gives to any other person,
any scheduled weapon shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years and shall also be punished with caning with not less than 6 strokes, and in the case of a second or subsequent offence to imprisonment for a term of not less than 2 years and not more than 8 years and shall also be punished with caning with not less than 6 strokes.
(2) In any prosecution for an offence under subsection (1), the onus of proving the existence of a lawful purpose shall be upon the accused.
(3) An offence under subsection (1) shall be deemed to be a seizable and non-bailable offence.
[63/73]

Consorting with persons carrying offensive weapons in public places
8.—(1) Any person who consorts with, or is found in the company of, another person who is carrying or has in his possession or under his control any offensive weapon in contravention of section 6, in circumstances which raise a reasonable presumption that he knew that that other person was carrying or had in his possession or under his control any such weapon shall, unless he shall prove that he had reasonable grounds for believing that that other person was carrying or had in his possession or under his control any such weapon for a lawful purpose, be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to the like punishment as that other person with whom he was consorting or in whose company he was found.(2) An offence under this section shall be deemed to be a seizable and non-bailable offence.

Powers of search and seizure
9.—(1) Any police officer may, without warrant and with or without assistance, stop and search any person or vehicle found in any public road or place if he has reasonable grounds for believing that any evidence of the commission of an offence under this Act is likely to be found on that person or in that vehicle, and may disarm that person and seize any offensive weapon, article or material or accumulation thereof capable of being used for causing hurt if he has reasonable grounds for believing that it is intended or likely to be used in the commission of an offence under this Act.(2) Any police officer may, without warrant and with or without assistance —
(a)stop and search any person or vehicle, whether in a public road or place or not;
(b)enter and search any premises;
(c)board and search any vessel, vehicle or aircraft not being, or having the status of, a naval, military or air force vessel, vehicle or aircraft,
if he has
reasonable grounds for believing that any evidence of the commission or of the preparation for the commission of an offence under this Act is likely to be found on such person or premises or in any such vessel, vehicle or aircraft, and may seize any article or material or accumulation thereof capable of being used for causing hurt if he has reasonable grounds for believing that it is intended or likely to be used for the purpose of causing hurt, and any such evidence so found and any vessel, vehicle or aircraft in which that article, material or evidence is found.
[21/73]
(3) No woman shall be searched under this section except by a woman.

SECOND SCHEDULE
Section 2.
Scheduled Weapons
1. Any knife, sometimes known as a flick knife, which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.
2. Any knife, sometimes known as a gravity knife, which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.
3. Any whip manufactured from bicycle or motor cycle chains or from any similar kind of chainwork.
4. All kinds of knuckledusters.
5. Any blade or other instrument attached to or forming part of a bicycle pump, metal-pipe or stick, and concealed therein, which is capable of being used for cutting or stabbing.
6. Any sword, machete or parang, axe, sickle, bearing scraper, spear, bayonet, iron rod, and the nancha-ku (segments of wood or metal joined by a chain, leather strap or cord).
7. Any knife, sometimes known as a wasp knife, which is capable of injecting a ball of compressed gas that freezes both human and animal tissues and organs surrounding the point of injection.
[S 378/2009 wef 26/08/2009]

So basically, it is illegal to carry my kershaw shallot as an EDC unless I have a legit reason?
Cause I'm still studying and currently at internship that deals with aircraft maintenance. I can't seem to figure out any legit reasons that can be used in my favor. :( any thoughts?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there a law regarding carrying folders with blades longer than 7.62cm / 3inches in public.
UK laws are very strict about carrying knives. To legally carry a folding knife, it must be 3 inches or less, and must not have a lock (e.g. liner lock, frame lock, axis lock, etc).

We don't have specific laws like this. However internal guidelines issued to our boys in blue are not available to the general public.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
So basically, it is illegal to carry my kershaw shallot as an EDC unless I have a legit reason?
Cause I'm still studying and currently at internship that deals with aircraft maintenance. I can't seem to figure out any legit reasons that can be used in my favor. :( any thoughts?

I don't think anyone can give you an unequivocal aye/nay. If the shallot is a tiny keychain folder, perhaps one could argue that it's for opening mail ;). But just be aware of the ambit of the laws.

Multitools and SAKs are generally OK, as per a discussion I once had with a friendly LEO.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

I have to say I prefer butterflies! :D

It is exactly because of these strict laws against carrying knives on our person that I sold off a number of mine and switched to buying/collecting straight razors. At least I can use my razors everyday.

The laws on carrying "offensive weapons" in public would apply to razors too, just saying ;)

Buying and collecting non-scheduled items or items not regarded as 'arms' (see definition under Arms and Explosives Act) is viewed rather differently from carrying them, thus it is legal to sell them in Singapore.

Last edited:

vinn

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got a verbal warning for carrying a saf emart victorinox pocket tool on
my keychain.
cant really blame them, i was stop during their routine crime prevention
check for robbery ard dat area.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.